• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Android lovers help me first time user

DoctorEyeSight

Android Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2012
Hi,

Top 5 things I should do to my Gnexus and how? Please tell me step by step. I OWN THE VERIZON 4glte usa one!

I have read forums and websites and youtube videos on how to root - this is damn confusing. Please link me to the easiest way to root as this is my first android phone.

So let me know what else i should do AFTER rooting. I want to finish this as it has been a week of me owning the stock version.

You need Galaxy Nexus root toolkit by WugFresh its common sense to figure it out really simple,it'll break the steps up into initial setup to unlock and root. The sdk tools, files the toolkit will download them for you also nice huh. Oh when you unlock your boot loader it'll wipe your SD card so prepare for that and enjoy your Gnexus.

Reactions: DoctorEyeSight
Upvote 0
Why do you want to root? There's quite a bit you can do without rooting -- load Nova Launcher and customize the appearance, or side-load apps that aren't in the market.

It's not like an iPhone. The OS gives a lot of ability to change things without having to root it and load a custom mod.

If you're that much of a newcomer to Android, and are confused, maybe you should stick to to stock for a while.

Try Nova Launcher -- you can change the appearance of just about everything with it.

And Light Flow -- a fun app to get all your notifications (LED and sound) customized exactly like you want.

Upvote 0
Link please?

You need Galaxy Nexus root toolkit by WugFresh its common sense to figure it out really simple,it'll break the steps up into initial setup to unlock and root. The sdk tools, files the toolkit will download them for you also nice huh. Oh when you unlock your boot loader it'll wipe your SD card so prepare for that and enjoy your Gnexus.

Upvote 0
What's the best and easiest and top notch quality way of doing it?

Why do you want to root? There's quite a bit you can do without rooting -- load Nova Launcher and customize the appearance, or side-load apps that aren't in the market.

It's not like an iPhone. The OS gives a lot of ability to change things without having to root it and load a custom mod.

If you're that much of a newcomer to Android, and are confused, maybe you should stick to to stock for a while.

Try Nova Launcher -- you can change the appearance of just about everything with it.

And Light Flow -- a fun app to get all your notifications (LED and sound) customized exactly like you want.

Upvote 0
Best phone out there...good choice.....
Here are a few links to get you started. Just another suggestion too: read and don't hesitate to pm or ask for help.

How to root.....biggest thing to remember on a Windows machine...make sure your drivers to connect your phone to your PC work first, because it may take a few different drivers being installed before you figure out which one works for you.
http://androidforums.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/474570-how-all-things-root-samsung-galaxy-nexus.html

Honestly plan for several hours to root and be happy with everything, so feel free to ask someone to be available to help when you do it.

Then get to romming. Ultimately a rom is exactly what you want from your phone, what options etc. And can be a personal choice, since there are so many out there. That is one great thing about this phone...so many devs working with it!!!!...but, I am running the following:

AOKP B25:
http://androidforums.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/470145-rom-4-0-3-aokp-m3-b25-mods-2-24-2012-a.html

Leankernal 2.2.0:
http://androidforums.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/472462-kernel-4-0-3-lean-2-2-0-2-22-12-a.html

Good luck and have fun!!!!

Reactions: DoctorEyeSight
Upvote 0
Okay, I am about to root it right now using Wug's Toolkit: Wug's Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit

After I do that, what should I do? Any important things I should do? Also, top 5 things I should do after it :D I'm excited, too much excitement for a 1st time android user. :D

Best phone out there...good choice.....
Here are a few links to get you started. Just another suggestion too: read and don't hesitate to pm or ask for help.

How to root.....biggest thing to remember on a Windows machine...make sure your drivers to connect your phone to your PC work first, because it may take a few different drivers being installed before you figure out which one works for you.
http://androidforums.com/verizon-ga...how-all-things-root-samsung-galaxy-nexus.html

Honestly plan for several hours to root and be happy with everything, so feel free to ask someone to be available to help when you do it.

Then get to romming. Ultimately a rom is exactly what you want from your phone, what options etc. And can be a personal choice, since there are so many out there. That is one great thing about this phone...so many devs working with it!!!!...but, I am running the following:

AOKP B25:
http://androidforums.com/verizon-ga...5-rom-4-0-3-aokp-m3-b25-mods-2-24-2012-a.html

Leankernal 2.2.0:
http://androidforums.com/verizon-ga...472462-kernel-4-0-3-lean-2-2-0-2-22-12-a.html

Good luck and have fun!!!!

Upvote 0
Please tell me the dangerous sides of rooting and dangerous sides of unlocking?

I'm not sure what has gotten you to want to root or your idea of 5 things?? Why to root is personal preference you must understand consequences if you don't fully think these ideas through. We're here to help just understand your Gnexus is still a cell phone in the end.

Upvote 0
Having trouble with getting phone to recognize device on PC and download it's right drivers....

Okay, I am about to root it right now using Wug's Toolkit: Wug's Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit

After I do that, what should I do? Any important things I should do? Also, top 5 things I should do after it :D I'm excited, too much excitement for a 1st time android user. :D

Upvote 0
Dude, you don't need to root to pirate apps.. and furthermore.. most good apps are free already and there are sales and stuff like getjar where you can get free apps... for example Cerberus is giving away free lifetime licenses right now.

Additionally, most Android users frown on piracy because we want to support app developers.. and also, the apps cost so little that you probably will end up spending a total of $30 on all the apps you will ever use. If you can afford a Galaxy Nexus, you can afford to pay that much for some apps.

Upvote 0
ZeroOne, everyone has bad experiences with rooting at one point. But like it's been said numerous times throughout this forum, it's VERY VERY hard to actually brick a gnex. You may think you bricked it, but people on this forum can solve almost ANY problem with our phones. If you want an easy "one step" root use this Wug's Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit

It is very simple, follow the directions. There is also a video directions on that same post. Yes there are risks to rooting, flashing roms, flashing kernels, flashing radios and more. But they can also be beneficial.

Use this http://androidforums.com/verizon-ga...how-all-things-root-samsung-galaxy-nexus.html for any information about flashing roms and all that. Just make sure you read up on every rom and kernel before flashing any. some kernels aren't compatible with some roms. So just read and do your research and ask questions. You wont be flamed or anything, we were all beginners at one point!

Upvote 0
WHY is it so serious? You make it sound like it is so dangerous LOL

There is always a risk trying to convince someone the Gnexus is unbrick able is lying or that that rooting is always the right way isn't the answer. Enhanced apps,over clocking, custom roms with rooting is serious no matter how experienced or what device thank you kindly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones