• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint...I used to stick up for you...

Yes, but it says the same thing for administrative fees and regulatory fees. People can get out for those two fees. It does state that it is not a tax or government imposed fee on all three also.

Administrative Charge
The Administrative Charge is applied per line, per month by Sprint to help defray various costs imposed on Sprint by other telecommunications carriers, including, but not limited to, charges imposed by local telephone companies for delivery of calls from our customers to their landline customers and for certain network facilities and services we must purchase from them. The Administrative Charge is not a tax and is not an amount we are required to collect from you by law. The Administrative Charge and the components used to calculate this charge are subject to change from time to time.

Regulatory Charge
The Regulatory Charge is assessed per line, per month by Sprint to help defray costs of various federal, state, and local regulatory programs. The Regulatory Charge is not a tax and is not an amount we are required to collect from you by law. The Regulatory Charge and the components used to calculate this charge are subject to change from time to time.

Federal & State Universal Service Fund Assessment
Federal: All interstate telecommunications service providers are required to contribute to the Federal Universal Service Fund (USF). The Federal USF subsidizes telecommunications services in rural and high-cost areas, services for low-income consumers, and services for schools, libraries, and rural health care providers. Sprint charges a monthly fee per line to recover the cost of these contributions and may include other charges also related to this governmental program. There are different assessment rates applicable to long distance and international charges, and to non-long distance charges, creating two line items on the invoice. This charge is not a tax or a government-imposed fee. The rate of this monthly charge can vary quarterly based on the USF contribution factor established by the Federal Communications Commission.
State: Telecommunication service providers may also be required to contribute to a State Universal Service Fund (USF). The funds collected may be used to assist in providing universal service and to a variety of other programs at the state level. This charge is not a tax or government-imposed fee.

hmm...that's the exact same thing we have here in Canada. I didn't realize people in the US get those charges too. How much are you paying for all of the charges? I pay $6.99 total.

While your point that Sprint still has the best value overall is well taken, the above comparison is completely unfair. If you use a total of 1195 anytime minutes on Verizon, you obviously wouldn't pick the 450 minute plan! You would pick the $79.99 plan that includes unlimited texting, 900 anytime minutes plus unlimited calling to any 5 numbers you choose on any network. If the calls you are talking about is mostly to 5 or less people, this would totally work for you. Even if it isn't, you can choose the unlimited calling plan on Verizon with unlimited texting for $89.99 a month. So it would be that, plus $29.99 for data. Which would run you a total off $110 or $120 a month, depending on which calling plan you chose. Sprint would do all of that for $80 a month if you are activating a smart phone after 1/30, or for $70 a month as long as you retain your current phone. So the difference is still significant, but let's not inflate it by assuming huge overage charges from Verizon that no one has a reason to pay since you can just pick another plan.

Note that the above also assumes that these people you are calling with your Any Mobile Anytime minutes are not on Verizon. Which, if they are, you would get unlimited calling to as a Verizon customer anyway, even with a 450 minute plan.

Not to mention, if you have overages in a month, VZW is happy to bump you up to a new plan. And, in mid-contract, if you are not using all of your minutes, they are happy to bump you down.

I think Sprint charges for that, do they not?

It was the only way to compare apples to apples. The real point was the lack of mobile to mobile

I know no one on Verizon. I am in Dallas. From those that I know that have switched from it the Verizon coverage seriously blows in my area...but it should be noted that I have never personally used Verizon.

Yes, VZW in Texas sucks. VZW also sucks around Victorville, CA. In those two areas, Sprint beats VZW hands down as far as coverage.

As far as why? In TX, Sprint had a giant head start: They owned the Telco there. In NY, VZW has had a huge jump start on Sprint, because Verizon owns the telco lines here.

hmm...that's the exact same thing we have here in Canada. I didn't realize people in the US get those charges too. How much are you paying for all of the charges? I pay $6.99 total.

Mine was up to $6.72 this month.

sprint started the auto bump thing a few years ago. Not sure if they continue to do so, but they did it in the past

guys you can pick it apart all you want..the logic and math is there. comparing the sprint $69.99 plan to a different plan on Verizon that costs more only proves my point further, only by different means.

I'm looking to cancel to go pre-paid not to Verizon. Would save me at lest $60 a month before the $10 fee goes into effect.

$60 a month?? how?

Right now, before the $10 smartphone fee which would effect 2 of my lines, I am paying $160 for 3 phones on Sprint. I can switch to Virgin Mobile for $40 each for of the 2 phones. The third phone is my son's and he never uses it unless he goes to a friends house or I leave him home alone for a little bit so I could get away with getting a minute plan for him for $20 or less. Not to mention I have been getting an upgrade every year and can not go 2 years with the same phone. ;)

other than.. one is post pay and other is pre paid.
boost and sprint are the same company.
boost is way cheaper.

what are the negatives?? there has to be something!

same with MetroPCS.. we can program our Sprint phones to work on that network.. and it is $40-50 unlimited everything.

so.. what does Sprint have over them?

i guess 1 thing is 4G.

^ I want to say my brother was saying Metro will be using LTE but I can't remember. Their coverage is pretty week in Dallas but it is getting better. (he carries two phones...one metro, one att) He has been working for them since the move here 8 or 9 years ago.

and what does he have to say about them? is there a difference?

btw.. my sprint price is great.. better than metro pcs.. I aint leaving.
I am just asking for general knowledge.

other than.. one is post pay and other is pre paid.
boost and sprint are the same company.
boost is way cheaper.

what are the negatives?? there has to be something!

same with MetroPCS.. we can program our Sprint phones to work on that network.. and it is $40-50 unlimited everything.

so.. what does Sprint have over them?

i guess 1 thing is 4G.

The only thing that is different is that Boost doesn't roam on Verizon towers. I guess it's so much cheaper because they don't have to pay Verizon to use their towers. I wanted to switch to Boost when they first came out with the $50 unlimited plan but I was scared that it was a bait and switch and they could drop the plan whenever they wanted. Well it's been like 2 years and they still have the plan and it's gotten even better with Shrinkage so I can't find a reason not to switch, besides the Sprint ETF. Where I live has great Sprint service so we don't really roam on Verizons towers so my coverage should be the same. The same thing goes with Virgin because they also use Sprints towers but also have 3G.

And yes Metro is going to have 4G on LTE but I from what I gather the $40 plan doesn't include things like caller ID, call waiting and notifications.

that is correct..their unlimited everything plan on metro is now 50 I think..and the 4g is going to be $60 from what I remember.

my bro's opinion on metro..they are great to work for. he is super exited about the coming of 4g and says it will blow sprints 4g away. His gripe..lack of super awesome phones. The phones at Metro really are crap.

As for ATT... he never gets service...he has the iphone 4..which replaced a 3gs. He is on his 4th Iphone 4 they keep having something go wrong. Oh, and did I mention he never gets service lol. He tried a Iphone 4 against Evo with me back in July. He got upset, put it in his pocket and left the room. I am not putting much credit in that though...I have had poor coverage/network issues doing side by side comparisons and the evo was put to shame :(

Sprint is cheaper anyway you look at it unless your comparing it to a 2nd teir phone company IMO (Not the Big 3).

The cheapest plan with another carrier is still no bargain if you don't have good coverage. Virgin? Pu-lease!

Wimax - not nationwide. LTE - not nationwide. Which is better - neither.

As to the principle of data control, the carriers pushing LTE certainly have taken action steps to set up as much profitability as possible. Seriously, this is what the tiering door has opened. Tiering by content - that's what charging separately for YouTube or any other content/channel is.

The wireless carrier industry is going to end up with as many fees as banks and financial institutions soon.

Back