• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unable to downgrade to 2.27.651.5 (CDMA Hero)

You will need to be S-Off to use this method that you posted;)

Sorry, but that is not true. I am not S-OFF and I have used this .zip file in HBOOT on a few different Sprint HTC Hero handsets, including my own, and it works just fine. Read the second post in the xda-developers thread and it even mentions that it works with S-ON. This is a very useful .zip file to have if you do not feel like installing HTC Sync and running the Android 2.1 RUU executable on your computer. ;)

EDIT: Yay. My two thousandth post. I am proud that I made it here in the Sprint HTC Hero root subforum. :)

Upvote 0
Sorry, but that is not true. I am not S-OFF and I have used this .zip file in HBOOT on a few different Sprint HTC Hero handsets, including my own, and it works just fine. Read the second post in the xda-developers thread and it even mentions that it works with S-ON. This is a very useful .zip file to have if you do not feel like installing HTC Sync and running the Android 2.1 RUU executable on your computer. ;)

EDIT: Yay. My two thousandth post. I am proud that I made it here in the Sprint HTC Hero root subforum. :)

My understanding is that if you are S-On, then h-boot will not recognize the zip. Therefore you will not be to update in h-boot. As far as I know, S-Off is a must to flash IMG.zip's in h-boot

Upvote 0
My understanding is that if you are S-On, then h-boot will not recognize the zip. Therefore you will not be to update in h-boot. As far as I know, S-Off is a must to flash IMG.zip's in h-boot

You know, we both might be right. I think it may depend on the version of the bootloader. I have an older version and have no issues with flashing from HBOOT even with S-ON. Perhaps some people are having trouble with this method because they have a newer version of the bootloader that removed this functionality unless S-OFF is set.

I remember seeing a few people have issues with this method, but others have had no problems even when being S-ON. Heck, if I recall, DonB was S-ON and used this method a few times and, as I mentioned above, several of my friends had S-ON, but used this to get back to stock. The thread at xda-developers is fairly old now and it does mention being able to use that method even with S-ON back then. However, if someone has flashed an OTA update that updates the bootloader to a newer version, it might be that they cannot take advantage of flashing the Android 2.1 RUU .zip file like some others, including me, can.

Reactions: andygu3
Upvote 0
Alternatively, you can do it the hard way. I believe the cyanogen mod wiki has the method ofrooting with adb listed. That's how I did my girls phone and it worked like a charm. Its not as easy as one click solution but it does work and you will probably learn done stuff in the process.

Upvote 0
Alternatively, you can do it the hard way. I believe the cyanogen mod wiki has the method ofrooting with adb listed. That's how I did my girls phone and it worked like a charm. Its not as easy as one click solution but it does work and you will probably learn done stuff in the process.

Indeed, it does work well. I have rooted several handsets via the Android SDK and ADB method.

I normally point people that are new to rooting to simpler methods just so that they can get their feet wet with Android first before learning the arcane art of Linux commands and so forth. If one likes to use a command line interface, like I do, then they should try the old fashioned methods at some point too.

Reactions: tripdoc79
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones