• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Trying ADW Launcher 2

MoodyBlues

Compassion is cool!
Ha ha, it's dead around here so I thought I'd post something! Maybe get some conversation started. :)

I've been using ADW Launcher 1 EX (paid) for many years. I have absolutely no complaints about it--well, except for the status bar and dock transparency thing that started with the May 28th update.

But, on a whim today, I decided to buy ADW Launcher 2. After tinkering with its settings for awhile, I've decided either I'm missing something, or it is! :eek:

I imported a backup from 1 and that took care of some things, but not all. For example, I can't find its setting for 'custom color' for icon backgrounds. There are several other things I haven't found yet, either. I hope I just haven't found them yet, and it's not that they've been removed.

If you're reading this, feel free to jump in and discuss my favorite launcher(s)! :D

hmmmm i might try adw. i haven't used since the og evo days. my phone could use something.....maybe this is it. i'll install it tomorrow and use it all day and see if i like it or not.

I used to be all about modding. Now? I've lost that loving feeling I guess.

That makes sense. But when it comes to launchers, I find that after years of using such a good, third-party one (ADW), the stock launchers that came with my devices just didn't cut it!

I own Nova but haven't used it in almost 2 years. Maybe I should try it. I don't think I was able to get it to play nice with me phone when my note 8 was new

I used the original version back in the android 2.x days.. and loved it as a lightweight launcher

I might revisit it for a trip down memory lane

What are the main differences between the free and the paid version?
I'm afraid I can't answer that, for either version.

With 2, I only used the free version long enough to notice a lot of locked features, and find my way to its 'upgrade' link. I'm afraid I can't recall WHAT was locked.

And with 1, it's been years since I tried it, and immediately upgraded. Sorry.

Reactions: lvt
I used the original version back in the android 2.x days.. and loved it as a lightweight launcher

I might revisit it for a trip down memory lane
Its feature set is quite rich, so it's easy to lose yourself tweaking it!

As noted earlier, I haven't been able to replicate all of 1's features in 2, and because of that I still prefer 1.

I'm afraid I can't answer that, for either version.

With 2, I only used the free version long enough to notice a lot of locked features, and find my way to its 'upgrade' link. I'm afraid I can't recall WHAT was locked.

And with 1, it's been years since I tried it, and immediately upgraded. Sorry.

Many of my phones lack the native double-tap to lock feature, that's the main reason why I use Nova.

If this launcher has the same feature I definitely will try it.

Many of my phones lack the native double-tap to lock feature
Wait...what? :eek: If I ever knew of such a thing, I've long since forgotten it. Double-tap what, or where? And then it locks the phone?
that's the main reason why I use Nova.

If this launcher has the same feature I definitely will try it.
All I can say for sure is that ADW gives you configuration options for lots of gestures, including double-tap. But I'll have to explore its options a bit more...

I haven't been able to replicate all of 1's features in 2, and because of that I still prefer 1.
Replying to myself always seems weird...

Anyway, I've come very close now to replicating 1's features in 2. They're there--you just have to look in different places, or do things differently.

I've found a couple of things that are different--and I don't like, but I can live with them. Definitely not deal-breaker stuff.

So I now have 2 set as my default launcher! :)

I'm still playing with its seemingly endless customization possibilities, but overall I'm quite pleased.

Wait...what? :eek: If I ever knew of such a thing, I've long since forgotten it. Double-tap what, or where? And then it locks the phone?

Exactly, from any empty spot on the screen, you tap twice to lock the phone, then tap twice to wake it up.

Oddily enough, some of my phones come with double-tap to wake, but not the double-tap to lock, so I have to rely on a thirdparty app like Nova as it's very useful. And Nova guys know it so it's a paid option ;)

Exactly, from any empty spot on the screen, you tap twice to lock the phone, then tap twice to wake it up.
But isn't that a security issue? I mean, what's the point of having a PIN or fingerprint to unlock the device if Joe Blow can unlock it by double-tapping its screen? Or am I misunderstanding?

At any rate, I played around with 2's double-tap actions, but haven't seen what you're looking for. There are still more things to explore...but it's not looking good. Too bad, since it's so nice otherwise.

But isn't that a security issue? I mean, what's the point of having a PIN or fingerprint to unlock the device if Joe Blow can unlock it by double-tapping its screen? Or am I misunderstanding?

You still have to use PIN/ Fingerprint/ Pattern to unlock the phone.

The feature is there just to save the life of the Power button.

Ha ha, it's dead around here so I thought I'd post something! Maybe get some conversation started. :)

I've been using ADW Launcher 1 EX (paid) for many years. I have absolutely no complaints about it--well, except for the status bar and dock transparency thing that started with the May 28th update.

But, on a whim today, I decided to buy ADW Launcher 2. After tinkering with its settings for awhile, I've decided either I'm missing something, or it is! :eek:

I imported a backup from 1 and that took care of some things, but not all. For example, I can't find its setting for 'custom color' for icon backgrounds. There are several other things I haven't found yet, either. I hope I just haven't found them yet, and it's not that they've been removed.

If you're reading this, feel free to jump in and discuss my favorite launcher(s)! :D

Saw your post, in the "Hiding Apps" thread and thought I'd give it a shot.
My initial thought was that I wasn't impressed. Been a Nova Prime user for a long time, and I just couldn't get my arms around ADW.
Now, after reading this thread, perhaps I should have tried ADW 1.

Saw your post, in the "Hiding Apps" thread and thought I'd give it a shot.
My initial thought was that I wasn't impressed. Been a Nova Prime user for a long time, and I just couldn't get my arms around ADW.
Now, after reading this thread, perhaps I should have tried ADW 1.
So you tried 2? Did you explore its many...many choices?

I'm still not used to its UI, after using 1 for so long. As noted in this thread, there are features I initially thought were missing, only to find them later...in a different place, or named differently, or controlled differently, etc.

I'd like to suggest giving it more time; explore its options thoroughly. If you're still not impressed, maybe it's just not for you. Or give 1 a try; its UI is cleaner and more, I don't know, compact? I like it better than 2's UI for sure, but 1 does lack some actual features 2 has.

I'd like to suggest giving it more time; explore its options thoroughly. If you're still not impressed, maybe it's just not for you.

Gave it an honest try, MoodyBlues, but I couldn't justify a change from Nova,
I've been a Nova Prime user for a long time, and there was a couple of features that I simply couldn't find on ADW, the ability to drop icons in between the grid; couldn't get the dock into infinite scroll.
Also, for some reason or another, I couldn't get my AccuWeather widget to work.

I was impressed though with the ability to easily theme it, initial setup allowed me to mimic Nova. I also tried one of the dark themes, from the play store. Which gave ADW dark settings as well as a small number of dark theme apps. I also thought that the ability to add filters, to the apps, might be interesting. I'll hang on to it and play with it, from time to time and see if I can replicate the Nova experience a bit better, but Nova will remain my default launcher for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom