• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unfortunately, Google Play services has stopped.

unknownsoldi

Since yesterday, I get this popup about every minute. Sometimes more. Tried clearing the cache and data of the play store. Tried wiping the data of Google Play services using Titanium Backup. Tried uninstalling Google Play services using TB and reinstalling it from the Play store. Nothing stopped the error except leaving Google Play services uninstalled, which I can't do since I use many apps that require it.

I decided that I was due for a ROM reinstall anyway, so I went ahead and did that. As soon as I got everything set up and started getting apps from the Play Store, after the play store updated, the "Unfortunately, Google Play services has stopped" popup came back. Makes the phone practically unusable.

Hi. Let's try this:
1. set it to flight mode (offline) so the notifications stop.
2. go to the app manager in the general device settings.
3. go to 'all apps' and scroll all the way down.
4. enable any recently disabled app.
5. take your device out of flight mode again.

Is that not the same as unfreezing with TB? The app doesn't appear as disabled that list unless I have it frozen with TB.

Bottomline is that you disabled an app, and that is giving trouble.

I haven't disabled any apps except for Google Play Services. And only after doing a fresh wipe and flash, and Google Play Services was still crashing.

No other apps appear in the apps list as disabled.

I just flashed a different rom (CyanMobile X) ,i had 2 apps doing the same thing. Go to terminal emulator, make sure it was granted superuser permission, then type in,
su
fix_permissions

It should take a minute or less, depending how many apps you have.

Seems the rom doesn't have fix_permissions. I don't even see a sh folder in /system/bin

It's not sh permissions, it's su permissions, su stands for superuser.
Open terminal emulator it should look like this, on 4 lines of command.

$ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
$su
#su
#fix_permissions

It should look exactly like that, after you type in su, you should get # that means you've been granted superuser permission. Once you screen looks exactly like above click the bottom right key on your keyboard, (should look like the back button key) this will start the process, should only take less than a minute. Good luck :)

EDIT : I don't know about cot recovery, but you should be able to fix permission under the advanced section, I've done it in CWMT recovery.
Also when you changed roms, did you get a pop-up in titanium backup saying you need to change your device I'd. Every time i change roms and download TB i have to reset the device id number back to the original number.

I never typed "sh", that's the response when I enter the commands as you gave them. I've done it bofre on other roms many times, never had to do it on this rom until now.

Recovery does not have the fix permissions option.

I always have TB restore the device ID.

edit: also, from everything I can find on the subject, fix_permissions is supposed to be located in /system/bin/sh, but I go into my /system/bin folder and there is no sh subfolder. Did a full search for fix_permissions with Solid Explorer and it didn't find anything.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-27-23-00-16.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-27-23-00-16.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 250
Did Google Play services update as well? Try using a different ROM like a Jellybean or KitKat. Use Root Uninstaller to save all apps including Google Play Services. Once it updates reinstall the ROM you want. Then go to the Root Uninstaller folder on the sd card and install that Google Play services update after the PlayStore updates.

After looking at your screenshots your not typing su on the third line?
after $su type in su again, then it should work,
#su should look like this after typing su again.
then #fix_permissions

Try it, I'll bet it works, i did the same thing before. :)

Something else that could be causing a proplem.
For the Optimus V you should only use Titanium to restore apps and app data. Nothing else.
Try a fresh ROM and Gapps install and only restore missing apps and app data.

After looking at your screenshots your not typing su on the third line?
after $su type in su again, then it should work,
#su should look like this after typing su again.
then #fix_permissions

Try it, I'll bet it works, i did the same thing before. :)

Still same error. See screenshot.

Something else that could be causing a proplem.
For the Optimus V you should only use Titanium to restore apps and app data. Nothing else.
Try a fresh ROM and Gapps install and only restore missing apps and app data.

Not sure what you mean? What else would I be restoring besides missing apps and app data? That's all I restored.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-28-15-05-40.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-28-15-05-40.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 266
Just did another fresh install. Didn't download, install or update anything. Didn't install TB or change any settings. Just signed in, launched the play store a few times. Then let the phone sit. A while after the play store updated, I started getting the "Unfortunately, Google Play services has stopped" error again.

Sounds like Google Play Services is out of date.
Try installing the Bean_Whiz ROM. Then do as I mentioned earlier.

I tried one of the first things I tried was to uninstall Google Play Services and reinstall from the Play Store. Figured the Play Store would give me the latest version.

Using ICS is like beating a dead horse.
You would be way happier if you tried Bean_Whiz or KitKat.

I don't like the bugs and features of any of the KitKat ROMs at the moment, so I guess I'll give your Bean_Whiz a try. Though, I will really miss the speaker phone.

Will my COT and backups from other recoveries work with CWMT Recovery?

Thats really not an issue. If you use recovery's that are in a flashable zip, you can easily install a different recovery by installing like you would a ROM (do not wipe or format anything though). Then choose the "reboot recovery" option to see the installed recovery.
I have made flashable zips of the Touchscreen CWMod and BobZohme's VM670NH.
The COT, ZenGarden, Xionia, and the two recovery's for KitKat already come in a flashable zip form.
I can change recovery's in less than a minute.
Link to the flashable Touchscreen CWMod recovery is in the Bean_Whiz thread.

Speaker phone not functioning is the only bug left I haven't fixed. Big computer in storage right now, just have small IBM Thinkpad with a 20GB hard drive so no way I can try to fix the source code to get speaker phone function to work right now.

How often does the RAM get low on Bean_whiz? It's been a year or so since I last tried a JB ROM, and it was unusably slow for me which is why I've been using CAI for so long. Even ICS often gets frustratingly slow, I have to reflash after a month or so.

Also, should I update the baseband? I'm still on ZV5.

Back
Top Bottom