• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Thinking about debranding...Some questions xD

I've tried the 5-step method a couple of times but with no luck. I keep getting the following java based error:

java.io.IOException: Unable to open channel, GetLastError=5
at com.sonyericsson.cs.usbflashnative.impl.USBFlashNa tiveImpl.openChanne
l(Native Method)
at X10flash.main(X10flash.java:410)
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
at java.lang.String.<init>(Unknown Source)
at X10flash.testPluged(X10flash.java:103)
at X10flash.run(X10flash.java:375)
at X10flash.main(X10flash.java:417)
Press any key to continue . . .

I definitely have the correct DeviceID as I used regedit AND the DeviceID.jar file to verify it. Unfortunately, the java tips offered on the guide are for 64bit platform problems but I'm on 32bit.

Any help (*ahem* X10iuser?) would be appreciated... ta.

Upvote 0
Actually, X10iUser, I have another question regarding Step 2 as this was the only thing I was unsure about:

"2) Run SEUS, follow the prompts. You don't need to update the phone through it, but get the phone ready for updating. This process should install the drivers necessary for the rooting process."

How far through the SEUS prompts do I go. Do I stop just before the bit where it asks me to turn off the phone for 30 seconds (basically getting ready to do flash mode)? And do I leave SEUS running in the background when I get to the step1.cmd file bit, or do I close SEUS before doing this step?

Okay, that's more than one question...

Upvote 0
What are you wanting to do?

Gain full root access or just de-brand?

If it's debrand you only need to run step 1 of the root process to flash the generic firmware or go the whole hog and get rid of that moxier crap!

I just followed this guy and paused the video as and when and rooted no issues but as I say just step 1 will debrand you :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AZ_10cvd9k&feature=player_embedded#!

Upvote 0
How far through the SEUS prompts do I go. Do I stop just before the bit where it asks me to turn off the phone for 30 seconds (basically getting ready to do flash mode)? And do I leave SEUS running in the background when I get to the step1.cmd file bit, or do I close SEUS before doing this step?

Okay, that's more than one question...
You need to put the phone into flashmode and connect as doing that installs the drivers, once you've done that you can close seus. I suspect if you didn't do that then the device i.d you've used isn't for your phone which is why you're having issues.

Upvote 0
You need to put the phone into flashmode and connect as doing that installs the drivers, once you've done that you can close seus. I suspect if you didn't do that then the device i.d you've used isn't for your phone which is why you're having issues.

Thanks so much for this clarification. Yes, this worked! Of course, I feel like a bit of a dunce, having not done things properly in the first place, but what you wrote made things clearer.

I use the Universal Androot thingy to go the rest of the way for rooting. It suits my needs, which is basically to get rid of Moxier et al, and give me access to Titanium Backup.

So I've got rid of all the Vodafone shite, I've gone from Vodafone R2BA024 to R2BA026... and I'm ready for 2.1!

I owe you a pint, mate. Cheers!

Upvote 0
Which tutorial?

EDIT: Seems to be working now :) Well I think it is anyway because it continuously displays "INFO: Start"

1-5 of this one

But I get this error, even when I try each Device ID on my system

4q05qs.png

Upvote 0

Already did that and that.

Anyway I just tried again and I got no errors, it seemed to have completely successfully, but when turning my phone on, it doesn't seem to have worked :thinking::thinking::thinking:

EDIT: I just tried again and it seems to be processing more than before so it may be working this time, will let you know if it's worked when it's finished :)

Upvote 0
Just rooted too :)

After debranding, the x10 is responding much faster than it did when it was branded, great result, and thanks for your help X10iUser :)

Glad to be able to turn camera shutter sound off now, and also I can now take photos in landscape and portrait, which I could not do when it was branded :)
My pleasure. :) So what's next, or are you just going to wait for the update? If you've time on your hands get learning ADB, hell, if Womble can do it I'm sure you can. :p

Upvote 0
I don't have any time on my hands atm but may have in a year or too LOL :D

I am a dev but only a web dev so not literate in that department, but I have Android App Inventor so will use that as a starter hopefully when I get time :D

I don't even have time for websites I own, due to the fact my girlfriend is due to give birth, and the fact that we're moving home on monday

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones