• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Restore CWM backup on a different phone?

KrazyKarl

I'm having some issues with my power/volume buttons not working (have to push really hard and in just the right place for anything to happen) and I'm thinking about trying to get a replacemnt. If I make a backup using Rom Manager, can I restore that on my new phone, or are backups tied to a specific phone?
Thanks guys!

No, because there isn't a removable sdcard in the nexus. So it wont make a difference if you revert it to stock

No, because there isn't a removable sdcard in the nexus. So it wont make a difference if you revert it to stock

What?

Having or not having a Sdcard would have NO affect on this.

While I'm not sure about moving the actually nandroid back-up to another phone. (I'm pretty sure people have done this and it works, but don't take my word for it. note: if you use google wallet unlink it)

edit: A quick google returned the below which may help you.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=728266

http://android.modaco.com/topic/335797-nandroid-on-another-phone/

Seems there may MAC address issues, the second link talks about them and how to fix. YMMV use at your own risk.

KrazyKarl (love that username!),

I've moved your thread per a request from VS to the all-things-root area.

By the way, you should be able to restore a Nandroid backup taken from your current GNex to a new one (no issues as long as its the same hardware setup).

Also, there's a few touch-based versions of ClockworkMod floating around that don't require the use of the hardware keys for navigating. That might help you out a bit in the future, too.

Cheers and good luck!

-SA

Just to confirm, a CWM backup can be restored on a different Galaxy Nexus, as I just did that this weekend (I'm on my third Galaxy Nexus).

With no SD card, it's a little tougher, but all you do is unlock the bootloader first, which will wipe everything. Then boot your new phone, you don't need to log into Google or anything, just let it activate and turn on. Then copy the clockwork folder right into the 'topmost available folder' - the one available to the computer (which is actually /sdcard/).

Then you can reboot into bootloader mode, boot into CWM recovery, and restore. I had no MAC address issues that I know of... huh, I should check that, but I'm not at home at the moment.

i was wrong, did not think you could do that. but i guess if you remove the nandroid from your phone internal storage, and just put it on your pc, then move it to your new phone it could work... i really didnt think about that when i was typing that. thanks for the heads up crash and scary

Back
Top Bottom