• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint/Cricket] Unroot to be able to install latest Update?

Frogbone

Well-Known Member
Is it worth to unroot in order to install the latest update? Is it even possible?

Currently rooted with stock ROM.
 
Downloading L710VPUDND8 right now. What do I do with this? Flash it? Is there anything else I need to do before doing that ? Will this be the same as updating it OTA?
 
You flash it via Odin in pda if it comes in a tar format (never had to dl official firmware so I'm not 100% positive)

Same as taking OTA yea but without having to flash the stock recovery to install.
 
You flash it via Odin in pda if it comes in a tar format (never had to dl official firmware so I'm not 100% positive)

Same as taking OTA yea but without having to flash the stock recovery to install.

So I won't lose any of my apps and data? Will I lose root?
 
Ok, that makes sense. That's kinda what I want to do. I looked around a bit but couldn't find clear info so is there a root method out for ND8 ?
 
Thanks for the link. I'm almost afraid doing this as the instructions seem to be a bit vague at times for a novice. They probably make perfect sense to an expert.
 
Instructions
Once all the files are downloaded extract Chainfire's CF auto root
Move the desamsungnizer and the superuser app to your SD card [ Not Clear]


Next open Odin
Reboot your phone to download mode for people who don't know how to power off the phone and press volume down home and power then press volume up to confirm
Make sure auto reboot and repartition is not checked
Click PDA and select the recovery image When your phone is connected press start and let it flash [What recovery image]
Once complete remove your USB cord and battery put battery back in after a few seconds and reboot to recovery (volume up+home+power)
Choose install zip from sd card and choose the supersu Zip file [Where is this?]
Confirm flash and then flash the desamsungnizer file [Wher is this? And what all does it remove?]
After complete reboot phone it may day android is upgrading when the phone fully powers on go to manage appliations and go to all and scroll down and see if you see super su if so then all went well if not retry from odin step
OK next go to the play store and download root checker superuser update fixer
superuser
Root checker
terminal emulatoremulator
Nobloat free

Ok open up superuser update fixer and force fix the binary and you should get a root request popup agree and close the app open terminal emulator and type the following lines

su[enter]
pm disable com.sec.knox.seandroid

*NOTE - the above to lines require you to go to a new line after typing "su", the [enter] is only a reminder, DO NOT type [enter] after su

This disabled KNOX for me - but that wasnt good enough for me - I was out for blood at this point.

I then used NoBloat free to remove any of the left overs of knox

Also for a custom recovery just download team win recovery project
Now you're good to go to flash ROMs and whatever else you would like to do [ Don't I need a custom recovery before I do all this?]
 
Ya know... i have an old s3 still running 4.1.2 Lmmfao. No need for any of this on my old s3. I never took the 4.3 update so i dont have Knox. Just flash md4 count reset zip and all is well in paradise.
 
Everything should be in the autoroot zip you downloaded if you extracted it.

I'll download it to see if all the correct files are there for me.

@DaisFlaque same here, still on 4.1.2 to avoid Knox and all those headaches :rofl:
 
Ok, I think I m ready to do this today but wanted to confirm a coupe things first.

- First I backup what I need from my phone
- Flash new firmware via Odin (downloaded from Sammobile)
- Root as per instructions in xda link provided by DragonSlayer

Is this the correct sequence ?

Thanks guys !!

PS: At what point do I flash the new recovery? Can I flash that right after I flash the new firmware? I have to in order to root again, right?

And the firmware file I downloaded has the extension .tar.md5 , I assume I remove the md5 and have the file extension be .tar ?
 
Yes that's the correct sequence.

You'll want to flash the recovery after you flash the firmware, if you do it before then it'll wipe out the recovery you just flashed.

No, you leave the recovery extensions the way the are, it will flash fine with the md5 extension.
 
Ok, this seems odd .....

I flashed the ND8 firmware with Odin. I confirmed in the Settings that it's not MK3 anymore.

However....all my apps etc. are still there. Phone looks exactly like I did before.......

The only thing I lost is root...

Is that right? I thought I would lose everything by flashing the firmware?
 
Back
Top Bottom