• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Switch Phones

saptech

Android Expert
I'm trying to figure out how to get the wife another cell phone, I'm thinking of buying a cheap smartphone using my old phone, then give her the new phone and use my phone with the new service plan from Metropcs.
My phone is first gen Moto G. I'm currently with Tmobile and she's with Metropcs.

if we buy a cheap phone from metropcs and I transfer my number over. Once we get new phone, I'm thinking if putting her old phone sim in the new phone, will that work?

Put the new phone sim in my moto g phone, will that work? I'll port my Google Voice number over to Metropcs for the new phone and keep my Tmobile number as is.

The wife has cracked 2 decent phones in the past year or so.

Suggestions/ideas on how to go about this?

Thanks.

I'm trying to figure out how to get the wife another cell phone, I'm thinking of buying a cheap smartphone using my old phone, then give her the new phone and use my phone with the new service plan from Metropcs.
My phone is first gen Moto G. I'm currently with Tmobile and she's with Metropcs.

if we buy a cheap phone from metropcs and I transfer my number over. Once we get new phone, I'm thinking if putting her old phone sim in the new phone, will that work?

Put the new phone sim in my moto g phone, will that work? I'll port my Google Voice number over to Metropcs for the new phone and keep my Tmobile number as is.

The wife has cracked 2 decent phones in the past year or so.

Suggestions/ideas on how to go about this?

Thanks.

You have to call Metropcs and tell them the phone imei to switch. You can't just switch Sims like T-Mobile can.

If the wife is already using Metropcs, will she be able to just switch sims into the new phone? But I plan on using the new phone line.

Thanks for the info.

Also, you could go into the store (if you have one near you) and buy the new phone there and they'll put the old SIM in the new phone.

As has been said, Metro has it set up so you can't just pop one of their SIM's into a different phone. If you go into a store, you will end up paying a fee for the service (I think $15). You can also do it over the phone, by calling 1-888-metro8 (I believe that's the number).

u can also go on the metro website and an online operator can make the switch for u but u have to have your imei # and sim number etc etc

We went into a store and they salesman wouldn't do it. He said since I was already on T-Mobile's network they couldn't do it. Not sure why not! The wife was able to upgrade her old phone, reasonably, but they lost a new customer sales with me!

Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom