• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] CM10 Reboot Experiment!

Chairshot215

Android Expert
P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } OK I am going to keep this Short and Sweet. Its been a few month since I have done any developing. Was pretty burnt out at the time after a few years of pretty much doing nothing but the challenges were turning into frustrations. I am honestly now officially a member of the T-Mobile family using a Nexus 5 I have no plans of rooting. Just rooted my Nexus 7 over the weekend after 6 month in a what I now believe was misguided in that I did so only because I have really wanted to start developing again and thought it would be a good place to start. After a little thought and research realized the Nexus has enough help and not much to do unless working on a theme. Anyhow I just realized I am not sticking with my Goal of keeping this short, I lied but so to wrap this part up have only had the Nexus 5 for a day now. Have since been running Stock Victory and its a sweet little phone that never got any loving. I went out and bought a Top-up Card, for the first time actually and now have my Victory up and running again. Not promising release time lines or really anything but am feeling excited about working for the first time in a good while so decided to continue working on the Victory coming from a fresh perspective. With that said it has been nearly 3 or 4 month since I built or flashed anything. Decided today o build and post what is currently committed to Github. A lot has changed since that last VMOBI CM10 Rom from way back that had been posted that badbrainseddie used to apply all his work. Its ashame a newer version had not been available for him to have worked with because seeing what work he had done gave me a short adrenalin boost of interest for a short while because I am big on community and still think we can make this phone shine if anyone who can help is on board. Allot of work was still being done after the first VMOBI Rom never posted I had been so burnt out I didn

Edit still not working for me but also MMS only works on 3G. Also using the Interactive CPU Governor from the Google 3.4 ASOP kernel.

Good to see you back Chairshot and I can't thank you enough for all the help/info you provided me when I was trying to dirty compile the last cm10 build. I look forward to testing/using your work and I will help out as much as I can.

BadBrainsEddie

That's exciting sounds originally like I got this phone right at the stop completely now that I see these names I'm getting a little bit giddy all y'all come back now in Waves even if you got better devices

:0)

Yayyy

And the community lives! I want to thank all of you guys who help out with this stuff for people, like me , who couldn't do it themselves. Its truly awesome!

Would anyone be able to confirm that the siii mini Roms will run on the Victory and if so know of a stable mini Rom built from source?

Also the s3 mini has 2 different chipsets most if not all the roms are for the original dual core novathor at 1ghz. at&t and verizon have lte models with 1.2 ghz chipsets (model wasn't specified) but not sure if the roms are even compatible between the two but if one were for the lte models it might be possible to use. It was attempted but none have booted so far from the original s3 mini custom roms. It was said that the droid incredible 4lte has the exact same chipset as ours and an actual official cm build but I would still figure a lot of things to be different from our samsung.

Off topic Question to Chairshots
How Is T-Mobile Services? I'd Guess the only real way to Go would be the 70.00 Truely Unlimited No Speed Capping ? do they Seem to be honest about that?

Unknown, but you can't take the Victory to it. I dismantled mine carefully and there's no removable SIM at all (I was hoping to 'borrow' it to SIM unlock my HTC One)

Off topic Question to Chairshots
How Is T-Mobile Services? I'd Guess the only real way to Go would be the 70.00 Truely Unlimited No Speed Capping ? do they Seem to be honest about that?

Yes and so far so good. I live close to the center of Philadelphia so I get good service from just about everyone but the T-Mobile plans looked allot closer to what I had been paying from VM for Unlimited service.

@Badbrains, how did you end up fixing the Gallery? I got it up and running by using one of the libs from the siii sprint version so just curious how you had got it working. Thought it was working on the posted Rom but guess I never made the commit. Also thought Tethering had been broken on the posted Rom but has worked perfectly with my Nexus 7 and USB with my Laptop. Going to try switching a few more camera related libs from the same place I found the lib that fixed the Gallery tonight but still curious how you got it working. Knowing both methods may help get closer on the Camera.

Also on a side note Walmart had the Victory on Clearance pretty Cheap, $80 last I saw. Was going to grab one for John but missed out. If anyone happens to find one I would gladly reimburse them if they could pick it up for XinterlopeX. Would be nice to get him back and working on the Kernel as that

I also saw a lot of new in box victories on eBay for $79

Bought one today for $74, thanks again for looking out! Bringing XinterlopeX to the dark side of Virgin Mobile. Figure even if there is no donations its Money well spent getting the device in his hands.

One thing anyone regardless of developing knowledge could do that would be extremely helpful for Victory Development in general would be to take some time and visit this site.

PDAmaster | PDAdb.net

All the devices listed use CPU: 32bit Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 MSM8960 Lite, 1200MHz like the Victory which is on the list.

Could then use the compare options and compare the Victory with the other devices on the list and start a list of what else is the same between these devices and the Victory. So for example if device x,y and z have the same Camera specifications put together a list of what devices do. Same goes with anything else like Ram to GPS or whatever. If we can get a nice list of devices sharing the different pieces of hardware it would be very helpful in so many ways. One example is if working on again the Camera you could use the list to find a device that has a Rom with a working Camera from the list and see how they got it working and or what proprietary files or libs they use. Even better if the device has a supported CM Rom or the developer has their source code available on Github or what not. Anyhow I always read posts from users stating they wish they had some way of helping and thought this would be perfect for those who truly do want to help in whatever way they can so figure giving the development community resources to work with would be helpful. Not only finding the hardware similarities but tracking down Roms with the hardware working and if the developer of the Rom has a Github link on their threads.

Any other dev that could use a Victory? I've long since killed my contact with Sprint and am now pining for the Nexus 5. I should be able to cover shipping charges myself.

Hey now Y'all,

The Camcorder is a working for me and here's how I've gotten it to work with no problemo:

1 - Open Movie Studio.apk
2 - Click on the top right + widget and name the project (Friday - is what I named this particular one) and hit ok.
3 - Click on the top right + again and click Record a Video. Click the Red Button to record and click it again to stop.
4 - Click the Check Sign Widget on the bottom right corner and there you go.

You now have a working Camcorder!

I attached the video in a zip file. Just extract the mp4.

Yeah you right!

If I remember correctly I had fixed the Bluetooth and WiFi issue by using TeachMe's Bluetooth fix.

Also I had problems with call volume being insanely loud even when it was turned down all the way. Before anyone mentions it, it was not on speaker and all settings regarding call volume or volume in general were turned all the way down.

If I remember correctly I had fixed the Bluetooth and WiFi issue by using TeachMe's Bluetooth fix.

Also I had problems with call volume being insanely loud even when it was turned down all the way. Before anyone mentions it, it was not on speaker and all settings regarding call volume or volume in general were turned all the way down.

I have seen quite a few Sprint users with this call volume complaint. Are you on Sprint or VM?

I am on Virgin Mobile.

Don't worry I'm not the type of guy to post in the wrong forum. :)

I think the ROM I was running to achieve the Wifi + Bluetooth was from badbrainseddie. I think I may have even had MMS over 4G but I can't say any of that with 100% certainty. I will try to recover that backup I have and see what actually works and who built the ROM.

Back
Top Bottom