• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

To those buyin the EVO on a line eligible for upgrade then switchin to personal line:

I'm hoping Best Buy will do it all like they did when I bought my Pre.
Last time I bought a phone I tried to get them to do it but they refused.
Went home and ESN swapped the phones.

I may try the "gift" idea. Sounds promising. But I'll have to make up my mind which to try, I'll only get one shot.
I'm also going to have a dead phone on my line to make things easy once I get to a computer. mainly because I'm selling my Pre back to Best Buy though.

Upvote 0
also doing that MIGHT effect you getting the MIR back b/c it says that the phone has to stay activated for 30 on the line of service you bought it on (or something like that) to get the MIR

Again, not if you are buying it at Best Buy or Radio Shack... which I am. Best Buy giving the $100 "MIR" instantly. No need to wait for anything.

Upvote 0
Question on this, i preordered a Evo today at Best Buy.

My friend just added a line for his brother and he is using his old Instinct. He said i can have his upgrade for the line.

Best Buy said i can add it to his account then remove it and add it onto mine. Basically a $18 dollar to switch the phone on mine and $18 dollars to add it to mine plus $200 + tax for the phone.

Thing i am worried about is the $10 dollar fee being stuck to his second account and not mine. Anyone heard for sure if it will transfer with the phone vs the line? At best buy they said it would not be a issue but i am a bit leary and i don't want to screw him with a extra charge on the line.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Best Buy in Madison Heights told me they could do it, I talked with Izzy. I have one preordered but its not until the 2nd shipment.
Awesome, Thanks.
Just got off the phone with Sprint. CS rep was able to verify that if you buy the phone from Sprint you have to wait 30 days before switching or the rebate will be cancelled but if you buy the phone from Bestbuy, RS, etc it doesn't matter when you switch it and that Sprint would have no problem doing that. She also mentioned that it might be difficult to do it online with the EVO so just to be safe call in.

Edit: Just called multiple times and got the same answer

Upvote 0
I do this all the time.. I have 20 lines on my business account and my techs never get new phones. So I always have about 5 or 6 upgrades available. The easiest way is to order the phone from online using one of the available upgrade lines. Yes you have to wait to get the phone but it arrives not activated. Then simply log on to your account and activate it on your line. Only had to call Sprint once on my TP2 activation because for some reason the online activation wouldn't work. Also an FYI if anyone has a business account... If you purchase from the business section all MIRs become instant rebates (tax ID needed)

Upvote 0
Great question, OP!

Sadly, I am not eligible for an upgrade, but I still preordered my EVO at RS last week. When I go in to get it on Friday, I am telling them I am adding an additional line for $10/month. How do the RS people know to put the EVO on my old number? Should I wait until I get home to call CS and tell them to make sure the EVO is on my old line. What can I do with the new line ... can I cancel it?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Great question, OP!

Sadly, I am not eligible for an upgrade, but I still preordered my EVO at RS last week. When I go in to get it on Friday, I am telling them I am adding an additional line for $10/month. How do the RS people know to put the EVO on my old number? Should I wait until I get home to call CS and tell them to make sure the EVO is on my old line. What can I do with the new line ... can I cancel it?

Thanks!

To my understanding the EVO would go on the New Line and then I think you would have to get Sprint to do some sort of number swap but as stated above you would have to wait 30 days (not positive). If you cancel the new line you would also have to return the phone

Upvote 0
Sprints new policy is the New phone must remain on line it was activated on for at least 24hrs before swapping. This is so you get the MIR I believe.

Be careful, I spoke to 3-4 reps yesterday and told me that if you buy from them you have to wait 30 days before you remove it from the line you activated it on or you don't get your rebate. If it's from a 3rd party store you can do it anytime.

Reactions: fr4nk1yn
Upvote 0
Be careful, I spoke to 3-4 reps yesterday and told me that if you buy from them you have to wait 30 days before you remove it from the line you activated it on or you don't get your rebate. If it's from a 3rd party store you can do it anytime.

Just confirming because when we did that with a BB Curve recently purchased for my wife, the MIR got messed up because I didn't wait 30 days. (Of course, no one at Sprint involved in this said anything....)

I emailed ecare when I saw the problem and they confirmed in writing that they'd have the correct amount sent out; however, it would likely take the form of 2 $50 rebate checks, one soon and 6 - 8 additional weeks for the other. :(

Reactions: fr4nk1yn
Upvote 0
Best Buy does it for me every time right in the store.

As many others, I will be purchasing the EVO on a line that is eligible for a full upgrade within my family plan and then switching it to my personal line. My question is... what is the easiest way to switch phones from line to line? I don't want to waste anytime on the 4th! I want that bad boy on my line ASAP.

I've been told you can do it at a Sprint store, over the phone, or online myself. I just don't fully understand the process. Do you have to de-activate a phone before switching? What about the de-activated phone that the upgradeable line was using before we bought the EVO?

Any help would be appreciated... 2 more weeks to go fellas!

Upvote 0
Ok I'm new to this whole add a line scenario. I have a Blackberry 8350i on the Nextel network and will be buying an EVO on the 4th that I have reserved at Best Buy. Im not eligible for an upgrade until July 1st so I'm planned on paying ETF and buying it for $199 plus activation fee. Are ya'll saying I can just add a line to my current account with the EVO this Friday and then cancel a line somehow without paying ETF? I don't get it. Id like to avoid paying the ETF if there's a way around it by adding a line but that sounds to good to be true. Current contract expires July 2011.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones