• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

sync gmail contact mixed into only one large Google group in Android

I have 3 groups of contacts in "My Contacts" in my gmail account, namely Family, Friends and Other Contacts.

When I perform a "sync" at my Samsung Galaxy 3 (Android 2.1), only the gmail's "Other Contacts" went into Android's Contacts. All the other 2 Family and Friend groups contact info went into Android's Group "Google".

What do I need to do, so that when I sync my Android phone from gmail contacts, I can get contact info into contacts. But each contact is assigned into proper group correctly?

Thank you.

correction, now I am sync the Android from gmail contact - which was imported from a PC csv file. This csv file was originally created by exporting contacts from another gmail account.

In the cvs file, the column "Group Membership" has 3 types
* Family
* Friends
blank

In gmail contacts, under "My Contacts" I have three groups - family, friends, and Other Contacts.

after sync Android with gmail account -
only the gmail's "Other Contacts" showed up in Android "Contacts"
both the "Family" and "Friends" gmail contacts are all lumped into "Groups" inside the "Google" group.

All the Android contact names do not have any "group" field. In "add more field" I cannot find any way I can add the "group" field for each name, why?

Upvote 0
If you sync from PC to csv, then contacts will usually not go into google contacts but the phone contacts.

When you sync to google, all google contacts will be under google contacts under respective groups.

Only on the phone contacts you may be able to select different groups. For the google contacts, you have to set up groups and allot the contacts to each group from gmail>contacts on your PC. When you next sync your different groups will appear under google contacts.

I do not know why android does not allow grouping of google contacts from the phone also.

Upvote 0
correction, I sync the Android from gmail contact.
This gmail account contact was imported from a PC csv file.

In the cvs file, the column "Group Membership" has 3 types
* Family
* Friends
blank

In gmail contacts, under "My Contacts" I have three groups - family, friends, and Other Contacts.

After sync Android with gmail account -
only the gmail's "Other Contacts" showed up in Android "Contacts"
both the "Family" and "Friends" gmail contacts are all lumped into "Groups" inside the "Google" group.

How can I edit and put the "group" field into each name?
How can I sync from gmail all the name into Android contact, not group, and each name have group field?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones