• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root The HTC One M8 Root Thread

I just finished up with all your steps. However after I went to install > UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.65-20151226141550.zip, and waited until that finished, then the recovery thingy said something like "Your phone is not rooted, do you want to install Super SU" so I chose something like "Alright", might've been a swipe... not sure. Then I read on the area where I could see all that happened when I was waiting for the installation of the UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.65-20151226141550.zip to finish, something along the lines of "If TWRP asks you to install Super SU do not do it!"... Did I just **** up? Phone seems to be working perfectly, so what's that about?

EDIT: Do I want to use the SuperSU Installer that appeared in my apps? If so, do I want to do "Play" or "TWRP"? I guess this is what the command prompt looking thing in the recovery screen was talking about when I installed the UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.65-20151226141550.zip, but I didn't get time to read it all, since I just saw something like "Your phone is not yet rooted, do you want to install Super SU?" and I thought something like "Yeah, sure... sounds great!" haha

EDIT #2: The main reason why I rooted was because I wanted some form of ad-blocker and my phone somehow wiped itself when I woke up and it ran out of battery, I don't see any app or whatever where I could potentially download stuff. For example this article is talking about some Xposed Installer where an ad-blocker could be downloaded from. I guess an installer like that will come when I use the SuperSU installer, but I'll play it safe and wait for confirmation that either the command prompt thingy was tripping when it said that I shouldn't agree to installing Super SU from TWRP, or that I should just do it through the Play store.

EDIT #3: Since no one responded in quite a while I decided to just install it from the Play store and it worked wonderfully.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great tutorial, I have managed to unlock the boot loader in the first step but a bit cautious on going ahead with the rest, I have a HTC M8s, will it work ? I cant seem to find much reference on the net wrt rooting said device

I'm not some sort of professional or anything like that, I don't even know basic programming (I understand it to a certain extent though).
But I did some google searches on the differences and it appears that they're both running the same software:

Software: Lollipop at launch

The HTC One M8s launches with Android 5 Lollipop and HTC Sense 6. Although you're getting the latest from Android, you're not getting Sense 7 which launched on the M9.

The HTC One M8 launched originally on KitKat, but was subsequently updated to Lollipop in early 2015. We'd expect the software functions to be the same, but really we'd want both updated to Sense 7 for the latest experience from HTC.

Source: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/133430-htc-one-m8s-vs-htc-one-m8-what-s-the-difference

So the only difference that I see is the hardware, wich from my view would make the process of rooting it exactly the same as a normal HTC One M8. But don't take my word for it, I'm just someone who knows how to follow steps in a guide. :p

The only reason why I'm answering is because this thread seems a bit dead considering I posted a few questions March 27th and no one has answered yet, however I did manage to solve it on my own, except getting a working ad blocker for the Youtube app that's free, although there doesn't seem to be any at all that work with that app free, or not free. I even tried Adguard plus or pro or whatever the paid version is called for 7 days for free and it still didn't block ads on the Youtube app even though it claimed it blocks ads on apps (worked on Reddit, but I don't really mind the ads on Reddit).

Personally I would just go ahead with rooting it, but if you're still not sure then you could try posting on another forum. Like this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-m8
I just realised that forum doesn't have a specific section for M8s, so I would once again assume they're exactly the same software wise.

Sorry if my post is a bit ****ed, I kind of rushed it a bit.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones