• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Switching to T-Mobile $30 plan

I'll make this as short as possible. :p I've been on ST's $45 plan for about 2.5 years. I realized a few days ago I've been paying for unlimited talk when I never really talk at all... I hopped on the web and started searching for prepaid plans to better fit my lack of chatting. I came across the T-Mobile prepaid $30 plan which includes 100 talk minutes and unlimited text and data. I also found the Virgin Mobile plan for the same thing but 300 talk minutes for $35 a month. T-mobile has better coverage in my area, so I'd like to buy a phone from Google Play store and order a T-mobile sim to place inside it.

Does anyone know of any other low-talk prepaid plans such as these? Are the phones provided on Google Play store mean they run efficiently on T-Mobile prepaid? I've been with ST and strictly used ST provided phones for nearly 4 years,so this whole switching carriers while using a phone not provided by said carrier seems intimidating. :p Any comments, tips, etc are greatly appreciated. :)

Consumer Cellular has the potential to keep you bill low depending on how much you use your phone. They run on AT&T towers, though don't have access to the LTE network. Google Play devices should support AT&T or T-Mobile completely, though I believe the Moto G GPE doesn't support T-Mobile's main HSPA frequency.

I've moved this to the carrier/device comparisons forum for better responses and objective opinions.

Reactions: ThatonedudexP
Upvote 0
I looked into CC a bit. A quick question: Do you have to purchase a talk plan AND a text/data plan together every month? I find it odd that their cheapest talk plan is $10, but you still pay extra for every minute you use. The $15 talk plan + the $20 data/text plan would provide 200 talk minutes, 5,000 texts and 500mb for $35. Not bad :)

Upvote 0
It's hard to make a recommendation without also knowing how much text and data you use because every carrier has different limits for usage. When you only need 500MB a month I'd recommend a different company then if you needed 4GB. If you do need 3-4GB T-Mobile is a good option.

From your posts it sounds like 100 minutes and 500MB is enough for you - if so I'd check out Ting. They bill based on usage, and those two amounts with them result in very low bills. I have Ting and use WiFi for most data to keep costs down. If they're a good option for you the link in my signature below will save you some money.

Upvote 0
From your posts it sounds like 100 minutes and 500MB is enough for you - if so I'd check out Ting. They bill based on usage, and those two amounts with them result in very low bills. I have Ting and use WiFi for most data to keep costs down. If they're a good option for you the link in my signature below will save you some money.
Should be mentioned, Ting uses Sprint's network. Question, can Ting roam on Verizon?

Upvote 0
Consumer Cellular has the potential to keep you bill low depending on how much you use your phone. They run on AT&T towers, though don't have access to the LTE network. Google Play devices should support AT&T or T-Mobile completely, though I believe the Moto G GPE doesn't support T-Mobile's main HSPA frequency.

I've moved this to the carrier/device comparisons forum for better responses and objective opinions.

consumer cellular just added lte access to their plans.

Reactions: jhawkkw
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies Kate, jhawkkw, rui-no-onna, and mrnyjet. :) If only Ting used Verizon network and roamed on Sprint LOL. :) Sprint has terrible service in my area. I like the idea behind Ting though. I would have chosen the max data plan for $30 with consumer cellular, but that would make the total $45 for limited talk minutes. With Straight Talk I already pay $45 a month for unlimited talk. :p I believe T-Mobile just added voice/text roaming and hotspotting at the end of last year on their prepaid plans. If anyone has any other advice, feel free to post. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones