• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

vertical alphabet in Contacts (People) list

sdh73

Another thing lost with the new Andriod version.

The Contacts list used to have a vertical alphabet along the right edge of the screen. You could tap any letter and the list scrolled to the first entry starting with that letter. Very useful.

It's gone.

Google if you read forums like this, the new OS version SUCKS!!!!!!!!

Hit the (...) and pick ALL CONTACTS and you will get it..
What bugs me more is you only get three favorites to show at any one time.

Hit the (...) and pick ALL CONTACTS and you will get it..
What bugs me more is you only get three favorites to show at any one time.

I did already have All Contacts selected. The list just isnt there, on my phone at least. But I just noticed this; there's a scrollbar now where the alphabet list used to be. If you tap anywhere on the scroll bar, the list scrolls to that point in the list; but it's a ratio within the list, it doesnt go directly to the first contact starting with a specified letter.
But then if you drag the scrollbar, it shows a big popout to the left with the letter index. I don't remember if the previous OS had that.

So I guess it doesn't suck as much as I originally thought, but I still resent the removal of the alphabet.

I wasn't even aware of Favorites before your post, so I can't say that bothers me. But if it's now limited to 3 when previously you could have more, yeah that sucks.

Another data point... There's no "upgrade" with this OS.

Update. (Because I still think KitKat sucks.)

The "big popout" "letter index" is not very useable because your finger partially covers it when scrolling, if you're using your right thumb. And if you're using your left thumb then it completely covers the letter.

The previous scroll was better.

The people at Google in charge of KitKat deserve to lose their jobs.

Back
Top Bottom