• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Titanium Backup: Freeze/Defrost/Launch an app with a widget (cool feature)

FLAWLESSVW

I stumbled on a useful feature in Titanium Backup the other day.

I am assuming it is a Pro feature but since going pro I believe it's well worth it.

I find myself wanting to freeze and defrost apps on-the-fly, such as Facebook, since it is such an invasive app when you're not using it. But the once a day or so I log on, I do want to use the actual fb app as opposed to the Web interface.

Typically I'd go into TB and manually freeze/defrost which is mildly painful since you need to filter thru all other apps in the TB app list.

I found you can create a widget to "toggle" this behavior for any app.
(Once you get into the widget setting, you'll see there are a million other things you can do related to backups and a bunch of other things as well).

Create a new Titanium Backup widget (Actions)
Set action to Freeze/Defrost/Launch an app. Set the application to the app of your choice. You can even set a password here if you wish!

You'll have a new app icon that doesn't look much different than the normal app icon. The difference as you'll see in the screen shots below is that it has either a green or red lock over it, letting you know if it's frozen or defrosted. When you click to toggle and defrost it will automatically launch the app for you. After you're done using the app, simply click again to freeze.

Simple but I think very handy for the 6 or 8 apps I do use but like to keep frozen when not in use! :thumbup:
hu8ehady.jpg

yju7agej.jpg

Same here. I had a feeling I wasn't the only one who missed this little easter egg. I've got a couple apps that piss me off set up this way now.

Wow. Cool thread. Never heard of this before. Lol. I just figured out the other day that if u hold the home hardkey and power button at the same time, it makes a screenshot.

There's so much cool "hidden" stuff that I love. Like when you press and hold the notification panel and slide left/right to adjust brightness. That one was cool when I read about it.

Codegerm mentioned in a thread a while back how Es File Explorer has ftp capability over wifi which blew my mind. Sure enough, enable it, type in the ftp address on your pc and you have access to all your files.

We should start a thread for hidden easter eggs like that. :thumbup:

I can't find this feature! Where is it in TBP?

You won't find out in the actual app, you have to create a new widget (long press on your home screen, add new widget for "Titanium Backup (Actions)" then just follow the rest of the instructions in the first post.

That's probably why it took me so long to find it. I dug thru every possible setting in TB when I first got it (as I do with every app) but since this has to be done from a home screen widget you'd never see it in the app, hence why I stumbled on it much later.

Insanely useful for many of the apps I like but don't want hogging resources or draining battery, etc. when I'm not actually running/using the app.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out soon. I agree on Facebook bring a resource hog and a good candidate for this type of widget. What are some other good ones people are doing this to?

I personally used TB to remove any Facebook crap off the phone. The Facebook app is a disaster, and don't even get me started of that Facebook Home garbage they want you to use.

Thank you for this! Just wanted to extend. If you need to freeze /unfreeze multiple programs this is how to do it.. Open TB. Go to backup /restore. edit filters. Click create label. Add /remove elements. Enter a name. Add add all the programs you want to freeze and unfreeze. Click save.

Now to add the widget. Go to home screen. add widget. Click titanium backup (actions). Click action. Freeze all user and system and user apps. Click filter by (IMPORTANT!! You must click this or you will lock your system). Select the filter you named in previous step. Click create the widget.

To add widget for defrosting, repeat above instructions but click on defrost all user and system apps within the titanium backup (actions) widget instead . Hope this helps

Back