• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Travel to US - Best prepaid voice/text/data provider?

brawny

Lurker
Hi Folks!

I'm headed to Florida for 2 weeks in mid-February from Ontario, and looking for the best solution for voice/text/data for my trip.

I'm taking my Desire Z with me, and wondered if there's a good way of setting it up with a pre-paid plan once I'm in the US. Constraints are:

• I don't want any impact to my ability to use the phone once I return. I'm with Bell Canada, and its a work phone, so its important that nothing gets goofed up when I return.
  • I'll be mostly in Naples/Everglades area, but will also be spending several days in Savannah, GA. It's important that I have data connectivity in both places, and along the interstate (I-75) while en route.
  • I also have a laptop, and would like to be able to tether with my Desire Z.
  • I understand there are differing network types in the states, and various phones work on one but not the other. I need to make sure that whatever provider/network I look to will work with my Desire Z.
  • I'm trying to keep the cost reasonable. My typical data usage here in Canada is around 300 - 400 MB per month, but I expect it to be substantially less on vacation. While travelling, I want to be able to find local hotels/restaurants/gas/points of interest, check email, and a bit of surfing. Phone usage will be limited - maybe 10 minutes of airtime and 10 texts per day back home to let folks know how the trip is going.

I'm sorry if these questions have been asked elsewhere - I wasn't able to find anything when searching.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!
Brawny

Hi Brawny,

Your network choice will basically be between T-Mobile and AT&T, as both Sprint and Verizon are CDMA networks rather than GSM. I'm not sure if both support 3G on the same bands as Bell; I know European SGS2s won't connect to AT&T's 3G service.

This is a question that's probably best asked in our Android Lounge, as many more US users will see it there and be able to advise you. Just say the word and I'll move it over to save you reposting.

Hi Folks!

I'm headed to Florida for 2 weeks leaving this weekend from Ontario, and looking for the best solution for voice/text/data for my trip.

I'm taking my Desire Z with me, and wondered if there's a good way of setting it up with a pre-paid plan once I'm in the US. Constraints are:

• I don't want any impact to my ability to use the phone once I return. I'm with Bell Canada, and its a work phone, so its important that nothing gets goofed up when I return.
  • I'll be mostly in Fort Myers/Naples/Everglades area, but will also be spending several days in Savannah, GA. It's important that I have data connectivity in both places, and would be nice if I had connectivity along the interstate (I-75/I-90) while en route.
  • I also have a laptop, and would like to be able to tether with my Desire Z, without incurring any additional charges beyond the pre-paid fees.
  • I understand there are differing network types in the states, and various phones work on one but not the other. I need to make sure that whatever provider/network I look to will work with my Desire Z.
  • I'm trying to keep the cost reasonable. My typical data usage here in Canada is around 300 - 400 MB per month, but I expect it to be substantially less on vacation. While travelling, I want to be able to find local hotels/restaurants/gas/points of interest, check email, and a bit of surfing. Phone usage will be limited - maybe 10 minutes of airtime and 10 texts per day back home to let folks know how the trip is going.

I'm sorry if these questions have been asked elsewhere - I wasn't able to find anything when searching.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!
Brawny

Hi brawny,

Ok, I have your threads consolidated here in the Android Lounge. Sorry I don't know the answer here for you, but let's hope you'll get a timely response from those that do. :)

AT&T's prepaid option is called GoPhone. Unlimited talk, text, and data will cost you $75.00 with their new prepaid rate plan.

As for coverage, you can check AT&T's website for a map of the coverage in the areas where you will be.

Thanks Ikenstein!

That's reasonable for unlimited talk/text and data on prepaid plan. My only issue now is to make sure that my Bell Canada HTC Desire Z is compatible with AT&T. I believe the phone has a different name in the US - but its more about whether the frequencies used by my phone will work on AT&T. That - and I need to figure out how to back up my phone completely before I take out the sim card.

Thanks again!
Brawny

In the US, your phone is called the G2 and it's a model on T-Mobile. However, as stated above, AT&T and T-Mobile are both GSM.

Back
Top Bottom