• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Usb Jig

lotsip81

I bought a usb jig as a "just in case" device. I plugged it in, after powering off, and it did indeed bring up the download menu. But what it didn't do was reset my binary counter. I have read somewhere that these jigs don't work on any fimware 2.3.4 or newer.

Is this true or did I get a defective usb jig?

You probably have the new bootloader which stops the jig from working. You can download and flash the old bootloader from here
[ROM+Guide]Official i9100 Firmwares K/G/H/I/J/K1/2/5/KL1/2/3/LA2,4/LB2,LPE/Q Download - xda-developers

Its in the middle of post #2

Thanks a lot Shotgun84, I got another question for you. Once I flash the old bootloader, is there any reason to flash back to the new one? Are there any benefits?

Also, is this flashed via Odin or can I use CWM?

The new boot loader gives no advantages over the old one whatsoever. It was designed by Samsung purely to get around resetting the insecure firmware counter.

It doesn't really matter which bootloader you have. I think the only difference between them is that the jig doesn't work on the new one.

It has to be flashed with Odin. Flash it like you would firmware but put it in the bootloader section of Odin.

You probably have the new bootloader which stops the jig from working.

You were dead on the money. Flashed the old bootloader, and presto.......it worked. You see, that's why I come here 'cause you people are in the "know".

Gotta admit, even though I am still rooted, I kinda miss the "!" at boot. My little measure of phone freedom.

Thanks for the help

You were dead on the money. Flashed the old bootloader, and presto.......it worked. You see, that's why I come here 'cause you people are in the "know".

Gotta admit, even though I am still rooted, I kinda miss the "!" at boot. My little measure of phone freedom.

Thanks for the help

I know what you mean, the yellow triangle is a badge of knowledge. However always worth knowing it can be got rid of. I wonder if ICS will let us use the old boot loader to user the USB jig ? Does anyone know ?

I suspect it may brick our phones if we try and flash the old bootloader, but I have no idea really. I'm nee to the wonderful world of Android too. It is possible it is the dearest way to a shiny Samsung paper weight.

Same issues with my S2 on GB 2.3.5 - jig won't reset binary counts.

Can anyone point out where the 'old and new' bootloader is for:

2.3.5 - I9100BVKJ4 - This is an official Orange stock ROM.

Kernel 2.6.35.7 - I9100BVKJ4-CL681297root@DELL135

Had a look at mid post 2 on the link to xda and still looking...

Thanks

:(

Same issues with my S2 on GB 2.3.5 - jig won't reset binary counts.

Can anyone point out where the 'old and new' bootloader is for:

2.3.5 - I9100BVKJ4 - This is an official Orange stock ROM.

Kernel 2.6.35.7 - I9100BVKJ4-CL681297root@DELL135

Had a look at mid post 2 on the link to xda and still looking...

Thanks

:(

See Post#2

Back
Top Bottom