• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint Sub Forum - 4G (LTE)?

PyroSporker

Android Expert
Apr 3, 2010
I've been thinking for a while that Sprint's new 4G LTE network should probably have a proper home set up for it. Especially since it officially launched in 15 initial markets yesterday (build out to continue), now would be a great time to start making a move towards it? :)

Sprint has a 4G Sub forum already, but as of now that has been almost exclusively WiMax talk and mostly forgotten. WiMax will be supported by Sprint for a few more years, however they are not actively selling new WiMax devices.

I'm thinking that possibly there should be either:
A second 4G Sub-forum for Sprint's LTE and have 2 subs. 1 Wimax, 1 LTE (possibly a 3rd sub for Network Vision?)
OR
Set up a sub inside the sub, for the now diminishing Wimax. So that if you go into Sprint's current 4G sub forum the main page will be all the current LTE talk and all the past WiMax talk would be separated into its own sub forum at the top.

I hope that this isn't too confusing :D

What do you guys think?
Any ideas?

One benefit of an exclusive Sprint LTE forum would be extra space to spread out and tackle different topics. Or for example, let people in the same locale talk signal strength specific to their area (see the WiMax threads). This geographically driven talk could even be put further into a sub forum if needed.

One drawback of a Sprint LTE forum would be that the talk might be overlooked if it is 'hidden' away in a subforum, inhibiting the continued open talk and front page appeal.

Pyro, good thinking but I think it will probably be just fine with the 4g sub. As folks get excited about the LTE, or have questions, those threads will percolate to the top of the forum whereas the older Wimax threads will slowly fade into the background.

It is the same evolution we see in regular device forums when upgrades are announced. For example in the GNex forum all of the 4.0.3 specific threads were quickly replaced at the top of the forum once 4.0.4 was pushed out to all devices so there was no need for a separate sub. In a few weeks (months in the case of VZW) Jelly Bean will be released and when it is, all of the ICS threads will fade into history.

Upvote 0
Pyro, good thinking but I think it will probably be just fine with the 4g sub. As folks get excited about the LTE, or have questions, those threads will percolate to the top of the forum whereas the older Wimax threads will slowly fade into the background.

It is the same evolution we see in regular device forums when upgrades are announced. For example in the GNex forum all of the 4.0.3 specific threads were quickly replaced at the top of the forum once 4.0.4 was pushed out to all devices so there was no need for a separate sub. In a few weeks (months in the case of VZW) Jelly Bean will be released and when it is, all of the ICS threads will fade into history.

Yeah it certainly could be done that way too.
It just seems like a situation that could become confusing.

I can see where you are coming from and your good example, but I think this is a bigger evolution than say, moving from 4.0.3 to 4.0.4 or ICS to Jellybean (software changes).

Wimax and LTE are built on different tower hardware and require different, new, handset radios. Its an evolution that is almost more like moving from one handset to another (hardware changes). The Samsung Galaxy S phones are a good example. We wouldn't put all Galaxy S phones in the same sub forum and just let the old Galaxy S 2 posts fall to the bottom in favor of the new Galaxy S 3. There is a separate place for each handset. Everytime an old GS2 post was bumped to the top it could get confusing knowing if they have the GS2 or GS3. Same would be true with a Sprint 4G Forum on a smaller scale. It could be confusing knowing if they are talking Wimax or LTE, especially since most of the Wimax topics just say '4G' generically and don't specify that they are talking about Wimax.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones