• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Telus HTC Hero Root Guide.

Has this tutorial worked for you?

• Yes

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No *let us know why below, and we will try to help*

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have more questions about the process. *ask them below!*

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
ive been up since 1am and its now 11am trying to figure out what is wrong, ive tried it on xp, vista, 7. with 2 different gold cards, the computer recognized the gold card each time, i didnt triple check them i bloody checked the numbers 8 times. i dont know whats going on, really trying to get a good rom i found on my phone and its just being a pain, would getting it unbranded help?

Upvote 0
ive been up since 1am and its now 11am trying to figure out what is wrong, ive tried it on xp, vista, 7. with 2 different gold cards, the computer recognized the gold card each time, i didnt triple check them i bloody checked the numbers 8 times. i dont know whats going on, really trying to get a good rom i found on my phone and its just being a pain, would getting it unbranded help?

Unbranding is much the same method; you need a goldcard for that too. So that's not going to help.

What error code are you getting when you try to downgrade?

Upvote 0
i believe it was 130 because it said something to do with model ID, but ive remade the gold cards like 5 times, never got anything different because i always took the number down perfect, and still nothing

Have you tried using the different RUU's suggested in previous posts. some people have had luck when trying that.

Reactions: RhysD
Upvote 0
Upgrade your RUU? RUUs have nothing to do with custom firmware.

How to flash an upgrade to a ROM:

- Boot to recovery
- Do a nandroid backup (nand + ext if you're using apps2sd)
- Wipe the dalvik-cache
- Flash the rom

If this boots and everything seems ok then you're good to go. If it freezes or anything doesn't work:

- Restore the nandroid backup
- Make sure everything is backed up (apps/SMS/etc)
- Do a factory reset, wipe the dalvik cache and ext partition.
- Flash the new ROM.

If you're switching to an entirely new rom, rather than just upgrading, then you will always have to do the full 3 part wipe.

Upvote 0
Hey, i did the guide and it was great!!! Finally, got to root my phone, YES :).

The only problem I stumbled upon was that when i restarted my computer it stayed at the first screen which had "Start boot menu" and whatnot (When the phone was connected to the computer --> That's how I charge my phone). I mean after I unplug the phone then click F8 (Start boot menu) it works. But, I don't want to unplug the phone all the time so is there any solution to this?

Upvote 0
Your phone is disrupting the PC when it boots? That's weird...

Is your BIOS set to try and boot off USB devices in preference to the hard drive?

that sounds like the issue. I would just avoid having any USB devices plugged in durring boot. (other then your keyboard and mouse obviously.)

ultimately to fix this. you would need to enter your bios (durring boot you will usually have to press f12, delete or f8 different motherboards have different keys) then find up the boot up sequence in your bios and make sure you set either cd/dvd drive to boot at first priority or your main HDD.

Upvote 0
Hey I followed this guide and went to steps 69 so I could have the 2.1 upgrade for my phone!

But now im looking into customising it some more and I want to change the boot screen, but im abit confused (kinda bad considering this guide is fairly moron proof).

I dont know but do I need a custom ROM to put my boot animations into my cell? I just need root access no? Can I have root without a custom ROM?

I tried to do steps 70-86 but I get the Error "Backup Failed: Could not run command" is this because I didn't put a rom in with the other 2 files (yes in the root of the card) because I didnt want a custom rom.

What can I do to retain my Stock 2.1 Firmware and have Root access?

Upvote 0
Works great!
Started from the step one. Followed the guide closely, except the RUU downgrade, I didn't get the 1.7x? version, I took 2.73.405.5 RUU from the official htc.com

I had beautiful 2.1-update1 HTC Hero (GSM) now it says VillainROM 12 in boot. Kicks ass!
I'll recommend the VillainROM 12 for you guys, not a single problem with it.

I've done the GSM Hero root now, if you have questions, I'll try to help out!!

EDIT: By the way, works great on Windows 7, just make sure you're connected to the internet with your computer. I'm running 64bit Win7 Home Premium @ ASUS Laptop.

Upvote 0
Hey I followed this guide and went to steps 69 so I could have the 2.1 upgrade for my phone!

But now im looking into customising it some more and I want to change the boot screen, but im abit confused (kinda bad considering this guide is fairly moron proof).

I dont know but do I need a custom ROM to put my boot animations into my cell? I just need root access no? Can I have root without a custom ROM?

I tried to do steps 70-86 but I get the Error "Backup Failed: Could not run command" is this because I didn't put a rom in with the other 2 files (yes in the root of the card) because I didnt want a custom rom.

What can I do to retain my Stock 2.1 Firmware and have Root access?

At the moment you can't root the official 2.1, only switch it out for (pre-rooted) custom firmware. So you'd have to stick with rooted 1.5 (eww) or switch to a custom 2.1 ROM like VillainROM 12, if you want that new bootscreen.

Also, this guide was written as if you were coming from 1.5 (flashrec won't work on 2.1). You would have to follow the guide in it's entirety, so that you could downgrade to one of the 1.5 ROMs that will cooperate with flashrec.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones