• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Alright so how do I install 4.0.4..

Shockwave78

Android Enthusiast
I finally broke down and unlocked my Gnex...I am about to root it also using wugs kit.

I have another program called "galaxy nexus toolkit" that i cannot get it to even start, the cmd window pops up really quick and then quits before i can read the error.

Anyway..

1. How do i go about saving my 4.0.2 in case i want to go back?

2. Can I flash 4.0.4 with Wug's program?

3. Whats this clockwork mod i keep seeing, and people are flashing and doing backups that way sometimes?

Thanks for any help

*EDIT*

I have been looking for a guide for installing this for about 45 minutes now, i see multiple threads around with 200+ post and I am not sure if they are in there or whatnot. But i am not seeing anything specifically on how to install 4.0.4

The wug fresh toolkit will flash you back to stock image to
You can back up your rom with rom manager or astro file
The wugfresh should install temporary cwm to your phone after its done download rom manager flash clock work mod recovery. place your rom on the root of the SD card
After that boot into recovery while the phones off
Hold power button and the up/down buttons at the same time. Then scroll up or down using the volume keys go up or down find recovery in red use power button to select.
To install wipe data factory reset, cache, dalvik cache
Find your rom by choose zip to install and flash it and reboot.

wug's toolkit will root and install clockwork recovery for you at the same time. once you have gotten it to work successfully, installing 4.0.4 is very easy.

1. to backup 4.0.2, reboot into recovery (hold volume + and - while turning on, scroll to "recovery" from the menu with your volume keys and press power to select). this should take you into clockwork. select "backup & restore" and create a full backup from there. this will allow you to restore 4.0.2 at any point in the future.

2. to flash 4.0.4, download the .zip file to your device from here. reboot into recovery, wipe data, cache, and dalvik cache (under advanced), then choose "install .zip from sd" and find the 4.0.4 zip you just downloaded (probably in the download folder), then select "install". when it is finished choose "reboot system now" and you're done.

3. pretty sure the other two answers covered this question.

lots more information and detailed instructions can be found here:
http://androidforums.com/verizon-ga...how-all-things-root-samsung-galaxy-nexus.html

good luck, and don't be afraid to ask questions! there are plenty of people around to help. :cool:

Clockwork Mod Recovery (CWM) is a custom recovery, and yes, that's where you do your backing up and flashing.

Yes, the information you need is in here.

Start with "How to install Clockwork Mod" and follow those directions. Once it's running, boot into CWM and make a backup of your current setup. Then follow the directions under "How to flash a ROM with CWM". If you want to stay rooted, get your ROM file from here.

Edit: Pretty thoroughly ninja'd. That's what I get for eating and typing at the same time.

The wug fresh toolkit will flash you back to stock image to
You can back up your rom with rom manager or astro file
The wugfresh should install temporary cwm to your phone after its done download rom manager flash clock work mod recovery. place your rom on the root of the SD card
After that boot into recovery while the phones off
Hold power button and the up/down buttons at the same time. Then scroll up or down using the volume keys
To install wipe data factory reset, cache, dalvik cache
Find your rom by choose zip to install and flash it and reboot.

half of that i don't even understand :)

Where do i download CWM? I went to the site and it just brings me to a bunch of other developer downloads.

half of that i don't even understand :)

Where do i download CWM? I went to the site and it just brings me to a bunch of other developer downloads.

Its in the Android market the wugfresh toolkit will root and temporary flash recovery for you then your on in market download rom manger open it allow root access at the top you should see Flash clockwokmod recovery do it and if asks choose toro CDMA Verizon not GSM .

Its in the Android market the wugfresh toolkit will root and temporary flash recovery for you then your on in market download rom manger open it allow root access at the top you should see Flash clockwokmod recovery do it and if asks choose toro CDMA Verizon not GSM .

Are you talking about Wugs Root toolkit?..I have that installed already.

Yes on my wugfresh it walks you through everything and tells what to do 1.2.2 is the wugfresh version I used.

Yes on my wugfresh it walks you through everything and tells what to do 1.2.2 is the wugfresh version I used.

ya i am on 1.3...I am way past that point.. I am unlocked and just trying to install 4.0.4 now..

Whenever i try to install CWM nothing happens...

ya i am on 1.3...I am way past that point.. I am unlocked and just trying to install 4.0.4 now..

Whenever i try to install CWM nothing happens...

Through rom manager the app on the market you mean right?

Are you rooted? you need more then just being unlocked look through your apps on the phone for the superuser app please.

Are you rooted? you need more then just being unlocked look through your apps on the phone for the superuser app please.

Alright thanks...Getting somewhere now.

From all the comments i read earlier was that you do not need to be rooted in order to flash 4.0.4 or any other roms really. But it looks like the easy way is to use wugs toolkit to unlock and root. Then you use the rom manager from the market to flash different roms?

Mine is in the process of saving my my current rom. Then after that i guess i look to install 4.0.4?

Alright thanks...Getting somewhere now.

From all the comments i read earlier was that you do not need to be rooted in order to flash 4.0.4 or any other roms really. But it looks like the easy way is to use wugs toolkit to unlock and root. Then you use the rom manager from the market to flash different roms?

Mine is in the process of saving my my current rom. Then after that i guess i look to install 4.0.4?

I don't use rommanager to flash roms I go into the boot loader find recovery choose zip, find the rom and flash remember to wipe data, cache, dalvik cache please and reboot.

I don't use rommanager to flash roms I go into the boot loader find recovery choose zip, find the rom and flash remember to wipe data, cache, dalvik cache please and reboot.

To late :)

I used the ROM manager to install 4.0.4(so far its still installing) and seems to be going alright.

It did have the options to wipe data, cache, and delvik cache. Delvik was the only one selected by default so i left it at that.

So if i want to install not through rom manager i just go to recovery and install from there?

Thanks for all help man!

To late :)

I used the ROM manager to install 4.0.4(so far its still installing) and seems to be going alright.

It did have the options to wipe data, cache, and delvik cache. Delvik was the only one selected by default so i left it at that.

So if i want to install not through rom manager i just go to recovery and install from there?

Thanks for all help man!

I went through rommanager once and it didn't work if it works hell ya use it if not you know of another way now.
And your welcome enjoy your Gnexus its a beautiful phone.

I went through rommanager once and it didn't work if it works hell ya use it if not you know of another way now.
And your welcome enjoy your Gnexus its a beautiful phone.

Booted up and working perfect on 4.0.4!

Yep, the Gnex is great, stood in line the first day it came out when verizon opened :D

Booted up and working perfect on 4.0.4!

Yep, the Gnex is great, stood in line the first day it came out when verizon opened :D

That's great news.
Their mods and guides in here that are knowledgeable on the device and people like me as well we're here to help
And links everywhere for roms, kernels, guides to root or unrooting/ relocking, flashing to stock image you know this probably so enjoy the forums.

So I have unlocked and rooted per wugs toolkit, flashed 4.0.4, and just installed nova launcher again. My widgets aren't able to be in the tray and i cant give it permission. Through from manager I can't fix permissions , and when I tried to update binary in superuser it said root access failed. I'm a little confused as my phone is working fine and is flashed to 4.0.4, why is it saying I'm not rooted?

So I have unlocked and rooted per wugs toolkit, flashed 4.0.4, and just installed nova launcher again. My widgets aren't able to be in the tray and i cant give it permission. Through from manager I can't fix permissions , and when I tried to update binary in superuser it said root access failed. I'm a little confused as my phone is working fine and is flashed to 4.0.4, why is it saying I'm not rooted?

you should start a new thread about this.
i think what happened is the root is broken try to reflash the su zip again and see if that helps.

look at this thread see if it helps you any
http://androidforums.com/verizon-ga...e-my-step-step-why-isnt-my-root-sticking.html

So can any of u evil scientists confirm to me that 4.0.4 improves signal reception? My 4g at the house is very weak compared to what i got on the rezound at my house so was hoping this update fixxed it a bit!

So can any of u evil scientists confirm to me that 4.0.4 improves signal reception? My 4g at the house is very weak compared to what i got on the rezound at my house so was hoping this update fixxed it a bit!

Yes it helped my data connection before my Droid X would download quicker then the Gnexus now with the radio update it improved my signal to equal my Droid X radio in a nut shell.

Thanks a lot ZeroOne. After reading through the thread you posted, I think what happened was when I downloaded 4.0.4, it was the Official Android 4.0.4 IMM30B OTA, instead of the rooted de-odexed blah blah blah. Now I'm going to work on flashing the right one lol.

Back
Top Bottom