• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Taking the LEAP! Questions!

Stickboy

Dec 8, 2011
Hi,
It has been a LONG LONG time, researching phones and reading and thinking and beating my head against the wall.
I waited till I could see and feel a Nexus and then compare the GNEX, the 4s, the Rezound and the Razr.
After looking at them all I am ready to commit to buying the Rezound.

My remaining questions are few.
  • How scratch resistant is the glass? I hate screen protectors!
  • I like the idea of Smart Actions I guess this is only on Razr? Is there a way to do this on the Rez?
  • Did anything ever come out of those Audio complaints on the Rez? Isolated issue?
I am upgrading from a LG Dare. Yes, this is a big leap.
Ps. I hate angry birds!

That is a leap that deserves your time and research. I have carried my Rez in my pocket daily since release day. I too hate screen protectors. I can see zero scratches on my screen. I do have a designated phone pocket that nothing else shares. I'm unfamiliar with the "smart actions" of the Razr so I can't help you there.
I have experienced zero problems with the audio on the Rez. I migrated from a Dinc and find the Rez speaker quality and volume to exceed that of the prior device.
Good luck.

Reactions: Stickboy
Upvote 0
Hi,
It has been a LONG LONG time, researching phones and reading and thinking and beating my head against the wall.
I waited till I could see and feel a Nexus and then compare the GNEX, the 4s, the Rezound and the Razr.

• I like the idea of Smart Actions I guess this is only on Razr? Is there a way to do this on the Rez?
  • Did anything ever come out of those Audio complaints on the Rez? Isolated issue?
I am upgrading from a LG Dare. Yes, this is a big leap.
Ps. I hate angry birds!

I carry around my phone in an Otterbox Defender series which completely protects the phone. It does add quite a bit of bulk to the phone but it protects it from just about any scenario. When I am using the phone heavily, I have no problem peeling off the otterbox so that it can breathe easier. No scratches on the screen to speak of but the otterbox has a built in screen protector on it.

Smart Actions sounds like a Motorola thing. If you can describe what it does, I bet there is a similar app out in the market, also I found this post http://androidforums.com/android-ap...s-like-motorola-smart-actions-not-tasker.html (Nice when you can google something and it actually opens up an Android Forums article! :D )

What audio complaints are you referring to? I don't really notice anything when I have the Beats earphones plugged in. Granted I have some MP3s that aren't recorded in the best quality thus I know what to expect. I would say it's an isolated issue (unlike the connectivity and battery issues of the Nexus ;) )

And I am indifferent when it comes to Angry Birds myself. :D

Upvote 0
Hi,

I bought the BodyGardz screen protector. I carry mine around in my flight suit so I expect it will take a beating and I am trying to prevent that. I also use my phone a lot for running and biking and because of that I really want to make sure my phone is protected. The Rez does use some kind of hardened glass (not Gorilla Glass) but no glass is scratch-proof!
Once this phone is rooted, there are apps that you can DL that emulate the smart actions. That was one reason I was leaning toward the Razr as well, but I opted for the Rez for various reasons.
Sorry I can't really speak to the audio complaints as I haven't had any as of yet. I am training for my next marathon so I run almost every and use my phone as a music player. I'm not saying the Beats audio + headsets are the best thing in the world but it is pretty cool.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I had my phone without protection for three weeks then got a protector. Did not get any scratches. However depending on circumstances any glass will scratch. I hate protectors too as well as cases but I use both just to protect the investment.

If you look at the forums I think that you will conclude that the Rezound is a very reliable phone. Most of the complaints are fairly unique cases and I think that is a normal quality control issue. We now have two in our house and both work flawlessly.

Good luck with your decision. BTW, I research stuff like this myself way too much and I settled on the Rezound FWIW.

Upvote 0
I have had my ReZound since release day and haven't gotten around to putting a screen protector on it yet.(incredibly bad memory) It has no scratches what so ever on it.(knock on wood) Don't know anything about the feature you talked about but I see you already have some good responses on it. Not really sure what audio issues you are talking about at least not anything wide spread so I think it's safe to say whatever it was it's closer to an isolated thing. I did have a sort of clicking when I shot 1080p video at one point but I was able to easily fix that myself. All in all this is a very reliable phone and I dare say one of...if not the best one on the market at the moment. Enjoy it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones