• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root The Most Noob questions

Dandylian

Lurker
Sep 13, 2010
I have some noob questions:

1) Now I have jailbroke the HTC Desire. What I do with it?

2) The app "Superuser Permissions", when I click on it, show just a blackscreen. Is that correct?

3) How can I add software to the Rooted Desire?

4) How about OS updates? How is the situation now with the Rooted device? I can update the OS as before or I will break everything doing so?

5) There's some "root-suggested-utilities" to add just right after the Rooting activity?

Thanks for the answers.

1) Now I have jailbroke the HTC Desire. What I do with it?

Anything you like. I rooted so that I could install a custom Froyo ROM before it was officially released for the Desire.

2) The app "Superuser Permissions", when I click on it, show just a blackscreen. Is that correct?

Yep. Once an app has asked for and been granted superuser permissions it'll show up in there.

Through the Android Market, or you can download and install the .apk files directly from your SD card.

4) How about OS updates? How is the situation now with the Rooted device? I can update the OS as before or I will break everything doing so?

AFAIK you can no longer get OTA updates if you're rooted. Not 100% though as I'm using a custom ROM.

5) There's some "root-suggested-utilities" to add just right after the Rooting activity?

Titanium Backup is very handy, as is ROM Manager.

Upvote 0

Through the Android Market, or you can download and install the .apk files directly from your SD card.

How can I instal the .apk? How I have to place them? How can I check their existance from the Desire?

AFAIK you can no longer get OTA updates if you're rooted. Not 100% though as I'm using a custom ROM.

I'm using the same ROM it was installed before the rooting activities (so the original, just rooted). If I update, what could happend?

Titanium Backup is very handy, as is ROM Manager.

Where I can find it? Is like MyBackup?

Upvote 0
AutoKiller, task killer...same difference. Neither are needed

Not at all. Have you read about Autokiller and what it does?

Basically empty processes that are doing nothing, android kills off when remaining system memory gets down to 24MB. That's quite a low threshold of memory on a high end phone, when you need more memory.

What Autokiller does is allow you to change that memory threshold to a higher amount, and does the same as what android is already doing, but working within these newly defined thresholds.

I think the name of autokiller is somewhat deceptive.

Upvote 0
If you update the ROM your phone came with it might not update and if it does you will most likely need to root again. What version of Android are you running? if it is 2.1 I'd recommend you find a 2.2 Rom to install. youbwill probably need to update your radio as well which could help battery life.

Upvote 0
If you update the ROM your phone came with it might not update and if it does you will most likely need to root again. What version of Android are you running? if it is 2.1 I'd recommend you find a 2.2 Rom to install. youbwill probably need to update your radio as well which could help battery life.

2.1-update1. The roms are multi-language? Where I can find the 2.2+Radio and a tutorial for the upgrade?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones