• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root The Complete Unrooting Guide for the Evo 4g

Mikestony

~30% Carbon Black ±
So you have decided you want to unroot your Evo 4g?
All of this information below is not mine. I have pulled this together from other guides and brought it together in one, hopefully easy to follow guide. Many big thanks go to Ocnbrze for the guides and thanks also Matlok, Capt. Throwback and others that I may have not remembered at the time of this writing but will edit as necessary:)

Read through this a couple times if necessary and familiarize yourself with the process. I, nor AF, nor any of it's members will be held responsible if your phone blows up or gets up and runs away or laughs at you...you get my drift :)

Let me start by saying that Sprint's policy towards rooted phones has changed and it is no longer necessary to unroot your phone if you are having issues, and need to bring it back to the store.
See this copy of the policy:
Sprint's Policy on Rooted Phones

And, if you want to read a story of a person bringing in his rooted Evo 4g for repair, see this:
Sprint's Policy Put to the Test

With that being said, here we go!
Let it be known, during the unroot process, you will lose your contacts (unless saved to your Google account) and your apps/data. So if you have contacts saved to your phones memory only, switch them to your google account. Your apps should be saved in your google account also, but data will not be saved. You can use MyBackupPro to do this. For non-root users as you are unrooting. It can also save texts/mms and other info too :)

First we need to find out how the phone was rooted in the first place.
It could have been rooted using 1 of 3 ways:
  • The HTCDEV method (which involves unlocking the bootloader, installing a custom recovery, then either flashing superuser and staying on the stock rom, or a custom rom--which already has superuser baked into it). Usually used with hboot 2.18
  • Revolutionary--usually used when your hboot was 2.15 or 2.16. Also used in conjunction with the HTCDEV method when your hboot is 2.18, then downgraded using the Captain's method to downgrade the misc partition and hboot. After using this method, your hboot will change to 6.16.1002..which is fine.
  • Unrevoked--usually used when your hboot was 2.10 or less. Also used in conjunction with the HTCDEV method when your hboot is 2.18, then downgraded using the Captain's method to downgrade the misc partition and hboot.

If you are saying, "I don't know how it was rooted?".
No worries :). We can get some info from your bootloader screen.
If you are not sure how to access that screen, the easiest way is to pull your battery, wait about a minute, then reinsert.
While holding the volume down button, press/hold the power button until a screen comes on--your bootloader screen.
From that screen, we can determine how it was rooted. The screen will look something like this: (your information here may vary) Write down the information you find on your bootloader screen
howto-root-evo4g-hboot-218-22-1024x614.jpg
or
howto-root-evo4g-hboot-218-53-1024x623.jpg
To get out of that screen, highlight "fastboot" and select it. Then you will see an option to "reboot"

Methods Of Unrooting
O.k., we now can either partially unroot using an "ruu" (rom upgrade utility) which will remove the superuser and install a stock recovery and a stock rom. Or fully unroot which involves a combination of downgrading the misc partition, then running an ruu, which will return your bootloader to its original state--"Locked-oow"

Method 1.
Using an ruu to unroot
To run just the ruu, we base that off of your current radio (baseband). (Found in your bootloader screen...see the "I don't know how it was rooted" section above to find out your radio version)

There are 2 different methods to run an ruu. Via a PC36IMG method ran thru bootloader, or an .exe file ran from the computer. For ease of use, we'll stick with the PC36IMG method.

If your radio version is 2.15.00.12.19, then download this file:
PC36IMG_SuperSonic_GB_Sprint_WWE_4.67.651.3_Radio_2.15.00.12.19_NV_2.33_release_234563_signed.zip

If your radio is 2.15.00.0808 or lower, then download this file:
PC36IMG_SuperSonic_GB_Sprint_WWE_4.54.651.1_Radio_2.15.00.0808_NV_2.15_release_220182_signed.zip

**Side note: some users have radio 2.15.00.11.19 with software version 3.70.651.1 (froyo update)...this radio is actually older than the 2.15.00.0808 which came out with the GB update.
Radio Updates
NOTE: Radio updates are usually sequential in their numbering, however this is because the last two digits are actually the month and date that they were created on. Therefore, the update made on November 19, 2010 (2.15.00.11.19) appears higher than the update on March 2, 2011 (2.15.00.05.02), but is actually older.
Quote source: Rootzwiki

In this case, (if you have radio 2.15.00.11.19), use the PC36IMG file for radio 2.15.00.08.08---PC36IMG_SuperSonic_GB_Sprint_WWE_4.54.651.1_Radio_2.15.00.0808_NV_2.15_release_220182_signed.zip

To run these, do the following:​
  1. Download the file to your computer.
  2. Now we have to rename this file before we transfer it to your sd card. If you are using windows, rename the file to PC36IMG.zip. Now, windows usually hides the .zip extentions on files so be sure you are not adding an extra ".zip" to the end.
    This is what the downloaded file on your desktop will look before renaming: (example only)
    BeforeRenaming.png
    [/IMG]
    This is what the file will look like after renaming:
    AfterRenaming.png
    [/IMG]

And just to check, right click on that file, then click "properties" and it tells you it is a ".zip" file, even though you cannot see the ".zip" at the end:
    Capture_zps46b9498a.png
  3. Once you have the file renamed, you can transfer it to the "root" or, in other words, the "top" of your sd card...meaning, don't put that file in ANY folder, otherwise it will not work. Also, if not renamed correctly, it will not work.
  4. After you put that file on your sd card, shut off phone and boot back into bootloader. (hold the volume down button and at the same time press/hold the power button)
  5. Once in the bootloader screen, just relax because bootloader will look for that PC36IMG file. Once it finds it, it will ask you to update....
  6. select yes. It will do its thing, then ask you if you want to reboot.
  7. Select yes to reboot.
    If for some reason, it did not find that file, double check that you renamed it correctly and double check that it is on the sd card (and not in any folder on the sd card).
  8. If all went well, then, PRESTO! Back on stock rom, stock recovery and no more root privileges.

Method 2.
To fully unroot
If you are "Unlocked" and "s-on" with hboot 2.18, follow this guide:
ok so you want to unroot your phone. unfortunately, the process is more complicated then the previous methods. basically to get rid of the watermark you will need to change the misc partition and then you can flash the PC36IMG RUU to finish the process in getting a stock rom and recovery.

these are the files you will need:

step #1 downgrading the misc partition
1.download the first three files and create a folder and call it android then move the downloaded files to the android folder.
2.download and install (do not run) htc sync:HTC Sync 3.0.5551
3.connect your phone to the pc via usb cable
4.we need to extract and then move the flash_image and the mtd-eng files on to the sd card. make sure that you do not put the extracted files in any folders. they need to be on the root of the card (very top level)
5.change the setting from disk to charge only, make sure that usb debugging is turned on, settings>apps>development>check usb debugging, and lastly make sure that fastboot is disabled, settings>apps>uncheck fastboot.
6.on your pc hold shift while right clicking on the android folder. select open command window here option.
7. in the command window type:
Code:
adb shell

ok you should get # in the command window if not then something went wrong.

if you do get # then type:
Code:
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
then:
Code:
chmod 755 /data/flash_image
and last:
Code:
/data/flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img

the command screen should look like this when all the commands are entered:
attachmentvf.png

step #2 installing the stock rom and recovery
1.download the 4.67 PC36IMG file and rename it by deleting everything but the PC36IMG part in the name. make sure not to add an extra zip as windows hides extensions.
2.move it to the root of the sd card that means on the top level of the card and not in any folders.
3.power off then press and hold power+vol down. this will take you to the bootloader. if you named the file right and it is on the root of the card then it will ask you to update. select yes.
4.before you reboot your phone double check your bootloader screen. at the top it should say locked and your hboot should be 2.18 with s-on. if that is what you see then congrats!!!!!!!!!! you are now unrooted!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have hboot 6.16.1002, s-off-- follow this guide:

yay! i have s-off but what if i need to get my phone serviced? or i hate all this rooting business and i want to go back to my boring gingerbread phone. how do i get s-on?

ok so i will start this thread by saying thanx to captain throwback, football, thefredelement.

so here goes.
here are the files you will need:
1. PC36IMG_HBOOT_6.17.zip

2.PC36IMG_SuperSonic_GB_Sprint_WWE_4.54.651.1_Radio_2.15.00.0808_NV_2.15_release_220182_signed.zip

step#1 install hex edited hboot
there are two ways you can do the next step which is to flash the hex-edited hboot. you can do it either by android flasher or from the bootloader. either way is just as easy so i will let you decide which one to use. but here are the instructions for both:

option A: android flasher
well with android flasher, you can flash radios, your splash screen, recovery as well as hboot. you will need to extract the .img file from the .zip file.

so here is what you will need to do:

1.download android flasher from here:
AF Downloader

2.and extract it to someplace on your desktop where you can find it.

3.download the hboot 6.17 file.

4.extract the img.file and place it some where you will be able to find it.

5.run android flasher

6.go to the bootloader slot and select browse and then navigate to the hboot 6.17 img file you just extracted.

7.select it and make sure that you check off bootloader.

8.then at the very bottom select flash

option B:through the bootloader

1.download the hboot 6.17 file.

2.rename the file by deleting everything except for PC36IMG and do not add any zip to the name as windows hides extensions.

3.transfer the zip file to the root of the sd card that means not in any folder.

4.power off (make sure that fastboot is turned off) then press and hold power+vol down.

5.hboot should scan for it. select yes to update.

if for some reason you can't get s-on after flashing the hboot 6.17 file then
here is the instructions:
step#1 we need to first flash the radio 2.15.00.11.19
EVO_Radio_2.15.00.11.19.zip
1. download the radio file and move it to the sd card.

2. then boot into recovery (power+vol down).

3. select install from sdcard and select the radio file.

4.you will need to flash the s-on tool found here:
unrevoked-forever-son.zip

5.move it to the sd card. (no need to rename it)
6.go to recovery (power+vol down)
7.select flash zip from sdcard then navigate and select the s-on file.

now you should have s-on, proceed to step #2 to get you back to stock

step#2 we need to get a stock rom and stock recovery

1.reboot your phone if not already and connect it to computer via usb cable.

2.delete the previous PC36IMG file from the sd card, if you used the bootloader method mentioned above.

3.rename the downloaded file (4.54)to PC36IMG. again make sure that you do not add a zip as windows hides extensions.

4.transfer the file over to the root of the sd card meaning not in any folder.

5.power off then press and hold power+vol down.

6.hboot should see the file and will ask you to update, select yes.

congrats you are now unrooted!:D

you can also use this ruu:RUU_SuperSonic_GB_Sprint_WWE_4.54.651.1 to get you the latest ota stock rom and stock recovery. just connect the phone via usb and run the exe file on your computer.

If you have hboot 2.10, s-off-- follow this guide:
UN-ROOTING

This is only recommeded is you plan on returning to STOCK HTC SENSE ROM.
NOT if you are wanting to get an OTA update just to have the update then Re-ROOT. If you want an OTA, it is recommended you wait for the Developer(s) of the ROM you use to release an update for the latest OTA.

Kudos to [GUIDE] How to Unroot the EVO in 2 STEPS - xda-developers for figuring it out.

REQUIRED FILES:

Download the PC3GIMG.zip

PC36IMG_SuperSonic_S_Sprint_WWE_3.70.651.1

(For a full list of PC3GIMG.zip RUU files click here)

* Unrevoked S-On Tool

HOW TO CHECK YOUR HBOOT VERSION

STEP 1: TURN OFF DEVICE
Power down the device by holding the POWER button for 2 seconds. Allow it to shutdown completely. Wait about 10 seconds before next step.

STEP 2: BOOTLOADER MODE
Hold down VOL DOWN + POWER until device boots into a White Screen.
Move to BOOTLOADER by using the VOL DOWN toggle and select by using POWER button. The device will now boot into Recovery mode.

You should now see something like this when it fully loads.

SUPERSONIC EVT2-3 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-2.02.0000
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
RADIO-2.15.00.09.01
Aug 19 2010, 14:29:08

BEFORE UNROOTING
  • Make sure you UNFREEZE any frozen apps with Titanium Backup.
  • Refer to ROOTING & BACKUP - SECTION 3 NAND BACKUP to make a backup of your device.

STEP 1: DOWNLOAD
Download both the PC36IMG.zip and the S-On Tool to your PC Desktop. DO NOT EXTRACT
(NOTE: Make sure the file is named PC36IMG.zip exactly. Some Windows OS hide any extensions by default; so make sure it is not named PC36IMG.zip.zip when you rename it.)

STEP 2: MICRO USB
Connect your device to your PC with the Micro USB cord.

STEP 3: DISK DRIVE
Chang your charging options to Disk Drive.
Menu > Setting > Connect to PC > Default Connection Type > Disk Drive > Done

STEP 4: S-ON TOOL TO SDCARD
Transfer unrevoked-forever-son.zip to the ROOT of your SDCard.
(Do not transfer the PC36IMG.zip yet)

STEP 5: TURN OFF DEVICE
Power down the device by holding the Power Button for 2 seconds. Allow it to shutdown completely. Wait about 10 seconds before next step.

STEP 6: RECOVERY MODE
Move to RECOVERY by using the VOL DOWN toggle and select by using POWER button.

STEP 7: FLASH ZIP
Select unrevoked-foreverson.zip in the selection area and press POWER button to complete the FLASH.

STEP 8: IS S-ON, ON?
When the FLASH is complete, Reboot the device into the Bootloader screen by holding down VOL + POWER until it boots into the White Screen. Check to make sure it says S-ON on the TOP. If it does, select RECOVERY with the VOL DOWN toggle. (continue to step 9)

If it says S-OFF, repeat STEPS 5 - 7 until it says S-ON.
(NOTE: If still showing S-OFF after a few flashes, go ahead and proceed to step 9. It may show S-OFF, but it is really set to S-ON. Once you flash the PC36IMG.zip file, it should display S-ON.)

STEP 9: TURN OFF DEVICE
Power down the device by holding the Power Button for 2 seconds. Allow it to shutdown completely. Wait about 10 seconds before next step.

STEP 10: RECOVERY MODE
Move to RECOVERY by using the VOL DOWN toggle and select by using POWER button.

STEP 11: TRANSFER PC36IMG.zip TO SDCARD
Connect the MICRO USB Cord. There is an option for this in both the Amon RA and Clockwork recovery.
In Amon ra, there is an option called "usbms-toggle"... select that, and it will mount your phone as a removable disc drive so you can drag stuff from the computer to your sd card.
Transfer the PC36IMG.zip to the ROOT of your SDCard.

STEP 12: UNHOOK USB FROM PC + USB OFF
SAFELY remove the USB from the PC and then turn OFF USB in Recovery. (usbms-toggle)

STEP 13: TURN OFF DEVICE

STEP 14: BOOTING TO HBOOT
The Device will check for the PC36IMG.zip and then ask you YES/NO to apply the newly introduced update. Press VOL UP = YES or VOL DOWN = NO.

Once Completed, press VOL UP to reboot.

YOU HAVE JUST BEEN UNROOTED! BAM!

Congratulations! You have unrooted your phone!

If you wish to re-root later, then see this:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html

this is what mine said when i entered it into the command prompt

C:\Android>adb shell
adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started successfully *
error: device not found

what did i do wrong??

this is what mine said when i entered it into the command prompt

what did i do wrong??
Welcome to AF!!
Just a few questions for ya:)
Can you post back here what the bootloader screen says?
What rom are you on?
Do you have HTC sync installed but not running? Try uninstalling it but leave the drivers.
Do you have "usb debugging" checked?
Is "fastboot" disabled?
Do you have any other program that is trying to communicate with the phone such as PDA net?
Try a different usb port on your computer.
Try a different cord.

Sorry for the many questions, just making sure where you are at as far as the phone's state. :)

okk,

bootloader screen:
*** unlocked ***
supersonic evt3 ship s-on
hboot-2.18.0001
microp-041f
touch panel-atmelc03_16ac
radio-2.15.00.12.19
dec 21 2011, 12:50:32

im on the stock rom and i have htc sync installed but its not running, i also tried it with htc sync uninstalled but it still didnt work. i have usb debugging checked and fastboot disabled. i dont have any other program trying to communicate with my phone (that i know of), and i have tried using a different cord and port.

wow, that was alot of typing for me lol

So after the "adb shell" you get "device not found"
Try this at the next prompt"
adb kill-server

then wait a few seconds then type:
adb start-server

then type
adb devices

Tell us if it lists your device's serial number

alright so i did that and heres what it said,

C:\Android>adb kill-server

C:\Android>adb start-server
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

C:\Android>adb devices
List of devices attached

C:\Android>

nooo i didnt flash the su file and its not in my app drawer and i wanted to do this so i would know how to in the future if i needed to unroot my phone

ok then you are not officially rooted until you flash the su file. this is what gives root permission. without it you can't run adb commands.

also you there is no need to do unroot. just read up on it and follow directions when it comes to it. but that is up to you. LOL

ohhhhhh ok makes sense lol.. ok one last question,, how do i flash the su file? (im new to all this rooting/flashing stuff lol)

ohhhhhh ok makes sense lol.. ok one last question,, how do i flash the su file? (im new to all this rooting/flashing stuff lol)

Here is a quote from Ocn's guide: modified slightly for use here.
The link for the superuser .zip is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z81vhg28nh0pxxe/Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip
do not unzip it:)

you will need the latest su(superapp) --see above--
just flash that in recovery and you will have a rooted stock rom:
1.download and move the su file to the root of your sd card that means not in any folder. it just needs to be on your card.
2.go into recovery (power off, make sure fastboot is unabled, and then press and hold power+vol down)
3.select flash zip from sdcard
4.navigate to your su file by using the vol up and down button and select it with the power button.
5.once done, reboot. now you have a rooted stock rom

hmm when im in recovery it only gives me the options to:
reboot system now
apply update from sdcard
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition

and towards the bottom of the screen it says:
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

what does that mean?

reboot system now
apply update from sdcard
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition

what does that mean?
oh, looks like you have Clockwork recovery....stand by...did you root your own phone?

reboot system now
apply update from sdcard
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition

what does that mean?

ok just to make sure...you powered off the phone. pressed and held power+vol down. then in the bootloader you selected recovery?

is that how you got the the menu option you just mentioned?

ok just to make sure...you powered off the phone. pressed and held power+vol down. then in the bootloader you selected recovery?

is that how you got the the menu option you just mentioned?

ya, i took out my battery, put it back in then held the power+volume down, then scrolled down to recovery and selected it then it brought me to this screen with a phone with a triangle with an ! in the center of it, then i held power+volume up and it brought me to the screen/options i mentioned above

Well, it appears to me that you have no custom recovery, no super user, and you only have an unlocked bootloader.
I"m just wondering if you can just re-lock the bootloader? hmmmm....Ocn?

ya, i took out my battery, put it back in then held the power+volume down, then scrolled down to recovery and selected it then it brought me to this screen with a phone with a triangle with an ! in the center of it, then i held power+volume up and it brought me to the screen/options i mentioned above

ok so the red triangle means that you do not have a custom recovery yet. and by holding power+vol up brings you to the stock recovery screen. that is not what you want....you will not be able to perform any of those options except for rebooting.

please read the guide that mikey linked. in the HTCdev method, there is instructions on how to get recovery and then flash the su file.

once you do that then you are fully rooted.

Back
Top Bottom