• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint...I used to stick up for you...

jen8112

Android Enthusiast
...now I don't know if I can. It started a few months ago. Sprint took away all discounts on lines past the second line...my bill went up $10. Then it was some unknown new fee or tax or something...my bill went up $10. I had an upgrade in Nov and purposely didn't get a 4g phone because I didn't want to pay the extra $10 a month but surprise!... my bill is going up another $20 a month for having 2 smartphones! Yes I know, still cheaper than Verizon. And yes I know, won't get the new $10 until I upgrade BUT now I'm stuck with my Optimus for 2 years?! I never would have got this phone if I knew I would be stuck with it for TWO YEARS! I've been sticking up for Sprint for years and now I just feel betrayed by them!

I was thinking the bill should not go up for any plans with non-4G devices until we renew our contract with Sprint. If one renews their contract with Optimus S (a non-4G device) before Jan 30, 2011, there should be no change in the bill.

In the case of @jen8112 who upgraded in Nov 2010, there should be no change in the bill and should be eligible for an upgrade in Nov 2011. Do you mean your bill already went up by $10?

Yes. I am stuck with my Optimus for 2 years and when I upgrade...in 2 years...to another smartphone my bill will go up $10. My husband can't upgrade for 2 years anyway and when he goes he's going to downgrade to a dumb phone. I'm really thinking of bailing to Boost.

Something is not right. I re-read the announcement about the new charges. The keypoints say:
- ...Sprint is applying its $10 Premium Data add-on charge to all smartphone activations beginning Jan. 30, 2011.
- Existing Sprint smartphone customers are not affected unless they upgrade to or activate another smartphone.

Right, when I upgrade to a new smartphone they will add $10 a month. BUT I can't upgrade until 11/2012 now!

...now I don't know if I can. It started a few months ago. Sprint took away all discounts on lines past the second line...my bill went up $10. Then it was some unknown new fee or tax or something...my bill went up $10. I had an upgrade in Nov and purposely didn't get a 4g phone because I didn't want to pay the extra $10 a month but surprise!... my bill is going up another $20 a month for having 2 smartphones! Yes I know, still cheaper than Verizon. And yes I know, won't get the new $10 until I upgrade BUT now I'm stuck with my Optimus for 2 years?! I never would have got this phone if I knew I would be stuck with it for TWO YEARS! I've been sticking up for Sprint for years and now I just feel betrayed by them!

Yep.

I have some bad news for everyone. Price of milk in 1960, .49 cents. I think we should get online and complain that the price of gas was .31 cents and now is 3 dollars a gallon. Please start a post about that under other news. The 10 dollar fee was never for 4g, it was the extra data use. Now that all the phones are becoming more and more like the 4g phones, the data fee is going to be increased. If you don't like sprint, you can do to things. 1.) Don't sign contracts. 2.) Go elsewhere. I here that verizon has good service, just jump over there. But if you don't like the price, don't get go with sprint, pure and simple.

I have some bad news for everyone. Price of milk in 1960, .49 cents. I think we should get online and complain that the price of gas was .31 cents and now is 3 dollars a gallon. Please start a post about that under other news. The 10 dollar fee was never for 4g, it was the extra data use. Now that all the phones are becoming more and more like the 4g phones, the data fee is going to be increased. If you don't like sprint, you can do to things. 1.) Don't sign contracts. 2.) Go elsewhere. I here that verizon has good service, just jump over there. But if you don't like the price, don't get go with sprint, pure and simple.

It's not that prices are going up, it's why do we stay with Sprint over Verizon?

It's not that prices are going up, it's why do we stay with Sprint over Verizon?

And why am I going to stay with Sprint when Verizon isn't much more money anymore and I can get the Droid series phones, not to mention the iPhone! ;)

And why am I going to stay with Sprint when Verizon isn't much more money anymore and I can get the Droid series phones, not to mention the iPhone! ;)

As much as i dont like the iphone i think it can be used against sprint.

Because even if I add the $10 to all my lines I am still saving over $100 a month on sprint..... For the SAME EXACT reception....

But when will it stop? When do we say, enough is enough. I for one will strongly consider metro pcs when my contract expires.

Because even if I add the $10 to all my lines I am still saving over $100 a month on sprint..... For the SAME EXACT reception....

How the heck would you save over $100?!

But when will it stop? When do we say, enough is enough. I for one will strongly consider metro pcs when my contract expires.

Just a warning, check out Metro PCS before you jump. I believe the $40 plan doesn't include things like caller ID and notifications for Facebook and stuff like that. I thought about them too. I'm most likely going to Boost.

Actually, it is NOT the SAME EXACT reception. There are areas of verizons 3G that just wont roam with Sprint. (Legacy). Furthermore, Sprint subscibers are givin much less priority on VZW's towers while roaming. So while being close, it's not the same.

So my cell reception has nothing to do with where I live and travel? :confused: I was under the impression it did. Dang maybe I am a noob. *sarcasm*

Not when comparing "same exact" versus another carrier. No two carriers have the "same exact" coverage in any area of the world. Period.

Not when comparing "same exact" versus another carrier. No two carriers have the "same exact" coverage in any area of the world. Period.

Well I have had both in all the same exact locations that I live and travel. I get the same reception. So for me Sprint is $100 cheaper a month for the same reception. For you it may not be. But for me it is.

@MissJennell
Take it from a 6 and a 1/2 year Sprint customer and a 5 year Verizon customer via my employer. Sprint coverage is absolute garbage compared to Verizon here in NY where they both have towers up and when I roam my data speeds significantly take a hit.

Now with the Evo 4G I have hit 10MB/s down and about 0.9-1.0up (that's my record) mind you this is rare and keeping a 4G wimax connection up well, I won't even go there. With a 4G LTE card my regular soft cap varies from 24-26 down and 1.5 to sometimes 2.0MB/s up. Not to mention up at my in-laws' place in PA I have no Sprint coverage what so ever due to being buried between 2 mountains on each side of the town, meanwhile I still have 2-3 bars there with my Verizon phone. Same coverage heck no!

You MUST have been delusional or were heavily medicated at the time you wrote this. Take it from a 6 and a 1/2 year Sprint customer and a 5 year Verizon customer via my employer. Sprint coverage is absolute garbage compared to Verizon here in NY where they both have towers up and when I roam my data speeds significantly take a hit.

Now with the Evo 4G I have hit 10MB/s down and about 0.9-1.0up (that's my record). With a 4G LTE card my regular soft cap varies from 24-26 down and 1.5 to sometimes 2.0MB/s up. Not to mention up at my in-laws' place in PA I have no Sprint coverage what so ever due to being buried between 2 mountains on each side of the town, meanwhile I still have 2-3 bars there with my Verizon phone. Same coverage heck no!

I'd really like to see a video of Verizon LTE reaching those speeds.

You MUST have been delusional or were heavily medicated at the time you wrote this. Take it from a 6 and a 1/2 year Sprint customer and a 5 year Verizon customer via my employer. Sprint coverage is absolute garbage compared to Verizon here in NY where they both have towers up and when I roam my data speeds significantly take a hit.

Now with the Evo 4G I have hit 10MB/s down and about 0.9-1.0up (that's my record) mind you this is rare and keeping a 4G wimax connection up well, I won't even go there. With a 4G LTE card my regular soft cap varies from 24-26 down and 1.5 to sometimes 2.0MB/s up. Not to mention up at my in-laws' place in PA I have no Sprint coverage what so ever due to being buried between 2 mountains on each side of the town, meanwhile I still have 2-3 bars there with my Verizon phone. Same coverage heck no!

Well seeing as how I live on the west coast and not NY I get the same reception on Sprint as I got with VZW. I am glad that you have been with both for so long but I could give two sh#@s how long you have been with either. I was with vzw for 8 years and sprint for 5. Good for us. :confused: Who cares how long. What matters is how they are now.

Back