• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root velocity 1 dalvik to cache

Ok kiddies.

That was allot harder than I thought. But now it is much better.

Update 21

using mount -bind rather than symlinks.

I tested rebooted, moved back rebooted, tested rebooted. Opening browser in between. I have to get back to work and dont have a whole lotta time to do thoughough testing, but this one SHOULDNT cause force closes (well on stock apps since thats all I tested)

If someone can do some more thourough testing please do.

EDIT:
On the moving dalvik back to data I had to make it wipe the dalvik, this will make your phone take awhile (depends on how many apps you have) to boot.

As you know Sav. I got stuck on Sliver Velocity and had to pull battery and restore nandroid. Also thanks for all the work on scripts

rock and roll. lets give it another try. script says 23 now. this moved MUCH more than before. I am showing 92 free. earlier today before the fails I was seeing 60 ish. opened some good apps no forecloses

I didn't have trouble til lI rebooted last time so I am doing that now
wait....

I opened a bunch of apps
touchdown exchange ...good
google maps ....good
angry birds level one ...good
gmail send and receive ...good
connect to market... good
root explorer... good
TiBU backup and Batch backup good
Keepass... good
office talk login ...good
dropbox... good

reboot again. good
dolphin browser hd ...good

looks pretty good.
thanks.

I don't know what zip align does. But why odex if you're moving dalvik cache? You cant change theme!

I believe zip align meves the files around in the apk so they are closer to the order in which they need to load. but I could be wrong.

themeing... I did an nandroid before I odexed. so I can go back without reflashing the rom. I can then restore tibu and i am back nearly to where i was.

I changed theme from ginger to ginger blue. i won't change it again. and I could if I wanted. see above.

I just odexed and I have more space but I keep getting force close for Android keyboard (process com.android.inputmethod.latin)
Dammit!
And even though I read and THANKED the post above me... I (once again) forgot to do a nandroid.

Help me! I'm a moron! :)

quick question, dont let me get anyone off topic, but i use dalviktocache, and then i clear my cache with cachemate, will that clear dalvik too?

quick question, dont let me get anyone off topic, but i use dalviktocache, and then i clear my cache with cachemate, will that clear dalvik too?

Nope. Cache and dalkvik cache are completely seperate and different. You can get titanium backup pro and it will delete and excess or just wipe it all in recovery just gotta wait for the long reboot but nothing will change

Nope. Cache and dalkvik cache are completely seperate and different. You can get titanium backup pro and it will delete and excess or just wipe it all in recovery just gotta wait for the long reboot but nothing will change

If I cleared my dalkvik cache with titanium backup pro will odexing also create more space? Can I odex with titanium backup pro? or just Velocity. Should I do it?

If I cleared my dalkvik cache with titanium backup pro will odexing also create more space? Can I odex with titanium backup pro? or just Velocity. Should I do it?

If you are running velocity 1 you can odex with the velocity script. i wouldnt odex, you dont gain anything more than a little bit of space and you cant change theme.
If you have no interest in theming and dont want to use dalvik2cache then yeah odex but I would use the velocity script to use dalvik2cache, you could gain 60ishmb in your data partition
'some apps dont work well with it' but i personally have never had any problems and i have 70ish user apps on my phone and ive been using it for over a month now.

If you are running velocity 1 you can odex with the velocity script. i wouldnt odex, you dont gain anything more than a little bit of space and you cant change theme.
If you have no interest in theming and dont want to use dalvik2cache then yeah odex but I would use the velocity script to use dalvik2cache, you could gain 60ishmb in your data partition
'some apps dont work well with it' but i personally have never had any problems and i have 70ish user apps on my phone and ive been using it for over a month now.
Well thanks for the info. First I will have to figure out how to create a nanroid backup.

Well thanks for the info. First I will have to figure out how to create a nanroid backup.

Oh man! Either hold end (in in velocity) and select recovery, in terminal or adb
$su
#reboot recovery
Or when off hold end+menu+send

Once in recovery use dpad to navigate, enter to select, voldown to go back. With amonra recovery. Then select backup, restore (i think) and nandroid+secure

Oh man! Either hold end (in in velocity) and select recovery, in terminal or adb
$su
#reboot recovery
Or when off hold end+menu+send

Once in recovery use dpad to navigate, enter to select, voldown to go back. With amonra recovery. Then select backup, restore (i think) and nandroid+secure

Well I was able to muddle my way thru it in terminal. Hold end?? So now I've created my first nandriod.

Well I was able to muddle my way thru it in terminal. Hold end?? So now I've created my first nandriod.

with velocity when you hold end to get the power menu (power off/ airplan mode..) also has options for reboot and recovery. you got into recovery to make the nandroid right?

with velocity when you hold end to get the power menu (power off/ airplan mode..) also has options for reboot and recovery. you got into recovery to make the nandroid right?

Ah now if you had said "hold the power off button" I would have understood. Lol!

Sorry if this is what I've heard to be called "bumping an old thread," but I would like some assistance please. I would like to move my dalvik-cache to my sd card (it's the one that came with the phone, haven't gotten around to getting a new one XP). How would I go about doing that?

EDIT: My reason behind wanting this is b/c my market (both the latest update and stock) has given me the old "insufficient storage" error from the cache being too small. The dalvik-cache is already in my cache for some reason, and I want to get that sucker out and on my sd card so I can download apps of any great size again (like Third Blade). I have 98 mb of internal 106 MB of internal storage and a little over 2g of sd space available.

EDIT 2: Nvm I'm good now didn't need to move dalvik after all :)

Back
Top Bottom