• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Upcoming New OTA and root?

aburgthing

Jun 24, 2010
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Was over on XDA reading and trying to learn as much as I can. Frankly, those guys are intimidating with their level of knowledge, most not rude or anything but inpatient that you have not researched enough on your own. Unfortuanately sometimes you just can't get your head around something and wind up confused. So I'll ask here where there seems to a little tolerence to pure newbies.

If I read correctly, there seems to be a new OTA Froyo update on the horizon that has already been leaked. Seems Fresh has already created a ROM off of it (Supersonic 3.28.651.1) the last official release version is 3.26.651.6. It claims to have superior battery life, better (astonishing) utilization of 4G and some other goodies (new widgets etc.). However, as with all custom ROMS there are some glitches as I read through. I don't feel confident with my level of knowledge to deal with the problems. For them it's like just flash blah, blah, go into sdk, mount this, type that, etc. to get this back. I am currently rooted using Unrevoked Forever, running the stock ROM with a custom Kernal. My phone is rock solid stable and works as I want it. But I have a few questions that over there it seems you should just know, but reading the entire 100 pg. + thread I have not been able to find the answer to. What if I stay where I am right now, and then Sprint and HTC begins pushing the new OTA out? What happens if you accept it? Will you lose root? Should I wait to see what happens in case HTC finds some way to close doors to root again? Should I now and forever more wed myself to XDA for rooted ROMS and never OTA update again? I have the whole concept of flashing ROMS, Kernels etc. Just need a little guidance going forward.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I do not know how unrevoked works exactly, but if you are rooted you should never accept an OTA update. you will most certainly lose root.

I have never been prompted to do an OTA update by my phone since rooting, nor do I look for them.

If you want to stay on a stock rom just wait for the rooted version to come out over at XDA. these usually show up with in 24 hours of being officially released to the public. I just wait a day or 2 after the official update and then go grab the rom from xda. just be patient a rooted rom comes quick. if you chose to accept the OTA update a new root method may take a month or so to be released. a day or 2 to get the rooted rom is nothing and is sometimes released with in a couple of hours after official release.

you will usually see odexed and de-odexed versions of the stock rom. de-odexed versions allow you to flash custom themes from xda.

edit: fresh has already released the stock rom - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=773444

Reactions: aburgthing
Upvote 0
Was over on XDA reading and trying to learn as much as I can. Frankly, those guys are intimidating with their level of knowledge, most not rude or anything but inpatient that you have not researched enough on your own. Unfortuanately sometimes you just can't get your head around something and wind up confused. So I'll ask here where there seems to a little tolerence to pure newbies.

If I read correctly, there seems to be a new OTA Froyo update on the horizon that has already been leaked. Seems Fresh has already created a ROM off of it (Supersonic 3.28.651.1) the last official release version is 3.26.651.6. It claims to have superior battery life, better (astonishing) utilization of 4G and some other goodies (new widgets etc.). However, as with all custom ROMS there are some glitches as I read through. I don't feel confident with my level of knowledge to deal with the problems. For them it's like just flash blah, blah, go into sdk, mount this, type that, etc. to get this back. I am currently rooted using Unrevoked Forever, running the stock ROM with a custom Kernal. My phone is rock solid stable and works as I want it. But I have a few questions that over there it seems you should just know, but reading the entire 100 pg. + thread I have not been able to find the answer to. What if I stay where I am right now, and then Sprint and HTC begins pushing the new OTA out? What happens if you accept it? Will you lose root? Should I wait to see what happens in case HTC finds some way to close doors to root again? Should I now and forever more wed myself to XDA for rooted ROMS and never OTA update again? I have the whole concept of flashing ROMS, Kernels etc. Just need a little guidance going forward.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
I wouldn't worry about OTA updates once you are rooted. Definitely get from XDA as they usually fix any glitches pretty quick that Sprint releases.

I wouldn't be afraid to flash some custom ROMs now and get away from stock as there are alot of solid custom roms out there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones