• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[TUT] How to force install apps to SD card without ROOT!!!

Hi Praky, I've followed your instructions but couldn't carr on in DOS as the system couldn't find the specified file.
I had
C:\Users\MyName
and I'm the Administrator. When I put in your first command line, it couldn't find the path.
What did I do wrong?
Kies tried to start when I plugged in the phone, but I closed the window.
Can you or anybody else please help?
Many thanks :)

Upvote 0
Hey Praky,

After all of the steps are suppossedly successfully completed, I get the menu. So after "pm setinstalllocation 2" I get the menu. Is this ok, or did I do something wrong? Almost all of the apps are getting installed onto the phone's main memory, such as CBS Sports, EA Sports video games, TipSubmit, and Famous Quotes apps. Also, I can see the "move to sd card" option on all of these apps, but it is still greyed out.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hey Praky,

After all of the steps are suppossedly successfully completed, I get the menu. So after "pm setinstalllocation 2" I get the menu. Is this ok, or did I do something wrong? Almost all of the apps are getting installed onto the phone's main memory, such as CBS Sports, EA Sports video games, TipSubmit, and Famous Quotes apps. Also, I can see the "move to sd card" option on all of these apps, but it is still greyed out.

Thanks!
maybe it is expecting input after the menu. Try pressing 2 &enter after you get the menu.
Also try typing 'pm setinstalllocation' & hit enter. See if this also generates the menu?
Which android sdk you are on? 15?

Upvote 0
Hey Praky,

I also thought that it was awaiting input after the menu, so I entered "2" but it reads "permission denied". Yes, I'm using version 15 of SDK. I tried it with just "pm setinstalllocation" and the menu also popped up. Could it be that I'm running Girgerbread 2.3.4 on my phone and the SDK Software is only for 2.3.3? Is there any other way to make the apps move to sd, because as of right now I can only have like 3 apps at a time on my phone.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hey Praky,

I just tried it again right now. If I do:
"adb devices"
"adb shell pm setinstalllocation 2"
I get "permission denied"

If I try:
"adb devices"
"adb shell"
"pm setinstalllocation 2"
I get the meu, but I read everything very carefully this time and before the menu it reads, "Error: unknown command 'pm setinstalllocation'"

Why is this happening?
I already tried downloading the package for Android 3.0 and it didn't make a difference.

Upvote 0
Hey Praky,

I just tried it again right now. If I do:
"adb devices"
"adb shell pm setinstalllocation 2"
I get "permission denied"

If I try:
"adb devices"
"adb shell"
"pm setinstalllocation 2"
I get the meu, but I read everything very carefully this time and before the menu it reads, "Error: unknown command 'pm setinstalllocation'"

Why is this happening?
I already tried downloading the package for Android 3.0 and it didn't make a difference.
Android 3.0 won't work. Give me some time. I will try to repeat the process with the new sdk.

Upvote 0
Hey Praky,

I was typing "pm setinstalllocation 2"
The system is very picky, you have to capitalize the "I" and the "L"
"pm setInstallLocation 2"

However, the footprint that apps leave on my phone is still quite large and I just ran out of memory again. Is there a way to completely move the apps to the sd card without them leaving a footprint on the phone's internal memory?

Upvote 0
It sounds like you looped your phone. Try doing a hard reset. If that doesn't work, then you might want to try reinstalling the firmware. What carrier are you with and what Android version are you using? I used to have a BlackBerry and if something like this happened you could just lanch the BlackBerry sync program on your computer and it had an option to reinstall the firmware and that would take care of any problems.

Upvote 0
Hey,

I just did some research and it turns out that Android is not like the BlackBerry OS, so you actually can't reinstall the Android OS firmware. Try holding the volume up button and the power on button simultaneously; this should take you to the standard recovery mode. I'm not sure what options it gives because I don't have a Galaxy, but it should list an option to reset to factory settings; this should solve the issue.

Upvote 0
I've already done it successfully.

Does that mean all the apps afterwards I install would be installed automatically into the SD Card?

If I need to change it back, that is to say, I need my phone to install the apps into the phone momory automatically. Is it practicable that changing this ""pm setInstallLocation 2" into ""pm setInstallLocation 1" ""?

Upvote 0
Hi praky,

I have done this on SAMSUNG ACE and it worked just fine!!! Thanks for that....

I have one issue:
When i moved 15+ MB Application from Phone to SD, it didn't reduce the size on Phone but application got moved to SD. I have moved 10 such apps and i have only recovered around 10 MB space on phone memory, wherein i actually had to recover 40+ MB. Have you come across such issue?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones