• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Goodbye Nexicans - and thanks!

joesixpack

Android Enthusiast
Since my Nexus took a fatal swim last week, I decided to get a Galaxy S4 as a replacement. So I guess that I'll be going to that forum to bug people.

Just wanted to take a moment to thank all of you GNexers for your advice, suggestions and patience. Everyone here was so helpful, and hopefully the S4 crowd will be just as accomodating. Thanks all, and happy trails!

sixpack!

We'll miss you around these parts. But feel free to drop into the Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole whenever (link in my signature). Once a Nexican, always a Nexican. Have fun with your GS4!

Oh yeah, 15 day buyer's remorse. I remember when it was 30....

And I remember when there wasn't a $30 'upgrade' fee. Rumor has it that the bootloader is locked on the S4 for VZW, so I imagine development will be a bit less. . . .

I remember when my phone had a two-inch screen and I was happy with that! God, I'm old.

BTW, am I the only one who finds it ironic that the ringtone I hear people using the most on their "cutting edge" smartphones is the one that sounds like my mom's old Bell phone?

Was messing around on YouTube tonight and came across the Gnex Hitler rant vid, couldn't help but watch it again. Still funny. Kinda seems like a long time ago and kinda seems like last week. Anyway, enjoy the S4 man. :)

there is already a workaround. Loki i believe it is called. Not a true bootloader unlock but basically bypasses the stock bootloader i believe. Could be wrong but something close to that.

edit. Found the info

Bootloader Bypass Tool Released for Verizon and AT&T Galaxy S4, DROID DNA Sees S-OFF Too – Droid Life

Yep, more or less an aboot patch that adds an extra signature allowance to the bootloader check, then recovery, kernels, and roms take on that signature and thus the bootloader permits them booting.

Since my Nexus took a fatal swim last week, I decided to get a Galaxy S4 as a replacement. So I guess that I'll be going to that forum to bug people.

Just wanted to take a moment to thank all of you GNexers for your advice, suggestions and patience. Everyone here was so helpful, and hopefully the S4 crowd will be just as accomodating. Thanks all, and happy trails!

My Nexus survived its swim, although without a working camera :(

I'm seriously considering the S4 so I expect a good review!

especially, your opinion of the radios compared to the GN

THANKS!

I just picked up a Samsung Galaxy Note II today for $150 at Best Buy (all Galaxy phones get a $50 gift card in the mail). They even let me use the card to buy the phone. Go figure. :D

So guess my GN days are about over too.

Nice device. Would prefer a 32 gb dev phone, since this one is only 16, but it does have a sd card slot that will hold a 32 gb soon. Very fast, nice big removable battery. Sweet screen. Already rooted and on my 2nd rom....

I just picked up a Samsung Galaxy Note II today for $150 at Best Buy (all Galaxy phones get a $50 gift card in the mail). They even let me use the card to buy the phone. Go figure. :D

So guess my GN days are about over too.

Nice device. Would prefer a 32 gb dev phone, since this one is only 16, but it does have a sd card slot that will hold a 32 gb soon. Very fast, nice big removable battery. Sweet screen. Already rooted and on my 2nd rom....

That is the one phone out right now that has tempted me to lose the unlimited. Might wait for the 3 or the true Moto flagship.

I heard the Note III is expected this fall. I wouldn't doubt they're reducing inventory in anticipation of that.

I heard the Note III is expected this fall. I wouldn't doubt they're reducing inventory in anticipation of that.
How do you like the Note II, considering that you came from stock Android...or is it running an AOSP ROM already?

It's too ASOP. I haven't had to check out the tablet-specific (stylus) apps yet.

I wasn't a fan of Touchwiz tho. I was on Sourcery before the upgrade. :D

I picked up the phone, rooted it, backed up the stock rom (partially set up) and wanted to have ASOP appearance before we left the house for the evening. So didn't spend much time on stock.

I'm headed out of the Nexus days myself starting tomorrow. :(
Found a great deal on an S3 to get me through the rest of our contract, and I can also give the lady my Gnex since her Bionic is just oh so bad. :rolleyes:
Will have to find out if she wants it to stay rooted or roll it back and lock it up.

Back
Top Bottom