• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Vzw update assistant

recDNA

Android Enthusiast
I am rooted in safestrap with stock rom in rom slot (SDM frozen) and Hyperdrive 7 in slot 1. I am running slot 1. When I connected to my computer with usb 3 cable I noticed vzw upgrade assistant apk is shown on phone connected in media mode. Why is that there? With SDM frozen I shouldn't have to worry about a pushed ota should I? Were they tryi g to push it from my computer? Do Inhave to worry about ever going back to rom slot with 4.3 stick rooted frozen sdm for fear of ota being there?

I don't know if I can answer your question or not. I am running Hyperdrive in slot 1 as well and I have nothing frozen. My understanding is the Hyperdrive has the OTA update turned off and will not download and install 4.4. I did switch to stock a couple of days ago for about a day and I got the Verizon update notice. The options were install now or later. I selected later and it wanted me to pick a time. Needless to say, I powered down and booted into Hyperdrive and no issues and no update notices.

As far as pushing it through the computer, never heard of that.

I had SDM frozen in stock rom to prevent just that. It is possible to delete that update before it is installed. I read it in one of thousands of. Posts in hundreds of threads I've read but I don't remember the procedure to do it... Only that it is possible. Once the update itself is deleted you still get warnings but I read you can choose install, the install fails since there is no file to install, then notices go away.

Since In froze SDM the same day I rooted I never saw the need to remember what to do. Anyway now I fear even booting into the stock rom and I'm nervous about connecting to my computer by usb.

If you get the chance when you need to back up nandroids or something connect to your computer by usb in media mode and see if verizon upgrade assistant. Apk is there. I don't remember ever seeing it before. I searched for it in my phone but can't find the file. It only shows up when I connect as media to my computer.
I thought by freezing sdm in stock rom in rom slot i was safe. Now I'm not so sure.

What are you going to do about your stock slot? Just never boot back into it?

I don't know if I can answer your question or not. I am running Hyperdrive in slot 1 as well and I have nothing frozen. My understanding is the Hyperdrive has the OTA update turned off and will not download and install 4.4. I did switch to stock a couple of days ago for about a day and I got the Verizon update notice. The options were install now or later. I selected later and it wanted me to pick a time. Needless to say, I powered down and booted into Hyperdrive and no issues and no update notices.

As far as pushing it through the computer, never heard of that.
This is what I saw when I connected to computer in media mode and clicked on the file folder that popped up for the phone. It appeared to begin running so I disconnected. If you connect in media mode and click on the folder (in Hyperdrive 7) do you see this?

5ygu3ynu.jpg

The directions to get rid of the ota notification are here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2753732

Sorry, I missed your questions. When I plug in running Hyperdrive RSL7 I get the "Autoplay" popup and one of the selections is that VZW Update Assistant. I just close out of the popup and forget about it...nothing ever happens.

On your other question, I just leave the Stock Rom in the stock slot for now and I have it if I need to boot to it sometime. If I move up to 4.4.2 then I will have to wipe it out and install 4.4.2 in the stock slot because right now that is the only place it will run.

Sorry, I missed your questions. When I plug in running Hyperdrive RSL7 I get the "Autoplay" popup and one of the selections is that VZW Update Assistant. I just close out of the popup and forget about it...nothing ever happens.

On your other question, I just leave the Stock Rom in the stock slot for now and I have it if I need to boot to it sometime. If I move up to 4.4.2 then I will have to wipe it out and install 4.4.2 in the stock slot because right now that is the only place it will run.

Thanks for getting back to me. At one point with the popup on the screen the phone usb choices changed so media mode changed to the word downloading. I was able to quickly select usb 3 mode to stop it (I hope). It had no effect on hyperdrive 7 but I wondered if it is possible it somehow messed up the stock rom in the stock slot? Of course my concern being if I ever wish to go back to stock rom to use safestrap to uninstall recovery and stock rom is borked I might brick my phone. At this time I have no intention of ever upgrading to KK.

I am hoping that my concern is unfounded and that while in h7 nothing that happened could affect the stock slot but I don't know enough about android to know.

Getting your response inspired me to just try to boot into stock rom figuring I could Odin to stock if I ran into a problem. Fortunately, the stock rom booted up fine and I got no update notice (SDM is frozen). Things started to sync fine so I saw no reason to tempt fate and successfully booted back into h7 in slot 1. Hopefully, I was needlessly concerned... But I paid $700 for this spectacular phone so I would hate to brick it!

Back
Top Bottom