• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Viewsonic 10" Gtab 1GHz Tegra 2 $379 @ Sears.com

If Viewsonic fixes the mapping locations of the internal flash, microsd and USB and updates the OS with less Tap UI and better Tegra 2 support, this device could end up being huge. Better specs than Archos 101 and a LOT more app space.

Plus Sears and Kmart have better distribution Channels than Archos does (Archos is very lazy).

Device app space comparison:

G-tablet = 1.62gb

Archos 101 = 200mb

Not fair really ;)

Upvote 0
Rushmore and Wintermute000,

Could you provide speicific issue with wifi on the device? I am getting some conflicting information. It seems to meet some people's standard, but there are few comments that wifi is not meeting the expectation. Does it not connecting at all? Does it have very weak signal? Does the connection go on and off? Is there anyway of quantifying "wifi issue"?

I guess I am really trying to understand if this is isoldated incident of wifi truly failing on defective unit, or more broad and general problem for all of ViewSonic G-Tab, or if it is something that is not meeting higher standard.

Do other people have problem with wifi? It would be great if we can get some feeback from people who used the wifi on G-Tab.

Please understand that I am not as tech savvy as some of you are, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Upvote 0
Rushmore and Wintermute000,

Could you provide speicific issue with wifi on the device? I am getting some conflicting information. It seems to meet some people's standard, but there are few comments that wifi is not meeting the expectation. Does it not connecting at all? Does it have very weak signal? Does the connection go on and off? Is there anyway of quantifying "wifi issue"?

I guess I am really trying to understand if this is isoldated incident of wifi truly failing on defective unit, or more broad and general problem for all of ViewSonic G-Tab, or if it is something that is not meeting higher standard.

Do other people have problem with wifi? It would be great if we can get some feeback from people who used the wifi on G-Tab.

Please understand that I am not as tech savvy as some of you are, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Wifi is an issue for some people, but not all. What IS a problem for all is how the internal flash, microsd and USB were mapped. Apps install failures, reboots, bad updates, index errors, force closes, no storage mode when plugged to USB and computer are just a few of the problems that EVERYONE is having.

All Viewsonic have to do is get a Galaxy S 16gb phone or Galaxy Tablet and see how they are mapped- THAT is how this device MUST be mapped, or there will ALWAYS be problems.

Sorry for the caps, but key words ;)

Upvote 0
Wifi is an issue for some people, but not all. What IS a problem for all is how the internal flash, microsd and USB were mapped. Apps install failures, reboots, bad updates, index errors, force closes, no storage mode when plugged to USB and computer are just a few of the problems that EVERYONE is having.

All Viewsonic have to do is get a Galaxy S 16gb phone or Galaxy Tablet and see how they are mapped- THAT is how this device MUST be mapped, or there will ALWAYS be problems.

Sorry for the caps, but key words ;)

Thanks for the clarification on the wifi. I have forwarded your concerns regarding mapping issue to the factory and I will know more about it in next few days.

Also in next few days, software update will be released which includes portal to the PocketGear.

Thank you,

Upvote 0
Thanks for the clarification on the wifi. I have forwarded your concerns regarding mapping issue to the factory and I will know more about it in next few days.

Also in next few days, software update will be released which includes portal to the PocketGear.

Thank you,

Thanks, I really hope they understand that the mapping and storage locations as currently set-up on the G-tablet means permanent problems and very high return rates.

The path to fixing it is to study how the Galaxy S and Tab are set up :) USB host hot swap problems may be separate issue though. Removing a thumbdrive results in system reboot.

The wifi is an issue too, so not demeaning that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones