• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help System updates disabled on my phone

lynx4ben

Lurker
So I was going to update to Froyo manually when I noticed that my 'check for system updates' is disabled in the about phone menu.

I can only think of two reasons:
1. I'm rooted (doesn't seem likely)
2. I'm roaming but still on 3g (This would be annoying as I have to drive 20 miles to verizon towers)

Any ideas?

On a separate note maybe this is an advantage. I'm new to the Android platform and have heard of issues upgrading to 2.2. Maybe I should just wait until Moto puts out the patch?

Thanks to all!
 
Could be #2.

Have you deleted/frozen any system apps? I know if that can cause issues with not being able to update, but I don't think it disables that menu.
 
I can say from experience that the 2.2 update is buggy. For example some people have reported that their phone restarts for no reason, and I have noticed that the battery usage chart crashes more often than it actually opens. However there are also speed and feature upgrades included as 2.2. Show if you want to try to update, I would say that 2.1 is more stable, but 2.2 has added/improved features. It depends on which one you would favor. As to why update is locked on your phone I don't know however I had a BB Storm2 that had update locked because it had had update locked out by being connected to a BES server and having an IT policy pushed to it.
 
Back
Top Bottom