• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The End of Android near?

Apple can't license out iOS. It would devastate them. The true shortcomings of iOS would come out in all their glory, and it would be the beginning of the end. Without the homogeneous atmosphere it lives in, it is a very weak competitor to Android. Their apps are remarkably fragile, and would take massive effort to get them compatible with multiple hardware platforms.

I think I disagree.

Apple could license iOS and in my considered opinion, you would see lots of "iPhones" and perhaps fewer Android phones. Would manufacturers pay for iOS when they can get Android at no cost? I think they might.

Apple could reason that with a dozen new manufacturers offering "iPhones," more revenue would come from iTunes. Or Android makers might opt for sticking with Android because it is gaining market share and it does not cost them much.

We see so many Android phones and models, partly, because the OS costs them nothing.

Not sure what would happen and it really does not matter because I doubt iOS will be licensed to others. The iPhone alone, returned more revenue to Apple than everything MS makes returned to Microsoft. Apple is doing A-OK.

How can you say iOS apps are fragile? They are some of most beautiful applications I have seen and speaking from the perspective of an iPad user, ain't nuttin fragile about the applications

As for the "massive effort to get them compatible with multiple hardware platforms," obviously, you do not see too many iOS applications. Lots of apps for both platforms.

If anything, it would help developers. more people purchasing their applications if there are dozens of new "iPhones."

And iOS has very few shortcomings. Care to provide a few facts?

Based on data from this article: Android vs iOS – Which Is Really More Stable? New Data May Surprise You, iOS apps already crash more than Android apps do. And this is on a very limited, extremely well defined platform, with only smallish changes to the OS over the years. Now throw in multiple handset makers with different hardware, resolutions, input methods, etc. Guaranteed you will run into major app issues until the developers come up to speed. Android apps are much more robust already, because of the "fragmentation" that apple fans like to point to. (Never mind that Apple devices are also fragmented to a good degree). If Apple transitions to a licensing arrangement, they will have to go through the same growing pains that Android did in the beginning.

I think android would end.
But for the devs i think android take more care becuase of the different devices, OS and caountry combination.
With the iphone I guess they can predict the variables, but with Android its literally impossible to be able to know everything about every combination of devices that people use.

That is what makes it interesting, and gives users more freedom...but for devs?

Back
Top Bottom