• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Stock UI or did you change it?

Is there a way to change the menu colors from the standard black/grey and white? I was going to download open home or ahome and decided I should wait until I found out if I can switch the other colors.

As far as I know, you cannot change them specifically. Though, depending on which skin/launcher you choose to use, those colors will change to whatever colors the skin dictates.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
So if Im understanding right...if I download a theme/skin it could change the colors?

That helped. Thanks
Yes. That theme will have its own colors for most of the menu stuff. You will not be able to dictate the colors that the theme uses, but you will be able to dictate which theme you use, based on the colors that it has... I think I just confused myself :p

Upvote 0
Does anyone know why Android wants to frame all my perfectly sized wallpapers? I have wallpapers that are the dimensions of the screen, and Android has that stupid rectangle you size when making it your wallpaper so you get this blown up fuzzy picture that would be razor sharp if they just let it fill the screen. Extremely annoying. Even programs that let you wallpaper the lock screen do the same thing.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know why Android wants to frame all my perfectly sized wallpapers? I have wallpapers that are the dimensions of the screen, and Android has that stupid rectangle you size when making it your wallpaper so you get this blown up fuzzy picture that would be razor sharp if they just let it fill the screen. Extremely annoying. Even programs that let you wallpaper the lock screen do the same thing.
I don't know if you know, but the cropping rectangle expands if you drag it at the corner. If your wallpaper is the correct proportion (or anything close) then it should expand to meet the edges of the wallpaper that you provided, and not show up fuzzy.

Also, keep in mind that the wall paper does not equal [physical screen area x number of screens] (while holding the height constant). The wall paper is only 2 screens in width if you are using a 3 screen setup. I believe it may also be the same with over 3 screens but I am not sure. It's strange I know, but if you notice when you scroll left or right, it will only shift 1/2 of the background.

So it's not the size of the area that matters, it's the dimensional proportionality. Which seems to be close to height(3)by(5)width.

Upvote 0
I just want the clock/weather thingy (technical term) at the the top. And, I want it for zero dollars... Am I simply S.O.L. or is there a free app?

Help?
Currently you seem to be S.O.L. my friend. I'm pretty sure the program you are looking for is only for sale at the moment:p

I think it's good though, because if there were a free option, it would likely be tracking your GPS location and running down your battery, or running adds somewhere. Which would be horrible on an app that's always running, like a clock on your home screen;)

If you really want it now, you're gonna have to suck it up and pay the money ($2?) to get a clean version of it. Sorry.

Upvote 0
It was 3.3. I noticed Market has another update so Im going to grab that today and let you know how that works out. I havent noticed any performance issues with it.

@Kayawire - You have the option with Open Home to have 3, 5 or 7. I have 7. I do like the Moment better. Battery life isnt the issue I (we) thought it was. It drops like a rock and holds at 15% for what seems like forever. I'll work on that review now that Ive had it almost a week.

@Trick LOL I still have that pic on the phone. Its not currently being used, but I could easily switch out the battery skin on Lock 2.0 and add it in there.
'
Edit: Thats the HTC Hero skin for Open Home, but the clock widget was from beautiful switches.

sorry off topic, but what is the name of the clock widget? Can it be installed w/o open home?

Upvote 0
Ive mentioned it numerous times that Ive been running a similar look of Sense UI using Open Home. Has anyone else changed the look of the Standard UI? If you did, lets see it. Heres mine.

screenshot1257398082683.png

Can you tell me what you used to get that like that? I would love to get mine to look just like that.

Upvote 0
After messing with open home and GDE for a couple of weeks, I've gone back to the standard Android interface.

The home screen programs are neat and bring extra, desired features. But once you start filling those screens, other problems arise. Started slowing down and getting quirky on me.

So, I have adopted a less is more with this device. I have a main home screen, a search screen (containing apps that find things) and a folders screen. I have everything from bookmarks to apps in those folders. It really turns out to be the best option for performance. And, at the end of the day, that is what I want most consistently...performance....not lags, freezes, quirks, etc....

Upvote 0
Yes I know all this. My point is, I don't want scrolling. I want one solid background and that's it. This sliding across the screens kinda defeats the purpose of formatting these backgrounds to the dimensions of the screen. I want my full flyers (or eagles or phillies depending on the time of the year) logo centered on my screen with black at the top and bottom. Not some enlarged half circle with an orange dot with white border and such that scrolls to the lined left side or closed circle on the other.

So I'm wondering if I'm missing some selection somewhere that can give me a simple screen formatted background or does google think we want distorted blown up crap migrating across the screen? No offense to the people that actually like this feature. I just don't.
I don't know if you know, but the cropping rectangle expands if you drag it at the corner. If your wallpaper is the correct proportion (or anything close) then it should expand to meet the edges of the wallpaper that you provided, and not show up fuzzy.

Also, keep in mind that the wall paper does not equal [physical screen area x number of screens] (while holding the height constant). The wall paper is only 2 screens in width if you are using a 3 screen setup. I believe it may also be the same with over 3 screens but I am not sure. It's strange I know, but if you notice when you scroll left or right, it will only shift 1/2 of the background.

So it's not the size of the area that matters, it's the dimensional proportionality. Which seems to be close to height(3)by(5)width.

Upvote 0
Yes I know all this. My point is, I don't want scrolling. I want one solid background and that's it. This sliding across the screens kinda defeats the purpose of formatting these backgrounds to the dimensions of the screen. I want my full flyers (or eagles or phillies depending on the time of the year) logo centered on my screen with black at the top and bottom. Not some enlarged half circle with an orange dot with white border and such that scrolls to the lined left side or closed circle on the other.

So I'm wondering if I'm missing some selection somewhere that can give me a simple screen formatted background or does google think we want distorted blown up crap migrating across the screen? No offense to the people that actually like this feature. I just don't.
I do not know of a solution as of yet, but maybe a compromise?

You said that you like the Phillies and the Eagles correct? What about going into an image altering program (paint, or GIMP, or photoshop, or whatever) and put up some matte background with the correct dimensions. Then place the Phillies logo centered on the left 1/4, and Eagles on the right 1/4. That way your home screen will have half of each logo, and if your home screen is like mine or most of the others on here, it will be completely filled with crap anyways. But then when you swipe left or right, you will be looking at the full logo of one or the other.

Sure, it may be a cheesy mix on your home screen. But it's the best compromise I can come up with at this point.:eek:

Upvote 0
Thought of that. Too much effort...haha. Would actually have to start from scratch with a larger logo and format it to a small fraction of the enlarged rectangle. But then it will still be screwed up when floating from home screen to home screen.

I gave my rant, and I'm good. Complained to google where hopefully it'll do good. There's tons of stock wallpapers out there all fitted to this screen res. Just dumb that you can't view them as is on the phone.
Surprised no one else cares and is happy to stretch out their formatted backgrounds.
I do not know of a solution as of yet, but maybe a compromise?

You said that you like the Phillies and the Eagles correct? What about going into an image altering program (paint, or GIMP, or photoshop, or whatever) and put up some matte background with the correct dimensions. Then place the Phillies logo centered on the left 1/4, and Eagles on the right 1/4. That way your home screen will have half of each logo, and if your home screen is like mine or most of the others on here, it will be completely filled with crap anyways. But then when you swipe left or right, you will be looking at the full logo of one or the other.

Sure, it may be a cheesy mix on your home screen. But it's the best compromise I can come up with at this point.:eek:

Upvote 0
mentioned GDE on the previoius page. Works with other company's skins too. Worked well, but just seemed laggy so I uninstalled it and got a refund. I think it's much easier to just have a trial period before it locks up then to have to deal with buying and refunded. I uninstalled panda too because at times it wouldn't let me open my live folders. Back to stock for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones