• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Fascinate

It's not an attack at all, nor was it directed at you (EDIT: fixed who I quoted to eliminate confusion), I just think some people are getting confused on internal memory vs RAM vs sdcard. I just wanted to put it into perspective that if 2GB is considered too small, then my Droid is an embarrassment! Yes, more would be desirable, but not an issue for me. And yes, you are correct about the FFC. I cannot find myself using it at all. I don't want to hold up my phone in front of me seeing my ugly mug! Not to mention video chat would really only be able to be utilized over wifi....at least until LTE rolls out. I really am looking forward to this phone now that the Droid X has been eliminated from my options.

Same boat as you.

2gig is more than enough for any app you can imagine, unless you plan on downloading all ~100k apps in the market. If it's for music/video, then the SD card should cover it.

Are people wanting to put their entire movie collection on their phone these days?

Upvote 0
iv played with the new fascinate and the phone is amazingly thin and the screen is so bright and vibrant with color. and launch on it should be sometime from mid august to sept 1st. the 4inch display is a nice middle ground from the incredible and the obnoxiously large 4.3 on the x. im pretty excited for this phone to come out.

Upvote 0
iv played with the new fascinate and the phone is amazingly thin and the screen is so bright and vibrant with color. and launch on it should be sometime from mid august to sept 1st. the 4inch display is a nice middle ground from the incredible and the obnoxiously large 4.3 on the x. im pretty excited for this phone to come out.
It comes down to your preference. Fascinate is better for photo, video but it you do a lot of reading X's LCD is definitely preferable. I actually would have like it better if Fascinate had 4.3 inch or even larger.

Upvote 0
FYI, on the memory....

Some devices are supporting 4 different memory types in Android. Unfortunately, Android isn't designed to effectively really use it.

- Internal main memory (ROM'ish): OS, Installed applications (2.1 and earlier)
- Internal RAM: Memory for running processes/applications
- Internal User Memory: This is the multi-GB of storage. No applications can be installed to this and it uses a unique \path\ that developers don't develop against. Therefore, it is only useful for user storage when placed in mass storage mode
- External User Memory: this is microSD, \sd-card\. Here the OS and develoeprs know what to do.

So based on this, the cost of adding internal storage for the user has been reduced by shifting to larger pre-installed microSD cards that all parties can use.
-

Upvote 0
I am waiting for the Fascinate as the Droid X does not look like a high end device to me (even though it is a very good device). I use my phone mostly for Twitter, Facebook and web browsing. So better graphic works for me.

I saw one of the youtube video that it has geotagging which is very sweet.

Now, may I ask if the Fascinate has a front facing camera like the HTC EVO? And what is the resolution? If it does, I can replace my webcam with the Fascinate on my conference calls.

Upvote 0
I am waiting for the Fascinate as the Droid X does not look like a high end device to me (even though it is a very good device). I use my phone mostly for Twitter, Facebook and web browsing. So better graphic works for me.

I saw one of the youtube video that it has geotagging which is very sweet.

Now, may I ask if the Fascinate has a front facing camera like the HTC EVO? And what is the resolution? If it does, I can replace my webcam with the Fascinate on my conference calls.
First, no it doesn't have a FFC.
How would having a better GPU help you with Twitter (lots of texts), Facebook (once again lots of texts and some pictures), web browsing (lots of texts, photos, videos). Where Fascinate shines is in 3D graphics, in 3D games.
Also, due to pentile display used in all AMOLED type screens, the actual resolution is pseudo-WVGA. Some may disagree and say it's fine for them, which is probably true but the fact remains that the screen does not fully display the advertised resolution.
With that said, I think Fascinate is a beautiful phone where X is very industrial looking phone with rugged design and physical buttons. X is all about functionality versus aesthetics.

Reactions: ckochinsky125
Upvote 0
Can u video chat live such as through the tango app on the samsung fascinate bc I downloaded it on my boyfriends htc evo and I dont show up under his contacts to video chat nd he doesnt show up on mine...if it is possible to vidro chat how do I do it someone please help me

We don't have a front facing camera....i think it is possible (i've never looked into it so i could be wrong) to use the regular camera.to have a 1 way chat....but that's kind of pointless imo

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones