• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root TWRP Bootloop fix after update/OTA

HasH_BrowN

Android Expert
Jun 11, 2015
Leesburg, Fl
Solution for bootlooping to TWRP after OTA update

I've got 2 simple commands to ease everyone's troubled minds. The overwhelming sense of accomplishment you'll get knowing you can use your device again. Take a step back and appreciate this moment. All joking aside, here you go.

You now have two choices. Follow the directions below or download the zip and flash in TWRP.
http://androidforums.com/resources/twrp-bootloop-fix-zip.214/ & please leave a review there.

Start up Terminal Emulator from TWRP.
  • Since its showing a file browser, hit the select button - bottom right, now you can enter command lines.
  • Enter commands EXACTLY as shown (please read disclaimer below).

Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/fota
Hit enter (return)...wait, takes a few seconds
Now input this
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/misc
Hit enter (return)...wait again.
When its complete, reboot.

_____
Tested and verified numerous times by myself before release.

Also as a note, you may have to reactivate your device before using data or the phone.

______
Disclaimer:
I will not be responsible for damages that occur to your device due to using the above TWRP commands.

_____
If this has helped please press LIKE, a pat on the back is always nice!

Last edited:
Hi, I'm quite a newbie so please bare with me because I need some help. I have an LG G-pad 7 which is rooted and I have TWRP installed. I did the mistake to do a system update and now my tablet is stuck to TWRP's boot menu screen. Will the solution offered above work for me? I don't want to mess things up even more.

And if it works, how can I proceed with the update? A detailed explanation of the needed steps would be appreciated. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm quite a newbie so please bare with me because I need some help. I have an LG G-pad 7 which is rooted and I have TWRP installed. I did the mistake to do a system update and now my tablet is stuck to TWRP's boot menu screen. Will the solution offered above work for me? I don't want to mess things up even more.

And if it works, how can I proceed with the update? A detailed explanation of the needed steps would be appreciated. Thanks.
The bootloop fix will just fix the bootloop, nothing else is touched. It should work, as I don't have the device I can't verify. (This is the LS660 Tribute forum). Which means, it'll work or it won't. Its not deleting your data. If your concerned just post a question on your devices forum and ask if this method will work. Please feel free to copy the link to the bootloop fix to include.

As far as the update, you wait for it to download to your device. Tap on the notification that will popup when finished downloading and follow the on screen directions. Very easy and simple. Nothing will be deleted during the update.

Upvote 0
The bootloop fix will just fix the bootloop, nothing else is touched. It should work, as I don't have the device I can't verify. (This is the LS660 Tribute forum). Which means, it'll work or it won't. Its not deleting your data. If your concerned just post a question on your devices forum and ask if this method will work. Please feel free to copy the link to the bootloop fix to include.

As far as the update, you wait for it to download to your device. Tap on the notification that will popup when finished downloading and follow the on screen directions. Very easy and simple. Nothing will be deleted during the update.

It worked! Thanks a lot for your reply and for starting this thread. I have one more question. When the tablet rebooted it started validating the update and when it completed it gave me a pop up saying that a new software update fro AT&T is available, that it will take several minutes, nothing will be deleted and the option to continue or "remind me later". I worry that if I continue I might end up in the same loop. What would you suggest?

I just want to add that it is probably a major system update as it is over 600MB in size.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It worked! Thanks a lot for your reply and for starting this thread. I have one more question. When the tablet rebooted it started validating the update and when it completed it gave me a pop up saying that a new software update fro AT&T is available, that it will take several minutes, nothing will be deleted and the option to continue or "remind me later". I worry that if I continue I might end up in the same loop. What would you suggest?

I just want to add that it is probably a major system update as it is over 600MB in size.
Make a backup in TWRP and save it to your external SD (tap the spot that says "internal"). Then do the update. If it bootloops run the fix again.

Upvote 0
It bootlooped again. Fortunately the fix did it's trick once more. I think it is a major update for Android version: 5.0.2 judging from its size (it only says AT&T update). Is there a way to upgrade the OS when rooted without deleting everything? Like say if I uninstall TWRP and re-install it after the upgrade?
You could backup the "data" in TWRP and then restore it after the update. The system files are going to put the OS version you have now back on there, so don't restore that. Check the forum for your device and see what others are saying about the update. READ READ READ. lol

Upvote 0
The tablet cannot be updated because it has been installed with a twrp image of my model v410 (with flashify), but ALSO it is not properly rooted (the validator says it is not, and I cannot perform actions that need rooting). I cannot re-root as purple drake gives an error. What can I do? Any help would be appreciated. Do you think a factory reset would work at this state? I haven't deleted any pre-installed apps.

Upvote 0
The tablet cannot be updated because it has been installed with a twrp image of my model v410 (with flashify), but ALSO it is not properly rooted (the validator says it is not, and I cannot perform actions that need rooting). I cannot re-root as purple drake gives an error. What can I do? Any help would be appreciated. Do you think a factory reset would work at this state? I haven't deleted any pre-installed apps.

Are you able to boot to recovery(TWRP)?

If so you could try placing su zip and busybox zip on your external sd. Then boot to twrp and install SU followed by busybox.

Many times getting an alternative recovery installed is the hard part. Since you have done that already installing SU and busybox via recovery should work.

As always results may vary and not responsible if bricking occurs.

Upvote 0
You would have to flash your stock recovery then update. Root through the steps you used previously. Install recovery.
If all else fails, restore the backup you made earlier.

Last edited:
Reactions: nicospanas
Upvote 0

If so you could try placing su zip and busybox zip on your external sd. Then boot to twrp and install SU followed by busybox.

Many times getting an alternative recovery installed is the hard part. Since you have done that already installing SU and busybox via recovery should work.

Will that work? I havent tried. Would assume so.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the ideas. I am afraid my knowledge at this point is not sufficient.

You would have to flash your stock recovery then update. Root through the steps you used previously. Install recovery.
If all else fails, restore the backup you made earlier.

I don't really know how to flash my stock recovery. And if I do it, will the tablet be reset to factory settings, so I can start from the beginning? Like, un-rooting, upgrading the OS, re-rooting and installing recovery? Is that what you are saying? Could you please give me the steps for flashing the recovery?

How do I boot to recovery TWRP? And could you please explain why to install su & BBox through twrp and not normally? Will this bring the root back (theoretically)?

And finally, do I need to bring the root back in order to flash the stock recovery and un-root the tablet? Sorry for all these questions, but I am lost and kind of "stranded".

Upvote 0
Maybe I should add that when I initially rooted the tablet I used purple drake and then (according to a tutorial I was following) I installed a custom recovery (Bump’s TWRP recovery?) using Flashify.
However, yesterday before trying to do the system upgrade I installed TWRP app in order to do a back up, which I have now moved to the external SD. In the process I uninstalled TWRP app and tried to unroot the tablet through an option in SU app. These last two steps probably have messed up the root.

Upvote 0
Maybe I should add that when I initially rooted the tablet I used purple drake and then (according to a tutorial I was following) I installed a custom recovery (Bump’s TWRP recovery?) using Flashify.
However, yesterday before trying to do the system upgrade I installed TWRP app in order to do a back up, which I have now moved to the external SD. In the process I uninstalled TWRP app and tried to unroot the tablet through an option in SU app. These last two steps probably have messed up the root.
Okay I'll try to provide some guidance. Again this is guidance and results may vary.

Rooting (allowing full admin rights) and custom recovery are two different things.

From your comments it sounds as all actoins at this time have been performed from device 'after' it has fully booted.

During process have you accessed recovery mode at any time?

Installing apps that work after boot is different than working from recovery.

You indicated you confirmed device is no longer rooted. Before we can try to help we need to know if you are able to boot direct to recovery mode?

If you can then confirm which recovery you have. There is a possibility your device may be stock.

Obtaining root is the hard part. Root allows full admin access. You can be rooted but not have a custom recovery. This is usually the case since custom recoveries are not created until root is obtained.

So first determine button combo to boot to recovery and see what is installed and report back. Your device may already be at unrooted stock but need to identify current recovery before we can provide any additional suggestions.

Upvote 0
Today and without touching anything the tablet is again stuck to TWRP boot screen. The commands don't work anymore, it says file isn't found. SU appears not to be installed and the option TWRP gives to install it just reboots the tablet to TWRP boot screen with SU still not installed. In Restore option appears no package to restore. and when I search in "Install" I cannot find where the image might be. The combo for recovery mode just gets me to TWRP. I think it is bricked.

Where can I get SU & Busybox zips?

Upvote 0
You arent bricked. Sounds like the root method you originally used borked your stock install and did not fully root the device. So you need to be able to put back your original stock install if possible. You say you did not change anything like uninstall system apps etc after the initial root attempt,you can try a factory restore it either works or it wont but twrp recovery will still be there if it fails so you wont completely tank the device,the restore just wont work. With twrp still present that leaves you with options you wouldnt have to get the device working again. You have nothing to lose at this point by trying a factory restore. Either it works or it doesnt.

Upvote 0
You arent bricked. Sounds like the root method you originally used borked your stock install and did not fully root the device. So you need to be able to put back your original stock install if possible. You say you did not change anything like uninstall system apps etc after the initial root attempt,you can try a factory restore it either works or it wont but twrp recovery will still be there if it fails so you wont completely tank the device,the restore just wont work. With twrp still present that leaves you with options you wouldnt have to get the device working again. You have nothing to lose at this point by trying a factory restore. Either it works or it doesnt.

Thanks, that's encouraging. You said a factory reset will still leave TWRP there. Will I be able to do the system update then?

I'm still hesitating a bit because my phone is AT&T but it is unlocked. With a factory reset I would probably end up with a locked tablet to AT&T (for the 4G). So if there's any chance to completely unroot and update the tablet I'd rather do that. But I don't know how to proceed from here, firstly because the root validator says I am not rooted (but purple drake gives an error when trying to root), secondly because SU appears not to be installed and lastly because whatever I do I end up with TWRP boot screen that I don't know how to handle.

How can I then properly unroot it so that I can update it? Please, with as much detail as possible.

Also, I made a backup with TWRP before I tried to update the tablet. I don't know if it is a system update or a just the data. How can I find out and maybe restore it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just restore your twrp backup. I bet that resolves these issues. As for the factory reset,thats a last resort sort of option. Its typically been considered a no no especially after rooting and installing custom recovery like twrp etc. But I have seen people do it who had not changed anything in their original install. So with that being the case. If you have not changed anything major it may work for you also. As for twrp still being there afterwards either the restore will put back the original recovery or it will leave twrp in place. But thats all beside the point now knowing you do have a working backup made through twrp. Just restore it then proceed from there on attempt to gain proper root.

Upvote 0
Just restore your twrp backup. I bet that resolves these issues. As for the factory reset,thats a last resort sort of option. Its typically been considered a no no especially after rooting and installing custom recovery like twrp etc. But I have seen people do it who had not changed anything in their original install. So with that being the case. If you have not changed anything major it may work for you also. As for twrp still being there afterwards either the restore will put back the original recovery or it will leave twrp in place. But thats all beside the point now knowing you do have a working backup made through twrp. Just restore it then proceed from there on attempt to gain proper root.

I have tried but maybe I'm missing something. When on TWRP boot screen I go to restore but when I browse in the folder I have the backup (on ext. SD) it is not showing (though it is there, I can see it on my PC). I should mention that I don't have the actual TWRP manager app installed on tablet. I had installed a custom recovery with Flashify, which apparently installed TWRP, or it came with the rooting itself. I cannot install TWRP manager app because the tablet appears not to be rooted. There is no SU, too.

Upvote 0
Since it appears you rooted and installed recovery via an app it is possible that the recovery installed is not configured properly for your device. However, as @Curtis1973 indicated you have TWRP so you should be okay.

Here are links to download SU and busybox. For busybox my preference is stericson version but again just my thoughts.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1538053 - SuperUser zip file

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1929852 - Busybox zip file

Place these on your external SD card. From TWRP select install then select SU zip file followed by Busybox.

If install works you will have root when you reboot device.

Good Luck!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones