• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root unrooting help

JB in AZ

Android Expert
hey guys...been trying for hours to unroot.
hboot 2.02,
baseband 2.15.00.11.19
software 3.70.651.1
PRI 1.90_003
Rooted with unrevoked 3.3 (i think it was 3.3) Previoulsy had flashed the combo update to get the latest radios etc, to run Calkulins EViO2 v1.8 rom, which was running perfectly. Followed the steps in the Rooting for Dummies guide to unroot. Flashed the s-on tool, it now shows s-on. Downloaded and renamed the file to PC36IMG.zip...not zip zip...flashed the PC36IMG.zip, (hopefully the right one, selected the one for hboot 2.02) and it says checking, there is a progress bar, (running amon RA 2.1.1) then it stops, and never gives me the choice to say yes or no...rebooting just gets me back to the custom rom I had previously installed. I even re-downloaded the PC36IMG file in case I got a bad download. What gives? Thanks for any help. Exhausted, going to bed. I need to have this unrooted on Friday.

I suspect that I may have the wrong PC36IMG file, I chose the one for HBoot 2.02... :confused::confused:

Not to suggest something noobish but it's flashed in hboot not recovery. Just not sure why you mentioned your recovery during flashing. I' have a killer hang over. I'll help when I wake up lol. Zzzzzzzz

hey guys...been trying for hours to unroot.
hboot 2.02,
baseband 2.15.00.11.19
software 3.70.651.1
PRI 1.90_003
Rooted with unrevoked 3.3 (i think it was 3.3) Previoulsy had flashed the combo update to get the latest radios etc, to run Calkulins EViO2 v1.8 rom, which was running perfectly. Followed the steps in the Rooting for Dummies guide to unroot. Flashed the s-on tool, it now shows s-on. Downloaded and renamed the file to PC36IMG.zip...not zip zip...flashed the PC36IMG.zip, (hopefully the right one, selected the one for hboot 2.02) and it says checking, there is a progress bar, (running amon RA 2.1.1) then it stops, and never gives me the choice to say yes or no...rebooting just gets me back to the custom rom I had previously installed. I even re-downloaded the PC36IMG file in case I got a bad download. What gives? Thanks for any help. Exhausted, going to bed. I need to have this unrooted on Friday.

I suspect that I may have the wrong PC36IMG file, I chose the one for HBoot 2.02... :confused::confused:

Since you are already on Hboot 2.02, you might try the one for 2.10 to see if maybe it is a bad file. I don't see the upgrade in hboot being a problem as you know it is still rootable other than if you keep the same phone for some reason having an issue with restoring nandroids. Otherwise maybe try the Ruu from the pc instead of hboot.

Not to suggest something noobish but it's flashed in hboot not recovery. Just not sure why you mentioned your recovery during flashing. I' have a killer hang over. I'll help when I wake up lol. Zzzzzzzz
Yeah, I was "flashing" the PC36IMG.zip file in Hboot, not recovery. It was late when I wrote that, and decided to add the info about using amonRA as an afterthought, just to provide more useful info. I flashed the s-on zip in recovery...LOL

Since you are already on Hboot 2.02, you might try the one for 2.10 to see if maybe it is a bad file. I don't see the upgrade in hboot being a problem as you know it is still rootable other than if you keep the same phone for some reason having an issue with restoring nandroids. Otherwise maybe try the Ruu from the pc instead of hboot.
Thanks, I will try the PC36IMG.zip for the 2.10 hboot. That is an excellent thought. I trying to read and follow every step exactly as written, and it said to choose the file that matched my hboot. Makes sense to me know! Thanks! I will try that this morning, after I fully wake up from my waaayy too short 4 hour sleep. :(

I even thought of the possibly of just trying to flash a "stock" rom via recovery...I was too tired last night to even think about looking for a download! LOL

Since you are already on Hboot 2.02, you might try the one for 2.10 to see if maybe it is a bad file. I don't see the upgrade in hboot being a problem as you know it is still rootable other than if you keep the same phone for some reason having an issue with restoring nandroids....

This worked! Must have been a bad file. Thank you! :)

Glad you got it working JB :). Something the rooting for dummies guide doesn't explain is that once you have S-ON, whatever you flash in hboot must match normal, unrooted flashing procedures. Okay, that was a bad way to put it. What I mean is that if it's not something you could do while unrooted, it's not going to work once you have S-ON. More specifically, you were trying to flash the PC36IMG containing an RUU with the 2.02 hboot. This matched you current hboot, but you have newer radios. That means the PC36IMG.zip would attempt to flash older radios. That is not allowed with S-ON, so it fails. You were able to flash the PC36IMG with hboot 2.10 because it wasn't trying to flash older radios. It only flashed a newer hboot, which is, of course, allowed with S-ON (if it wasn't, nobody would be able to get OTAs :p).

Glad you got it working JB :). Something the rooting for dummies guide doesn't explain is that once you have S-ON, whatever you flash in hboot must match normal, unrooted flashing procedures. Okay, that was a bad way to put it. What I mean is that if it's not something you could do while unrooted, it's not going to work once you have S-ON. More specifically, you were trying to flash the PC36IMG containing an RUU with the 2.02 hboot. This matched you current hboot, but you have newer radios. That means the PC36IMG.zip would attempt to flash older radios. That is not allowed with S-ON, so it fails. You were able to flash the PC36IMG with hboot 2.10 because it wasn't trying to flash older radios. It only flashed a newer hboot, which is, of course, allowed with S-ON (if it wasn't, nobody would be able to get OTAs :p).
Thanks for the great explaination akazabam, as always! It was late when I was trying to do it, and I was sure it was something I was doing wrong. But after I re-downloaded the PC36IMG file a third time and it didn't work, I gave up and asked for help, then went to bed for the replies in the morning. which I got from xtreme.

BTW I noticed a step (or two) in the unrooting guide that isn't exaclty clear, or accurate...

It says this: (Red text by me and is the issue I am refering to)
STEP 10: RECOVERY MODE
Hold down VOL DOWN + POWER until device boots into a White Screen.
Move to RECOVERY by using the VOL DOWN toggle and select by using POWER button.
I don't think this step is needed, as it is in HBOOT (the white screen), and will start automatically scanning for the PC36IMG.zip file...
(At least this is what I experienced!)

The Device will check for the PC36IMG.zip and then ask you YES/NO to apply the newly introduced update. Press VOL UP = YES or VOL DOWN = NO.
Once Completed, press VOL UP to reboot.

(If you wait, as I did after it completes, the option to select VOL UP to reboot goes away, and it will run the update again)

Haha, I never noticed that before. It looks like a copy/paste mistake, as steps 9 and 10 are there twice. They are correct the first time, as that assumes you haven't copied the PC36IMG.zip yet, and is having you go to recovery to copy it over. That is correct. The second time they are there, they should be steps 13 and 14, and should specify not to go to recovery, but wait in hboot. You might want to hit up matlock to have him fix that.

Back
Top Bottom