• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint...I used to stick up for you...

I'd really like to see a video of Verizon LTE reaching those speeds.

I don't have anything to make a video right now but here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-GYDewIaG0&feature=player_embedded#!
Mind you he did that speed test with ONE bar of service, and look at the results.

MissJenell said:
What matters is how they are now.

Did you read my post? I never said was I'm talking about current customer I have both right now one as my provider, the other via my employer as of RIGHT NOW Verizon is leaps and bounds ahead of Sprint, as they were years ago don't expect that to change anytime soon. Matter of a fact much of Sprint's coverage map is because of Verizon.

I don't have anything to make a video right now but here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-GYDewIaG0&feature=player_embedded#!
Mind you he did that speed test with ONE bar of service, and look at the results.

Did you read my post? I never said was I'm talking about current customer I have both right now one as my provider, the other via my employer as of RIGHT NOW Verizon is leaps and bounds ahead of Sprint, as they were years ago don't expect that to change anytime soon. Matter of a fact much of Sprint's coverage map is because of Verizon.

I also have both as of RIGHT NOW. And where I AM AT and TRAVEL they are the same. If one works better for you than the other then go with what works for you.

Please stop the bickering and insulting each other. If you want to debate, debate the issue and not the user. Attacking members on the Forum is not allow. We are adults here and I would think we can act maturely and post accordingly. I've cleaned up the posts in this tread so that it's more pleasent to read. Please re-read the Site Rules/Guidelines if you haven't done so to refresh yourself what is and is not acceptable to post. If you don't like a post? REPORT it! DO NOT RESPOND TO THE POST! Doing so, will only make the situation worst.

Regards,
-Roze-
Your friendly neighbourhood Moderator

And jumping from one thread to another to continue the insults isn't cool either. I enjoy the debates here, but it does seem to easily turn from debate to insult far too often.

This is what they sent me this morning.

Thank you for your reply. We do value your business and would like for you to remain a customer with us. We do understand the impact these changes may have on some of our customers and are aware that these changes won't necessarily be welcomed. We hope customers still understand and appreciate the value they receive with Sprint. We are currently considering the feedback received from customers relating these changes.

This is what they sent me this morning.

WOW!! So what they're really saying is "We know this is going to create a HUGE issue with our customers & many of them will be really pissed off. We're just holding our breath that everyone calms down before they sign a new contract with Verizon. We know we have a crappy selection of phones (comparatively) & crappy service in some areas but we're hoping if we just keep smiling everyone will ignore those minor details."

That's why more customers need to email Dan@sprint.com. I don't think it will do any good but it sure helps spend some resources. Think of the man power needed to answer 1 million emails.

WOW!! So what they're really saying is "We know this is going to create a HUGE issue with our customers & many of them will be really pissed off. We're just holding our breath that everyone calms down before they sign a new contract with Verizon. We know we have a crappy selection of phones (comparatively) & crappy service in some areas but we're hoping if we just keep smiling everyone will ignore those minor details."

I am still confused on most of these opinions I am reading.

Quality of phone selection is going to be strictly matter of opinion is it not? 1 in ever 4 consumers is going to be looking for something completely different than the other 3 are they not?

and I'm still not grasping this repeated posting of "Verizon is cheaper" Have math skills seriously gone down the drain?

$69.99 + $10 still equals $79.99 for unlimited data, free nights and weekends, and unlimited mobile to mobile right?

$39.99 + $29.99 still equals $69.99 for unlimited data, free nights and weekends, and ....OH LOOK..no mobile to mobile....so lets see... I used 997 mobile to mobile minutes last month and 198 anytime minutes for a total of 1195 minutes right. We are going to say these minutes were daytime non weekend...as they most likely were. So what, 1195-450 minutes allocated to this Verizon Plan right which is what 745 of overage multiplied by the .45 per minute fee for overage for a total of $335.25 in overage fees.

Sweet...Verizon $405.23 (plus tax) Oh snap! messaging isn't included...tack on $10
Sprint $79.99 (plus tax)

So now it's a little less dramatic if you compare the unlimited plans yes...but Verizon is still $10 more.

I only did a quick look at the family plans.. they look to be the same... $50-100 more than Sprint due to the way they are structured, depending on how many phones you have on there.

Just a warning, check out Metro PCS before you jump. I believe the $40 plan doesn't include things like caller ID and notifications for Facebook and stuff like that. I thought about them too. I'm most likely going to Boost.
Umm. You do realize that both Metro PCS and Boost Mobile are owned by Sprint, don't you? But I do get your point - for people who do not need a prime data network and want to pay less, prepaid is a great way to go.

Who told you metro pcs was owned by sprint?

Umm. You do realize that both Metro PCS and Boost Mobile are owned by Sprint, don't you? But I do get your point - for people who do not need a prime data network and want to pay less, prepaid is a great way to go.

I used 997 mobile to mobile minutes last month and 198 anytime minutes for a total of 1195 minutes right. We are going to say these minutes were daytime non weekend...as they most likely were. So what, 1195-450 minutes allocated to this Verizon Plan right which is what 745 of overage multiplied by the .45 per minute fee for overage for a total of $335.25 in overage fees.
While your point that Sprint still has the best value overall is well taken, the above comparison is completely unfair. If you use a total of 1195 anytime minutes on Verizon, you obviously wouldn't pick the 450 minute plan! You would pick the $79.99 plan that includes unlimited texting, 900 anytime minutes plus unlimited calling to any 5 numbers you choose on any network. If the calls you are talking about is mostly to 5 or less people, this would totally work for you. Even if it isn't, you can choose the unlimited calling plan on Verizon with unlimited texting for $89.99 a month. So it would be that, plus $29.99 for data. Which would run you a total off $110 or $120 a month, depending on which calling plan you chose. Sprint would do all of that for $80 a month if you are activating a smart phone after 1/30, or for $70 a month as long as you retain your current phone. So the difference is still significant, but let's not inflate it by assuming huge overage charges from Verizon that no one has a reason to pay since you can just pick another plan.

Note that the above also assumes that these people you are calling with your Any Mobile Anytime minutes are not on Verizon. Which, if they are, you would get unlimited calling to as a Verizon customer anyway, even with a 450 minute plan.

It was the only way to compare apples to apples. The real point was the lack of mobile to mobile

I know no one on Verizon. I am in Dallas. From those that I know that have switched from it the Verizon coverage seriously blows in my area...but it should be noted that I have never personally used Verizon.

It was the only way to compare apples to apples. The real point was the lack of mobile to mobile

I know no one on Verizon. I am in Dallas. From those that I know that have switched from it the Verizon coverage seriously blows in my area...but it should be noted that I have never personally used Verizon.
How is it comparing Apples to Apples when all your needs can be met with a $120 plan (at the most expensive price point) from Verizon (which includes unlimited calling, texting and web) and you're talking about some $400+ bill? Yes Verizon lacks any mobile anytime, but the unlimited plan obviously lets you call any mobile phone (or any other phone) anytime.

If you are talking about comparing both company's 450 minute plans, then I guess so, but it's a completely unrealistic comparison since no one in your situation would actually choose the 450 minute plan and pay overages instead of just going with the unlimited plan.

you are simply viewing it from a different perspective. point being..I don't have to be on the unlimited $110 sprint plan to accomplish what I have right now on the $79.99

and yes, to accomplish near the same on Verizon I would have to do the $120 plan. My description is apples 450 minute plan vs apples 450 minute plan. Your description is apples vs oranges....

and realistically...there is no apples vs apples as Verizon's structure works differently

for the record...I like neither apples, nor oranges

Ok I just read on SU that someone said that one of their Sprint surcharges went up this month. Sure enough I checked mine and it went up. Federal-Univ Serv Assess Non-LD fee went from $2.12 to $2.55. Will this let us out with no ETF? People over on SU are saying no. I just figured I'd check here too. Here is the fee explanation:

Sprint Surcharges are rates we choose to collect from you to help defray costs imposed on us. Surcharges are not taxes on you or amounts we are required to collect from you by law. Surcharges other charges incurred to recover costs associated with governmental programs, and certain taxes imposed upon Sprint. The amounts, and the components used to calculate Surcharge amounts, are subject to change.

wow.. that sure sounds.. fishy.. so open ended.. so up to them.. so gray area.
I wonder if other carriers have these same surcharges and what amounts are they?

and.. I doubt it will get you out of your contract... that last line protects them.

wow.. that sure sounds.. fishy.. so open ended.. so up to them.. so gray area.
I wonder if other carriers have these same surcharges and what amounts are they?

and.. I doubt it will get you out of your contract... that last line protects them.

Yes, but it says the same thing for administrative fees and regulatory fees. People can get out for those two fees. It does state that it is not a tax or government imposed fee on all three also.

Administrative Charge
The Administrative Charge is applied per line, per month by Sprint to help defray various costs imposed on Sprint by other telecommunications carriers, including, but not limited to, charges imposed by local telephone companies for delivery of calls from our customers to their landline customers and for certain network facilities and services we must purchase from them. The Administrative Charge is not a tax and is not an amount we are required to collect from you by law. The Administrative Charge and the components used to calculate this charge are subject to change from time to time.

Regulatory Charge
The Regulatory Charge is assessed per line, per month by Sprint to help defray costs of various federal, state, and local regulatory programs. The Regulatory Charge is not a tax and is not an amount we are required to collect from you by law. The Regulatory Charge and the components used to calculate this charge are subject to change from time to time.

Federal & State Universal Service Fund Assessment
Federal: All interstate telecommunications service providers are required to contribute to the Federal Universal Service Fund (USF). The Federal USF subsidizes telecommunications services in rural and high-cost areas, services for low-income consumers, and services for schools, libraries, and rural health care providers. Sprint charges a monthly fee per line to recover the cost of these contributions and may include other charges also related to this governmental program. There are different assessment rates applicable to long distance and international charges, and to non-long distance charges, creating two line items on the invoice. This charge is not a tax or a government-imposed fee. The rate of this monthly charge can vary quarterly based on the USF contribution factor established by the Federal Communications Commission.
State: Telecommunication service providers may also be required to contribute to a State Universal Service Fund (USF). The funds collected may be used to assist in providing universal service and to a variety of other programs at the state level. This charge is not a tax or government-imposed fee.

Back