• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unroot and s-on before returning phone?

I'm thinking of exchanging my EVO for another EVO. If that one isn't any better than the one I have now I'll either go with the Galaxy Nexus or maybe a cheaper (but more reliable) Virgin Mobile phone. It's a great phone but the signal fluctuation crap annoys the hell out of me. And I know for a fact I miss calls here and there.

So anyway, before returning should I undo everything I did to it?
I followed the "Fix your phone by turning it into an EVO 3D" and made the appropriate modifications to the phone (S-off, root, hboot, blah blah)

Thanks.

I don't know if anything would happen if you return it rooted. But if you don't want to risk it you should just be able to run the RUU (select the one that says RUU_Shooter_ICS_35_S_Sprint_WWE_VM_1.13.652.2_etc...) to return to stock, and then return your phone to s-on using fastboot command fastboot oem writesecureflag 3

It should really be that simple!

Also, I moved this over to the all things root section ;)

Upvote 0
There was a topic here not too long ago that asked the same thing and the general consensus was that it doesn't matter. Virgin Mobile most likely won't even (have time to) check your phone and they'll just take your phone and they'll flash it back to stock. But I guess it doesn't hurt to just flash back to stock just in case, all it takes is a download and a few minutes of your time.
reference: http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-a...g-my-phone-back-virgin-mobile-unroot-not.html

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
I tried reflashing my stock rom back up and it wouldn't boot up (boot loop). Same thing with the Stock_VM_shooter rom.

What gives? I was gonna just flash that stock rom and return it like that. This is becoming a headache.

You can either update your hboot or run the Ruu. Unfortunately I'm not at my pc for the rest of the night so I can't package up an update file for you. Maybe tomorrow...

Upvote 0
As has been posted numerous times, the first thing that virgin does when you return a phone is do a quick cursory physical exam for obvious problems like a cracked screen and then they flash a fresh image both to get rid of any customer information and return the phone to a known state for further troubleshooting. I've personally returned 8 phones without issues.

Upvote 0
I'm thinking of exchanging my EVO for another EVO. If that one isn't any better than the one I have now I'll either go with the Galaxy Nexus or maybe a cheaper (but more reliable) Virgin Mobile phone. It's a great phone but the signal fluctuation crap annoys the hell out of me. And I know for a fact I miss calls here and there.

So anyway, before returning should I undo everything I did to it?
I followed the "Fix your phone by turning it into an EVO 3D" and made the appropriate modifications to the phone (S-off, root, hboot, blah blah)

Thanks.

I've returned phones fully rooted and balls deep in a customized ROM and nothing happened to my account.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones