• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Root the Verizon GSIII without flashing

well why would you flash an older FW over your newer one? thats just not very smart...
Unforseen consequences. Lack of sleep and/or caffeine. Attending classes at the School of Hard Knocks.

I was thinking root66 only did the system and not the kernel and firmware--that was NoSympathy's ROM and it all must have blurred together... :confused:

Here's a weird one: NoSympathy's ROM triggered the "Custom" unlocked-lock icon but SynergyROM did not.

Well I just used odin to flash the root66 on my phone. Everything is running fine and I just read I lost my new firmware and I cant get it back :(

alexander323bc-albums-s3-picture6598-screenshot-2012-08-07-20-47-08-1.png

I just got it on friday, So I am surprised its not 1. I should have checked it before rooting.

So my computer wont recognize my phone to root... It shows up as a mobile device, but i cant drag/drop files to it, and the root tool cant find it... followed all steps, what do i do?

EDIT: Came home from work and it decided to work:)

So my computer wont recognize my phone to root... It shows up as a mobile device, but i cant drag/drop files to it, and the root tool cant find it... followed all steps, what do i do?

Are you plugging the phone directly into the computer? Do not use a USB hub. PC or MAC? What OS?

I had something similar happen to me yesterday but just with my wife's phone, not mine. I reinstalled the USB drivers and it was fine. Odd.

So, excuse my ignorance but... Will either methods work with the new G1 firmware? I've not got an SIII yet but may do in the next few days.

Brought our new S3's today and instantly rooted them and put CWM 5.8 on (I like touch and don't need 6 goodness yet).

My SU binary doesn't show what apps have been granted SU permissions. I did update it but still see nothing. Rooted apps seem to work OK (apart from a weird issue with TB), for example root explorer dives into all the protected folders with no apparent problems.

In addition any root app I run for the first time runs without the SU prompt.

Flashed G1 using ODIN. I was on G1 stock previously.

Also, when I reboot it tells me Custom with the open padlock. I assume I could just re flash stock to make that go away if I needed to return the phone, right?

- Flashing rooted G1 or rooting won't trigger "Custom" (yes, wiping & flashing stock will clear it) but some other things will (modifying System.APK seems to be one). Note that it won't trigger until after a reboot.

- Run Superuser app first, check its configuration (prompts, etc.). I noticed odd behaviour if that wasn't run. You could clear caches to see if quirkiness vanishes.

Back
Top Bottom