• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Stock GB ROM Available

Could be worth a look... gonna leave myself on CM7 for now though! Let me know what you think of this, if you do have a go!!

Oh I'm gonna do it, I just wonder if I can upgrade as I would OTA or if I will replace everything :\

If I were you I'd stick to the custom ROMs now you're on em ;)

It normally recommends wiping everything in the cache and data before updating so yeah, you'll lose everything on the phone. Apps should re-download on market sign in and hopefully contacts will sync from Gmail.

I used the RUU to flash so couldn't tell you whether .zip works fine but assume it should.

As I said in the other thread, I've had no noticable problems including with WiFi though that doesn't mean that they're not there. I'm around PCs all day so WiFi isn't used all that much or at least when I'm paying attention.

I have noticed that my network connection isn't great for buffering recently but can't actually remember if that was pre or post update.

Did it wipe everything when you installed it? I'll probably use the .exe too seeing as I now know how to flash using it lol!

I can deal with crap buffering, I never watch streamed videos on my phone anyway cos I'm usually near a pc. Just don't want a bad wifi signal as I use it to keep in touch with a few mates outside the UK so I'm pleased to hear you've had no problems... hopefully I'll have none either :)

Can I wipe just the cache before updating to try and keep my data and Apps? I'm too lazy to want to backup and re-install everything haha!

I've never tried flashing something as a PD19IMG.zip, but using the RUU will certainly wipe the phone.

Thanks Xyro :)

I've continued reading through that thread (it's really long so I'm hoping to get a couple of answers here and from there) and founf this:
It depends on how you install it.
If you flash it with ruu or .zip ->yes you have to reinstall everything.
If you flash system/boot only from CWM -> no, you have everything intact.

What are the options that appear when flashing through CWM? The last few ROMS I installed were all done as PD98IMG.zip files :\

Thanks Xyro :)

I've continued reading through that thread (it's really long so I'm hoping to get a couple of answers here and from there) and founf this:

What are the options that appear when flashing through CWM? The last few ROMS I installed were all done as PD98IMG.zip files :\

Assumed that both would wipe everything. The RUU update as Xyro did will most definitely do so as it does not give you the option and the cache and data wipe is automated.

I'm on stock recovery at the moment though I had CWM installed for a while and started to tried to update with PD98IMG.zip but file was corrupted. Had already wiped cache and data so it was too late and I decided to just use the RUU the next time. If I remember correctly, when you choose the update, there are no options - it just goes straight to update. Cache and data had to be wiped separately and manually.

So CWM will just install what I want (just the system really) and keep my stuff?? It seems that way to me, but I like checking things ;)

Let's find out then :) I back up my phone numbers to the SD card every week and they're the most important things. Guess that as long as I have them I'll survive ;)

Let's find out then :) I back up my phone numbers to the SD card every week and they're the most important things. Guess that as long as I have them I'll survive ;)

What are you using to back your phone numbers up to your SD card? I know they sync with gmail, but I'd like the option of having them backed up a different way too!

If you go into the stock 'people' app and hit menu there is an option that says 'import / export' hit that then decide what you wanna do. It then asks you what numbers to export / import (all mine af on the phone so that's all I do)

Yea it'll wipe it all, but I decided to backup my contacts (people app>>menu>>import/export>>export phone[or wherever they're stored]) and I used Titanium Backup (for once) and it's pretty much ALL there.... even the sms history reappeared after a few hours. The market even re-downloaded all my FREE apps (dunno if this is a new thing or if it's just cos of TB)

If you do a full backup of your ROM before you start AND all that I just said then you can just re-flash your current FroYo ROM if you lose anything

Back
Top Bottom