• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Root the Verizon GSIII without flashing

Is there a stock image that can be used to take you back to stock non rooted from this method?
Firmware archive | Samsung Updates

If I were to do this method, can someone please list or explain to me what I can do with the phone and what extra features/ apps I should get once I finish.
avast!
AdAway
EZ Recovery for S3
X-plore
CPU Spy (or comparable app)
Micro CPU Monitor
Titanium Backup
WiFi Tether for Root Users (may not be needed after 31 July FCC ruling, need to test)
+ get rid of that obnoxious boot animation

Upvote 0
I know this info is out there somewhere but I can't seem to find it. Is there a stock image that can be used to take you back to stock non rooted from this method?

Thanks

Actually, if you read through that thread, you don't actually have to flash a stock image to unroot. See post #44. Keeps the same image the phone had out of the box, which is one of the benefits of this root method. :)

Upvote 0
I'm not sure all of what you are asking.

The WiFi "Connected to ... network" is stubborn. SynergyROM is supposed to have killed it but I still get it. If you find a way, let me know. As far as other WiFi notifications go, there are options in settings.

As for bloat removal, that list is all I've found and, yes, most VZW stuff isn't on it. All I can say is experiment and use sound judgment.

I used ODIN to revert to factory. Unfortunately, I could only find a VRALF2 image and my phone came with VRALG1. I did find a factory G1 kernel and modem though, just not an official, signed G1 system or complete ROM.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure all of what you are asking.

The WiFi "Connected to ... network" is stubborn. SynergyROM is supposed to have killed it but I still get it. If you find a way, let me know. As far as other WiFi notifications go, there are options in settings.
youre talking about this "ongoing" notification?

screenshot-2012-07-15-14-39-04.png

and you want it to be more like this...with no notification??

screenshot-2012-07-16-20-36-38.png

if thats true you need to get something like SQLite Editor...

the only problem with removing this is that the phone no longer has a way to notify you that there are WiFi networks in range...

Upvote 0
Anyway, as for this method of rooting, I get the impression from the XDA thread that there may be some quirkiness to it.

Update: The only potential issue I can see is if someone assumes BusyBox is installed and uses an app that requires it without installing BusyBox from the Play store.

Otherwise, I used this method after reverting to OEM stock and it worked well. I recommend it over root66 (which is old firmware).

Upvote 0
Otherwise, I used this method after reverting to OEM stock and it worked well. I recommend it over root66 (which is old firmware).

i used root66 on my original phone...worked fine...after replacing that phone for a buggy issue with switching between 4G/3G/Wifi i used the "no flash" root

i can say personally that i had PAINFULLY slow 4G data speeds after using the "no flash" version of root...tried a factory reset...same thing...flashed root66 and my speeds are at least double in the same spots...

most likely a coincidence...but just an observation...

as for root66 being "old firmware" lets clarify that its the PROPER firmware for 90% of VZW GS3 users...if you have the original firmware on your phone its not like the "no flash" root will magically upgrade your firmware...

Upvote 0
Phones sold now are already updated to VRALG1. The "Updated" sticker on the phone and its box makes me wonder if its even available via OTA update (F2 said there were no updates available and firmware updates are disabled for this phone in Kies).

I noticed a slight increase in performance (to include FPS) over F2. As for what you observed, correlation does not imply causation: you would need more data points and/or reliably repeat the issue.

I like this method as it keeps everything intact (and not inherit another ROMs issues) and is the minimum amount of force necessary to get the job done.

re: WiFi notification. No, I'm referring to the annoying popup near the bottom of the screen whenever you connect to a WiFi network automatically.

Upvote 0
Phones sold now are already updated to VRALG1. The "Updated" sticker on the phone and its box makes me wonder if its even available via OTA update (F2 said there were no updates available and firmware updates are disabled for this phone in Kies).
its not available as an OTA...i replaced my phone on July 28 and am still on the original FW...

I noticed a slight increase in performance (to include FPS) over F2. As for what you observed, correlation does not imply causation: you would need more data points and/or reliably repeat the issue.
i agree completely...but its no less valid as your reasons for preferring the new method

I like this method as it keeps everything intact (and not inherit another ROMs issues) and is the minimum amount of force necessary to get the job done.
see i think thats debatable...

root66 is nothing more than a factory ODIN flash with su added...

re: WiFi notification. No, I'm referring to the annoying popup near the bottom of the screen whenever you connect to a WiFi network automatically.
ohhhh the toast notification saying youve connected?...im sure it can be disabled...but that is above my pay grade...

Upvote 0
I rooted with the no flash option used sqlite editor and got rid of the nofication and autoconnect. That is what's been killing. I work for a wireless network company and its always auto connecting. I had to go back to stock because for some reason it would not view certain webpages. I have never experienced a browser issue with root before :(

Upvote 0
i agree completely...but its no less valid as your reasons for preferring the new method
Negative. root66 destroyed any current means of putting my phone back to out-of-the-box OEM state, since it shipped with VRALG1. It left me with that not-so-fresh feeling. :eek:

root66 is nothing more than a factory ODIN flash with su added...
The devs on xda tried using root66 as a base but abandoned it because it's screwed up. I only used root66 to get root to flash recovery so I could flash other ROMs.

ohhhh the toast notification saying youve connected?...im sure it can be disabled...but that is above my pay grade...
Yes! That...that...thing. Need a ToastAway app. :D

Upvote 0
Negative. root66 destroyed any current means of putting my phone back to out-of-the-box OEM state, since it shipped with VRALG1. It left me with that not-so-fresh feeling. :eek:
well why would you flash an older FW over your newer one? thats just not very smart...

The devs on xda tried using root66 as a base but abandoned it because it's screwed up. I only used root66 to get root to flash recovery so I could flash other ROMs.
root66 is perfectly fine...NoSympathy's 100% stock de-odexed base is however going to be a much better base for ROMs...ive had ZERO ill effects running it since it was first released

Yes! That...that...thing. Need a ToastAway app. :D
whats difficult about that is that they are embedded into each app...you would have to find where that specific one is and disable it

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones