• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Before rooting, I need to confirm a few things...

Travisimo

Android Enthusiast
My only experience with rooting was with a Droid X over a year ago, and it was basically a 1-click method. After reading the root guide above, things seem a bit different on the Gnex, so I've come to confirm a few things before I get started.

First of all, I have already unlocked the Bootloader (did this on day one so I wouldn't have to erase everything again). So I have the Samsung drivers installed, have adb and fastboot ready to go, and know how to enter Recovery by holding both volume keys and the power key.

However, before rooting I'd like to clarify a few things:

1) When I root, I won't lose all of my apps, homescreens, or app data, right?

2) I'm not sure whether to use the Clockwork or Superboot method as outlined in the root guide? The Superboot method seems easier since I am already Bootloader unlocked, but I wanted advice first?

3) In the Clockwork method, it says I can either "softboot" the custom recovery or "flash" it. I don't understand the difference? By custom recovery, we mean the screen that appears when you do the power button + volume button restart, right?

If I just softboot it, that means it only appears for that instance while I am finishing the root? And if I flash it, it means I now will have permanent custom recovery, right? If I do the former, I'll be able to run root apps, but will not be able to do nandroid backups or flash roms, right? If I do the latter, I'll be able to do it all but will not be able to get OTA updates without restoring the stock recovery? Please correct me if I'm not understanding this correctly.

4) My main reason for rooting at this point is just to do nandroid backups and use Titanium Backup to backup/restore app data. At this time, I am not interested in roms or anything else. Given that, what is my best method for rooting while still retaining the ability to do OTA updates?

Thanks!

Unlocking the Bootloader is really the most invasive step to rooting the Gnex, actually getting root will not erase anything as all you are technically doing is adding the SuperUser App and binaries. I would suggest doing the Superboot method, it is easy and quick.

If you still want OTA updates it is important that you do not change the recovery, so if you do not use the Superboot method you are going to want to follow the softboot method of booting up Clockwork...

If you still want OTA updates it is important that you do not change the recovery, so if you do not use the Superboot method you are going to want to follow the softboot method of booting up Clockwork...

Like the OP, I do not care about custom ROMs at this point either.

I want OTA updates. So, Superboot flashes a custom recovery and will break OTA? i.e. can you please clarify your statement above (speak to me like I'm 5).

Like the OP, I do not care about custom ROMs at this point either.

I want OTA updates. So, Superboot flashes a custom recovery and will break OTA? i.e. can you please clarify your statement above (speak to me like I'm 5).

The Superboot method will not flash a custom recovery. I used the Superboot method as I was also going to stay stock to get OTAs, however being a flash addict that didn't last too long and I have since installed Clockwork (custom recovery) and flashed some ROMs...

Superboot did not install a recovery at all and I had to install Clockwork myself before I flashed my first ROM. So Superboot will be fine if you are not wanting to install a custom recovery.

What about making nandroid backups? Can you do this while still keeping the ability to do ota updates?

If you softboot Clockwork you should be able to make a nandroid backup without overwriting the stock recovery. Just folow the instructions to softboot CW, once in CW go to backup/restore and make a backup. You will have to softboot CW whenever you want to restore the backup though.

If you softboot Clockwork you should be able to make a nandroid backup without overwriting the stock recovery. Just folow the instructions to softboot CW, once in CW go to backup/restore and make a backup. You will have to softboot CW whenever you want to restore the backup though.

UPDATE:

I successfully rooted using the Superboot method and the only problem I encountered was the aforementioned warning regarding pulling the battery after running the script. I did have to do that, but the phone booted up just fine after that. Verified that Superuser was installed. Installed Titanium and Root Explorer. All is well. :-)

I have not made a Nandroid backup yet. To clarify your above statement, I would have to hook up my phone to my PC again to softboot the Clockwork Recovery to both backup and restore a Nandroid, right? The only other option is to flash the Recovery, which would disable OTA updates unless I flash the stock images back to factory (and thus wipe the phone), right?

One followup question if you don't mind:

I have backed up my apps using Titanium Backup, but how does a restore work if you have to wipe your phone for some reason? I assume I have to manually copy the Titanium backup files to my PC regularly in case something happened to my phone? Since the Nexus does not have a separate memory storage location, I assume that my backup files would be erased if I were to install custom roms or use Nandroid backups?

Specifically, let's say I do a Nandroid backup and then use Titanium to backup in the interim. If I need to restore using my Nandroid backup, wouldn't that also erase the Titanium backup files that were written after the Nandroid backup I'm restoring from? So i assume that before any restoration from a Nandroid backup, I'd want to copy the Titanium backup files to my PC and then copy them back after the nandroid restore? This is a little confusing to me, so I'm not sure if I understand correctly or not?

Thanks again!

UPDATE:

I successfully rooted using the Superboot method and the only problem I encountered was the aforementioned warning regarding pulling the battery after running the script. I did have to do that, but the phone booted up just fine after that. Verified that Superuser was installed. Installed Titanium and Root Explorer. All is well. :-)

I have not made a Nandroid backup yet. To clarify your above statement, I would have to hook up my phone to my PC again to softboot the Clockwork Recovery to both backup and restore a Nandroid, right? The only other option is to flash the Recovery, which would disable OTA updates unless I flash the stock images back to factory (and thus wipe the phone), right?

One followup question if you don't mind:

I have backed up my apps using Titanium Backup, but how does a restore work if you have to wipe your phone for some reason? I assume I have to manually copy the Titanium backup files to my PC regularly in case something happened to my phone? Since the Nexus does not have a separate memory storage location, I assume that my backup files would be erased if I were to install custom roms or use Nandroid backups?

Specifically, let's say I do a Nandroid backup and then use Titanium to backup in the interim. If I need to restore using my Nandroid backup, wouldn't that also erase the Titanium backup files that were written after the Nandroid backup I'm restoring from? So i assume that before any restoration from a Nandroid backup, I'd want to copy the Titanium backup files to my PC and then copy them back after the nandroid restore? This is a little confusing to me, so I'm not sure if I understand correctly or not?

Thanks again!

To softboot into Clockwork you will have to hook your phone back up to the PC yes. There should be instructions in the how to root thread on how to softboot clockwork.

As for TB, it is always good to keep a back up file on your PC just in case. However your Nandroid backup should not effect the SD partition on the phone (at least mine haven't). I have done full wipes before I install any ROM and have never lost any SD card data. What I usually do when installing a new ROM is to go into the market and download TiBu, then start restoring things with it.

If you are not going to be using custom ROMs and simply wanting to restore your Nandroid backup then it should restore everything exactly the way it was when your back up was made. So all that you would need to do is go into TiBu (which should be there if you had it installed before you made the Nandroid) and restore the latest data for your apps.

A Nandroid should not effect the contents of your SD card at all.

Just have to point out the obvious that once new versions of ICS are released the dev community will usually have a rooted copy before VZW pushes it out. Meaning, you can flash the updated stock rooted ROM or flash the updated version of the ROM you're running and have the OTA well before everyone who is stock

However your Nandroid backup should not effect the SD partition on the phone (at least mine haven't).

Great! Thanks, that's what I needed to know. I had originally assumed that it wipes your whole storage. I guess I was making it more difficult than it needed to be! :D

Great! Thanks, that's what I needed to know. I had originally assumed that it wipes your whole storage. I guess I was making it more difficult than it needed to be! :D

Just think of it as your phone having 2 drives. One, CWM see's as the internal, and the other one it sees as the SD Card. But the SD card (or virtual sd card) is actually a partition on the internal, but CWM doesn't know this. Or it does & it just reports it as your sd card. Confusing you yet? :D

One additional thought...Tibu has a function that allows you to export an "update.zip" file that sits on your sd card. This update zip then allows you to flash TIbu like a ROM in recovery. The benefit is that you can flash the ROM, then reboot, before doing all your "Market" stuff, re-enter recovery and flash the Tibu Update Zip (I like to boot the ROM before flashing more stuff in case of a problem). Now you can restore all your apps/data-with those apps, without going to the market to get Tibu. I like that option of being able to get this going in the event I can't get a signal/data exchange. Just sayin...

goto settings>more>you will see the option.

Back
Top Bottom