• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

is it possible to hide texts,mms,pics,files, & email

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

• Sure

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The answer is that it depends on precisely what you need to do, i.e. who you want to hide them from, what access to your device they have, and how much inconvenience you are prepared to put up with yourself?

There are plenty of apps that can be used to PIN protect access to applications, so you could use one of those to restrict access to your message, email, gallery and file explorer apps. That obviously involves an extra degree of inconvenience for you, won't help if you actually want to give someone else access to these generally, and won't help if someone with full access to the device just installs a different message or gallery app and uses that to see what you are hiding.

Some message apps, such as Evolve SMS, have a private inbox (so separate from the main conversation list, and needing a PIN to access it). Whether that stops a different app seeing the messages (i.e. whether it removes them from the main database or not) I don't know, though you can uninstall/disable other apps. Also it typically works per conversation rather than per message as far as I remember (I'm not currently using an app with this feature).

You can hide images from the gallery app by placing a file called .nomedia in the directory containing them (note the "." at the start of the name). However that won't stop a file explorer accessing them (which you need if you are to see them yourself).

Individual emails are most easily hidden by saving them somewhere less than obvious or moving them to a different account (which you would then only access through a different email app which you password protect).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones