• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The I got 2.2 from T-mo Thread ...

Finally! The download took about an hour but after that it was no problem. I'm liking finally being able to use the live wallpapers but I'm most happy about moving the apps to the SD card. I've been riding that ragged edge of the "low disc space" warning for months now. It gets old having to weed out any app I don't use too often and constantly clearing caches. I was able to recover about 25MB by moving apps to the card...

Upvote 0
really? my phone already had S-off when I got it.... from what Im reading that to root froyo you need it set to off.... which is impossible to turn off now.... (well I haven't checked to see if its really stuck on now.... dont want to get stuck loading to just reset it....)

Im sure in a couple days someone will find a new way to accomplish root....

the root steps for this phone were already a pain...... why can't it be as simple as my old ally........the good old days..... we will prolly have to pull the keyboard out while standing on our head with one hand pointed towards the sky while using our feet to type the commands in just to be able to root it.... hahah :D

Upvote 0
Wow, it is finally out. I guess HTC got tired of T-Mobile not pushing it out.

To people who used the CR ROM: How does the official release compare? Do you still have low space issues? (If you had them on CR ROM like I did.)

I recently went and installed CM6 on my phone and I have been loving it! But, I am missing HTC Sense a little - maybe for the nice widgets.

Upvote 0
I did the update from HTC. I have to say I REALLY like it. The home screen and everything looks the same. Like the Menu button. It still looks the same. I LOVE the fact now that I can move apps to my SD card. I have cleared so much space, its ridiculous. I use to have the problem with everytime I did an update to my apps, Id get the low storage notification. I now have 36.65MB available since moving the majority of my apps over to my SD card.
If your debating on doing it or not, I say do it. I love it. Everything still looks the same, its just that you can now do the Wi-Fi hot spot, live wallpapers, wi-fi calling, etc.
Id also highly recommend the app SDMove. It shows, in color, what apps that you have on your phone that can and cannot move to the SD card.

Upvote 0
I did the update from HTC. I have to say I REALLY like it. The home screen and everything looks the same. Like the Menu button. It still looks the same. I LOVE the fact now that I can move apps to my SD card. I have cleared so much space, its ridiculous. I use to have the problem with everytime I did an update to my apps, Id get the low storage notification. I now have 36.65MB available since moving the majority of my apps over to my SD card.
If your debating on doing it or not, I say do it. I love it. Everything still looks the same, its just that you can now do the Wi-Fi hot spot, live wallpapers, wi-fi calling, etc.
Id also highly recommend the app SDMove. It shows, in color, what apps that you have on your phone that can and cannot move to the SD card.

I just updated... But how are you moving applications to SD card? Haven't figured that out yet!

Upvote 0
I just updated... But how are you moving applications to SD card? Haven't figured that out yet!
To move apps to the sd card there is one of 2 ways:
Go to setting - then applications - then manage apps - click on the app and if it can be moved to sd card it will show an option...

Or (which i like better IMO) you can download app2sd and it will let you move apps to the sd if they can

* note not all apps can be moved to the sd some have to stay on the phone

Reactions: jefferzzzz
Upvote 0
To move apps to the sd card there is one of 2 ways:
Go to setting - then applications - then manage apps - click on the app and if it can be moved to sd card it will show an option...

Or (which i like better IMO) you can download app2sd and it will let you move apps to the sd if they can

* note not all apps can be moved to the sd some have to stay on the phone
I had found where to move them in Manage Applications right before I read this, but I love the Apps2SD card app.. MUCH better. Thank you for your help!!

Upvote 0
I had found where to move them in Manage Applications right before I read this, but I love the Apps2SD card app.. MUCH better. Thank you for your help!!

It is always my pleasure to help someone out..... I try to help all that I can.... Thats what I love about this entire community..... its like one giant dysfunctional family heheh :D we are all here to give our incites

Reactions: jefferzzzz
Upvote 0
Yeah it all worked fine.

I must say this ROM is pretty zippy.

Oh and I noticed in the software information under kernal version it has the date december 8th 2010. Is this the date it was released to T-mobile? Meaning that they held it from us for 4 months..... and technically still are.

I think so ...

I just installed it.. and it took a around 5-8 minutes from start to finish (DL Update - installing on phone - reboot and sync account ) ..

It is running a little bit fastter then before I was able to installed 8 of my apps to the SD car.. I wish google would allow this on their apps since they take up the most space.. and they are all free.

Upvote 0
Hey, gang -

My ankles are now soaked in my rooting research, but there's still a lot I don't understand...

A dude at the T-Mobile store yesterday said that Gingerbread ROMs don't work on my model of phone. That's 2.3, right? I'm a little afraid of bricking this thing.

I guess now that I'm pretty sure my phone is ready for rooting (Took a while to get the SD card to re-format; what a pain.), I'm poking around for a good, stable, fast ROM that'll give me overclocking & wireless hot-spot capability. Other than that, I just use my phone for browsing, twitter, texting & calls.

Is this the forum to poke around on for peoples' opinions for great ROMs for 2.2.1?

Also, the stock 2.2.1 is Froyo, right? It works okay, but there's a lot of lag opening apps, force closing, and now my keyboard gives out randomly about eight times a day.

Thinking rooting is better than T-Mobile tech support.

Thoughts?

- James

ps - It would also be nice to know if there's a good app to stay connected to these threads on the road. You guys are great!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones