• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint] TowelRoot DOES work! [workaround] (root with no computer)

That's due to the ng5 bootloader sadly. Wish there was a fix but stupid sprint really locked things down with this release. I'm probably going to buy a samsung nexus 4g 32gb phone and ditch this thing, possibly sell may just keep it as a test subject if anyone decided to ROM for this phone. I seriously don't see that though.

That's due to the ng5 bootloader sadly. Wish there was a fix but stupid sprint really locked things down with this release. I'm probably going to buy a samsung nexus 4g 32gb phone and ditch this thing, possibly sell may just keep it as a test subject if anyone decided to ROM for this phone. I seriously don't see that though.
Does it work at all for you? It only messes up with maps. If I use a website that uses my GPS to determine my location and it's right on point (sometimes) it definitely doesn't think it's 2 hours away. Waze and other GPS apps locate me easily, I just don't use them because I don't have signal until 20 miles up the road.

So I don't know if mine has to do with ng5 or just maps.

Does it work at all for you? It only messes up with maps. If I use a website that uses my GPS to determine my location and it's right on point (sometimes) it definitely doesn't think it's 2 hours away. Waze and other GPS apps locate me easily, I just don't use them because I don't have signal until 20 miles up the road.

So I don't know if mine has to do with ng5 or just maps.

It doesn't work at all for me. The way I test it is I always do a clean wipe via twrp.....advanced wipe > then select everything on that list except for external SD and USB otg.
Once done install said ROM. I have tried cm10, through cm11, multiple versions of each. Once the ROM is flashed then boot to system. On setup I basically skip everything and get booted up. Once booted up I use an app called gps test. Toggle on GPS or location either gps mode or high accuracy. I go to GPS test and wait....I've waited upwards of 15-30 mins before, and all the time it shows no satellites in view, not a single dot on the map. It just doesn't work.
I've tried this on every available aosp ROM for this phone and have the same results. This is the cleanest way of testing because no other app gets in the way ie: maps, waze, etc... Its a pure clean GPS test ruling out any app or other interference or something acting up.

Ok I may have to retract my earlier statement about the NG5 causeing issues.......it may STILL be causeing issues, but I accidently downloaded cm11 back in FEB of 2014. I found out it is android 4.4.2 but gps works on it, and fast I might add, and very accurate.
So that got me wondering hrmm, can it possibly be the android version? the reason I question this is because I was on 4.4.4 android when gps did not work.
I have since tried 2 4.4.2 roms....carbon unofficial, and Cm11 feb 4.4.2 roms, both working gps. I have also tried a 4.4.4 rom and gps did NOT work. So I am in the process of trying one more possibly 2, (cm 4.4.4 and one other 4.4.2) because if it goes like I think it will cm4.4.4 gs will not work......but the other 4.4.2 om will

I'll post back with results.

Tried another 4.4.4 and 4.4.2 ROM and as I thought, gps works fine on 4.4.2, but not 4.4.4.
Not exactly sure what's going on.

Last edited:
Ok I may have to retract my earlier statement about the NG5 causeing issues.......it may STILL be causeing issues, but I accidently downloaded cm11 back in FEB of 2014. I found out it is android 4.4.2 but gps works on it, and fast I might add, and very accurate.
So that got me wondering hrmm, can it possibly be the android version? the reason I question this is because I was on 4.4.4 android when gps did not work.
I have since tried 2 4.4.2 roms....carbon unofficial, and Cm11 feb 4.4.2 roms, both working gps. I have also tried a 4.4.4 rom and gps did NOT work. So I am in the process of trying one more possibly 2, (cm 4.4.4 and one other 4.4.2) because if it goes like I think it will cm4.4.4 gs will not work......but the other 4.4.2 om will

I'll post back with results.

Tried another 4.4.4 and 4.4.2 ROM and as I thought, gps works fine on 4.4.2, but not 4.4.4.
Not exactly sure what's going on.
I'm on 4.4.4

Like I said for me it's shotty but it does work, I also think it's my wifi. At the house it does it to everyone, Idk how to fix my wifi from having that issue though.

Back
Top Bottom