• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Stuck on white HTC splash screen after recovery

jontzeng

Lurker
I had orginally rooted my phone and was running htt p://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1160374 and then decided to flash a kernel called leanKernel but was messing with my phone so I ended up doing a nandroid recovery but now I'm stuck on the HTC splash page. Can anyone help me?

Have you recently updated clockwork? I've read some accounts of folks having trouble with 5.0.x.x restoring nandroids. If you have flashed a new cloockwork,or let rom manager update you,it may work to install an older clockwork and use that to restore your backup.

Other than that,don't use rom manager,if you are.

Try booting to clockwork recovery,wipe data/factory reset,wipe cache,and wipe dalvik cache. Try to restore a backup again,and let us know what happens. :)

Have you recently updated clockwork? I've read some accounts of folks having trouble with 5.0.x.x restoring nandroids. If you have flashed a new cloockwork,or let rom manager update you,it may work to install an older clockwork and use that to restore your backup.

Other than that,don't use rom manager,if you are.

Try booting to clockwork recovery,wipe data/factory reset,wipe cache,and wipe dalvik cache. Try to restore a backup again,and let us know what happens. :)

I am using 5.0.1.0 i believe. How should I get an older clockwork?
I did the wipes and tried to restore and then after that completed I rebooted and it still leads me to the HTC splash screen and then freezes for over 5 min

You can get cw 4.0.1.5 in the radio/hboot/recovery thread above. Download,rename PG05IMG and flash in hboot like you do a new radio.

If that doesn't work,I'd try flashing a rom to at least get back to a working phone.

ok, let me do that.

When I do the restore of the most recent backup which I used 5.0.1.0. In 4.0.1.5 it says that some of the .img can't be found

I don't think the backup from the other version will work. The way they make backups is different. You will need to wipe and flash a new rom

Well when I used the older clockwork I was able to restore to an older version that I had backed up but that was when I first got my phone. The newer ones are the ones I want to back up. Is there any way of getting it restored? or is my only option is to flash a new rom?

If you couldn't get the version of CWM that made the backups to restore them then I believe you are at a loss. I think the best option for you now would be to flash a new rom and restore what you can with titanium.

You could try 5.0.0.1,or 5.0.0.8. Maybe one of them would work? If you used rom manager to update to 5.0.1.0,you might even try reflashing that in hboot. There's a download for it above as well. Maybe rom manager effed up he update ;)

I just tried using 5.0.0.1 and looking for 5.0.0.8. I am also reflashing 5.0.1.0 through hboot right now.

Can Titanium restore some of my files that are under the nandroid backup?

Well still no luck. Is it possible that this is just a temporary issue and when a newer CWM comes out the issue might be resolved?

It depends on weather the issue is with the restore process,or the backup process.

If its a restore prollem,an update may fix it. If its a backup prollem,looks like you are at a loss. Sorry :(

Well when I used the older version of cwm 4.0.1.5, i was able to back up my first backup but when I use 5.0.1.0, I can't even back up the old backup.

I don't know, kinda doubt those will be recoverable:(

I had an early version of TWRP and it's backups were FUBAR so I just lost those. I am currently using the most recent TWRP and it has no issues with backups.

Ill ponder it some more,but it looks like flashing a rom is the best way to get back to where you were.

Look at it this way... at least you're not bricked :)

Look at it this way... at least you're not bricked :)

Since we are being optimistic :D

At least you...

...don't have an iPhone
...are rooted
...are on VZW
...are not dead yet
...are a member of this great community
...are connected to the internets
...get to think of emo horse all you want
...have most if not all the body parts you were born with
...have likely stopped reading by this point
...are persistant if you are still reading my garbage text

Well, I ended up flashing a new ROM and it works fine now. Gonna restore apps and stuff with Titanium. still kinda bummed how nandroid failed on me though. THanks a million!

Okay, I have no idea what I'm doing.

I just rooted, and I have CWM Rom Manager installed on my phone. Through that app chose "backup ROM", thinking the first thing I should do is to back up the OEM ROM, and now the phone is stuck on the white HTC startup screen.

What should I do?

edit: nevermind, I'm all set.

paxman,id avoid the use of rom manager outside of the originaly useing to flash clockwork(tho i wouldnt even use it for that now that we have hboot flshable recoveries)

jontzeng,if you check the first post of the xda thread i linked above,a clockwork 5.0.2.1 is out. if the prollem was with the "restore" part of the process, it may restore your old backup(id make sure you back up what you have now with a CW you know is working before checking,tho ;))

I had something similar happen a week or so ago. I re-flashed the same ROM I was already using over the top of the old one and it finally booted. It has been fine since, I didn't lose anything either. I probably should have wiped it, but I didn't.

Back
Top Bottom