• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tips & Tricks

I've become a big fan of the Labs quick controls on the default browser,

You have to activate them in the settings and then swiping you thumb from either side of the screen gives you a very hand quick select menu with each of the top items leading to a sub-menu that means it pretty much covers everything you need when using the internet browser

Reactions: PyroSporker
Upvote 0
Trying to exit the calculator after coming back from power off definitely causes the lock screen to come back. Perhaps the calculator coming back easily is in fact a feature. No security issue present.

If the lockscreen can be bypassed, & in turn, given access to the rest of the phone, how is this not a security issue?

Granted,ultimate responsibility for anyone else using the phone falls on the owner, but, it's not a perfect world, hence the security/lockscreen.

If this were a "feature" with the other apps on the phone, w/the option to disable it, I'd agree with you, but, it's not. It's a bug that needs to be addressed.

This app is one that could have been separated from the phone & placed in the GOOGLE PLAY STORE anyway, & easier to update. Kinda surprised this wasn't the case.

Upvote 0
It only gives quick access to calculator. Even when using a screen lock other than none, it still functions the same, with the exception of letting you remain on calculator. I normally have my screen lock set to timeout after 15 minutes, but to test this, set it to immediately. Then when you turn the screen off, then back on, and try to exit calculator, you get the lock screen.

Upvote 0
Trying to exit the calculator after coming back from power off definitely causes the lock screen to come back. Perhaps the calculator coming back easily is in fact a feature. No security issue present.

Still with VZW?

It only gives quick access to calculator. Even when using a screen lock other than none, it still functions the same, with the exception of letting you remain on calculator. I normally have my screen lock set to timeout after 15 minutes, but to test this, set it to immediately. Then when you turn the screen off, then back on, and try to exit calculator, you get the lock screen.

Which carrier?

I can do what you just described, back out of the calculator app, & have access to the rest of the phone, all the while bypassing the lockscreen.

Agreed. The Sprint and T-Mobile versions both function this way.
Sprint Stock (as shipped) Software Version 1.54.654.9 CL325648 release-keys

Upvote 0
Found out at the weekend that if you have the camera running when you close your dot view case/sleep your phone then opening it back up/waking up the screen takes you straight back to camera, If you've got a lock on then you can only take pictures without entering the PIN/pattern everything else takes you to the lock screen even pressing gallery to view the photos.

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
I just bought the M8. Why is there no flashlight? S5 Active has the flashlight with strobe, morse, all of that. My girlfriend pointed this little annoyance out to me and now I can't stop thinking about it.

It's there,in the app drawer,labeled Flashlight.

While the stock Flashlight might lack some of the features that the S5 Active has,there are plenty of flashlight apps in the GOOGLE PLAY STORE that have a lot more functionality than either the S5A or M8,& a number of those are free.

Upvote 0
It's there,in the app drawer,labeled Flashlight.

While the stock Flashlight might lack some of the features that the S5 Active has,there are plenty of flashlight apps in the GOOGLE PLAY STORE that have a lot more functionality than either the S5A or M8,& a number of those are free.

there definitely isn't a stock flashlight app on my phone. Is there supposed to be?

Upvote 0
Unless your phone is carrier specific & they chose not to have it installed,then yes,a flashlight app should be on-board.

Do you have a carrier-issued phone,or,is it an unlocked/carrier-free phone?

AT&T issued. I have been searching all morning for a decent app that isn't too intrusive to do what the S5 does. I've seen several forum posts and comments about HTC not having a flashlight app.

I really didn't even care or notice about the flashlight until last night when I had to have the S5 guide me back to the car from a late night stroll along the river.

Upvote 0
AT&T issued. I have been searching all morning for a decent app that isn't too intrusive to do what the S5 does. I've seen several forum posts and comments about HTC not having a flashlight app.

I really didn't even care or notice about the flashlight until last night when I had to have the S5 guide me back to the car from a late night stroll along the river.

If you (and your carrier) are ok with side loading applications, you can get the stock HTC Flashlight .apk from here: XDA-dev.com | HTC Sense 6 Apps APK's (See #10)
And not have to worry about the Play Store or intrusive application permissions.
It doesn't look like it does Flashing or S.O.S. (on a past HTC device it was hidden under the menu key), and has black/gray vertical bars, but the only permissions are for vibration and keeping the display from turning off during use.

Upvote 0
I love learning little tidbits about devices 6+ months after they are released. Its like a little treat. Or maybe my memory is just that bad. :p (probably just my horrible memory, as I now see the giant indicator pad in teardown photos next to the LED flashes - I guess it was just never really notated)

LateOnTheBrakes joined the forum and hinted at the location of the Liquid Damage Indicator on the T-Mobile HTC One M8 (possibly others/all).
HTC One (M8) | T-Mobile Support | Liquid indicator

ldi_mp.png

5hc1QBSNtFSSXFoF

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones