• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thinking about upgrading my X

mountainlover

Android Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2010
NC
I just started looking. Right now I'm thinking about waiting for the Galaxy Nexus, the iPhone 4s or the RAZR. I know most of you here hate iPhones, but could you give me an impartial comparison of the 3 phones? The main reason I'm considering the iPhone is to eliminate my iPod. Also, I'm eligible for an upgrade now but will get a better discount if I wait till mid-march. Should I wait?

All three phones are great phones. All three have their advantages and disadvantages. The iphone would be a direct replacement for your ipod. It would connect to itunes and get all your music perfectly, but you would be locked down to apple apps (which there are a LOT) and unable to make your phone personal. And if you are in an area that has it available, this phone does ot have and will not have 4G LTE!

The RAZR is great hardware wise, but it has (as of now) a locked bootloader which will limit the development to some extent (Rumors still float that Moto will unlock, but who knows) Its running Gingerbread which is very solid on the moto phones, and it has MotoBlur ( or whatever they are calling it now) which is really a pretty good overlay. Many folks on the Droid X like the latest version of it.

The Nexus is also great hardware, but you get the latest and greatest operating system and faster updates from google. It is straight android with no overlays, but it has an unlocked bootloader (as far as we know!) and will have a lot of developer support. more options for customization right out of the gate.

Making your choice between these three great devices is really your personal opinion. you should go to a store or use a friends device when they are available to see which one you like the most!

Upvote 0
All three phones are great phones. All three have their advantages and disadvantages. The iphone would be a direct replacement for your ipod. It would connect to itunes and get all your music perfectly, but you would be locked down to apple apps (which there are a LOT) and unable to make your phone personal. And if you are in an area that has it available, this phone does ot have and will not have 4G LTE!

The RAZR is great hardware wise, but it has (as of now) a locked bootloader which will limit the development to some extent (Rumors still float that Moto will unlock, but who knows) Its running Gingerbread which is very solid on the moto phones, and it has MotoBlur ( or whatever they are calling it now) which is really a pretty good overlay. Many folks on the Droid X like the latest version of it.

The Nexus is also great hardware, but you get the latest and greatest operating system and faster updates from google. It is straight android with no overlays, but it has an unlocked bootloader (as far as we know!) and will have a lot of developer support. more options for customization right out of the gate.

Making your choice between these three great devices is really your personal opinion. you should go to a store or use a friends device when they are available to see which one you like the most!

I won't even speak about the iPhone since I have no interest in it at all.

Also, don't forget that the Razr does not have a removable battery and the Nexus does not have an SD slot.

Upvote 0
One question to ask yourself is "Can I live with a 3.5" screen?" While the retina display is beautiful, it is pure stubbornness on Apple's part to not go to 4".

The other big factor for me, that will likely prevent me from ever switching from Android, is my app investment and love for widgets. Consider how many dollars, if any, you have invested in apps and determine if it make financial sense to switch. On top of that the Amazon free app of the day makes every morning feel like Christmas! I can't wait to see what app is available for download.

Good luck on your choice. It is wonderful to have 3 great options!

Upvote 0
One question to ask yourself is "Can I live with a 3.5" screen?" While the retina display is beautiful, it is pure stubbornness on Apple's part to not go to 4".

The other big factor for me, that will likely prevent me from ever switching from Android, is my app investment and love for widgets. Consider how many dollars, if any, you have invested in apps and determine if it make financial sense to switch. On top of that the Amazon free app of the day makes every morning feel like Christmas! I can't wait to see what app is available for download.

Good luck on your choice. It is wonderful to have 3 great options!

I don't have any paid apps because I don't like the idea of putting my credit card info in my phone. I mostly use my phone for making calls, texting, facebook, checking email, and Internet access when I'm in the car.

What do I need to do to get free amazon apps?

Upvote 0
Your missing a lot of great apps then perhaps you should consider get a prepaid card for use online.

But if all you do are the four things you listed i think you could be happy with an Iphone. But almost all the apps there cost $ if you ever come across something you like. On my X i have Game Boy Emulator, Angry Birds, Soundboards, Wallpaper Apps,Live Wallpapers and much more that i did not have to pay anything to get

Upvote 0
What do I need to do to get free amazon apps?

Do you mean the free app of the day from Amazon? If so, all you need is an account there and the Amazon market app.

As far as choosing your next device, I'd steer away from the iPhone if you ever use data outside of wifi. One thing I expected from Apple was some kind of 4g. It just seems so off that while the entire market keeps progressing, Apple barely even throws their users a bone. They really just took ideas already in use, gave them an Apple paint job, and called it innovation. OK I'll stop before this turns into a rant.

Upvote 0
I don't have any paid apps because I don't like the idea of putting my credit card info in my phone.

sounds like your a general user so a lot of the things with the RAZR and Nexus may not even appeal to you. Have you ever rooted or even thought about it? If you don't care to do that then that is a big factor.

also you don't actually put your credit card # into your phone. You set up your google checkout account online and its linked to your gmail account that you have set up on your phone. When you purchase an app you just confirm the purchase and that is it from your phone.

Upvote 0
RAZR - non-removable battery
Nexus - no microSD slot, PenTile display

Think I'll keep my DX...

Pentile displays get too much of a bad rap...........the ones on the Moto phones are horrible, I'll agree with that (the RAZR screen is much better though), but the one on the GNex is miles ahead of the DX display.

Reactions: BigBruDa3rd
Upvote 0
The more I'm seeing of "new" phones the better the DX is looking.

I'm sitting on an upgrade and went from 100% sure I would jump on either the RAZR or the Nexus to about 95% sure I won't. The lack of SD card in the Nexus bothers me and the non-removable battery in the RAZR is a compromise I don't want to make.

So far my X does everything I need it to do and with no LTE in my area for the foreseeable future, I think I'll hold tight and see what the next 6 months has to offer.

I guess my trusty X will be around for a while.

Upvote 0
Your missing a lot of great apps then perhaps you should consider get a prepaid card for use online.

But if all you do are the four things you listed i think you could be happy with an Iphone. But almost all the apps there cost $ if you ever come across something you like. On my X i have Game Boy Emulator, Angry Birds, Soundboards, Wallpaper Apps,Live Wallpapers and much more that i did not have to pay anything to get

Yeah, I have several free apps I use a lot...a lot more than I do for my iPad.

Upvote 0
sounds like your a general user so a lot of the things with the RAZR and Nexus may not even appeal to you. Have you ever rooted or even thought about it? If you don't care to do that then that is a big factor.

That is true, but I still like to get the best phone for my money. I love my X but would like to move on to something even better. Especially since its not working as good as it once did. I guess one of my top priorities would be speed. And no, I have never rooted a phone and have no desire to do so.

also you don't actually put your credit card # into your phone. You set up your google checkout account online and its linked to your gmail account that you have set up on your phone. When you purchase an app you just confirm the purchase and that is it from your phone.

Good to know, thanks!

Upvote 0
Been a Droid X user a week after it came out. While I loved my DX I now have a Razr. Let me tell you this phone is a beast. Can't really see the PenTile and the screen is way better than the DX color is deeper. Speed is ridunkilous and I don't even have 4G yet so I'm not getting all the hotness. Everything from phone operation to network speed is faster on 3G.

I've only had it for 2 days so it's still not broken in yet and my battery life is better than my rooted DX. Camera is way better having to deal with taking a pic with the DX and taking 3-5 pics b4 you get the right one. The Razr camera is a big step up.

On top of that I got it for 1 cent at Amazon I just added a line, trasfered the new line to my old LG Venus and that killed the data plan, and swaped my DX with the Razr and kept my unlimited plan. $300 is a lot to pay for a phone but after using it If I had the extra money I would buy it.

If you loved your DX then the Razr is a easy transition just think of the Razr as a DX times 2. Worthy upgrade!

Upvote 0
RAZR - non-removable battery
Nexus - no microSD slot, PenTile display

Think I'll keep my DX...
If you're going to call out PenTile for the Nexus, you should also call out PenTile for the RAZR. But you should actually look at the display on the device instead of just saying that PenTile is a negative. There are good PenTiles and there are bad PenTiles. Also, some people just don't notice the PenTile arrangement.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones