• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Streaming from Windows and iPhone/iPad

torhu

Lurker
Oct 12, 2018
I'm thinking about getting my dad some equipment for streaming music from is laptop, iPad and phone in his boat for Christmas. It's a car stereo with a minijack aux input. USB power is available through the stereo, or nearby if that doesn't work.

He uses iTunes mostly. I don't use Apple devices, so I'm not too familiar with what is going on there.

I know Windows doesn't have much built-in support for Chromecasts, but what about the iPad and iPhone?

I'm thinking about getting my dad some equipment for streaming music from is laptop, iPad and phone in his boat for Christmas. It's a car stereo with a minijack aux input. USB power is available through the stereo, or nearby if that doesn't work.

He uses iTunes mostly. I don't use Apple devices, so I'm not too familiar with what is going on there.

I know Windows doesn't have much built-in support for Chromecasts, but what about the iPad and iPhone?
chromecast? can't use chromecast on a car stereo. i think you are confusing chromecast which is basically a wifi dongle for a tv or monitor that allows you to cast your phone to the tv or monitor.

i know very little about crapple products.....but i think the car stero has to be able to support apple carplay. you might not need it carplay if you plan on using the auxillary hookup. i think you just need a male to male headphone jack.....but again i do not know how nice it will play being that it is an apple product.

Reactions: Dannydet and mikedt
Upvote 0

If it's just streaming music from a laptop, iPhone(which don't have headphone jacks) etc. I'm sure that could be done with a Bluetooth audio receiver plugged into the car stereo.

Chromecasts are really for video, and require a HDMI input on the device you're streaming to, as well as WiFi.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones